Utility companies

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walter

As I stated earlier I am new and I live in N.C. I received a phone call yesterday from Progress Energy of North Carolina. They called to say that because I had ordered the Leaf I am eligible for a FREE in home charger valued at $1,500 dollars. The only thing I had to do was fill out some questions on-line and I would be put on a list for eligibility. I was given the web site and all was fine, I answered all the questions and provided information requested. I then hit the enter or submit key and it was then and only then that I was informed my Town was not within this energy companies zone. I along with all of my county are part of another power company all together. I have NO idea how the guy who called me didn't know this. I figured he was from the power company, obviously not. Anyway I called MY power company and they offer NO incentives for electric vehicles, in fact the ENTIRE state offers no incentives what so ever. We are however exempt from vehicle inspections with all electric cars. People wonder why sales are low, look no further than your state, local or federal government. Let's not forget the oil companies and all there subsidiaries.......... One other little thing, we aren't going as green as we think with electric cars, after all, more electric means more power plants, more power plants means more oil or coal fired plants................hmmm :)

Sorry for your "abrupt" introduction to government.
Welcome to the EV movement.

Charge at night, when there is plenty of excess generation capacity, and NO NEW power plants are needed.

Encourage local Solar PV installations, and ... before long even a few of the belching Coal-Fired Plants will be shutting down.

Help save the Earth, even in spite of some of the Powerful Forces that pull the Government Strings.

Welcome Aboard!

Is so funny you should mention this. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn) has a very different take on this issue.

"Moreover, the Department of Energy estimates that we have enough idle power in our existing plants that if we plugged our automobiles in at night, we could electrify roughly 40 percent of our cars and trucks without building one new power plant."

walter said:
As I stated earlier I am new and I live in N.C. I received a phone call yesterday from Progress Energy of North Carolina. They called to say that because I had ordered the Leaf I am eligible for a FREE in home charger valued at $1,500 dollars. The only thing I had to do was fill out some questions on-line and I would be put on a list for eligibility. I was given the web site and all was fine, I answered all the questions and provided information requested. I then hit the enter or submit key and it was then and only then that I was informed my Town was not within this energy companies zone. I along with all of my county are part of another power company all together. I have NO idea how the guy who called me didn't know this. I figured he was from the power company, obviously not. Anyway I called MY power company and they offer NO incentives for electric vehicles, in fact the ENTIRE state offers no incentives what so ever. We are however exempt from vehicle inspections with all electric cars. People wonder why sales are low, look no further than your state, local or federal government. Let's not forget the oil companies and all there subsidiaries.......... One other little thing, we aren't going as green as we think with electric cars, after all, more electric means more power plants, more power plants means more oil or coal fired plants................hmmm :)
Sounds borderline phishing scam. You best review exactly what info was sent to who.

smkettner said:
Sounds borderline phishing scam. You best review exactly what info was sent to who.
That was my first thought as well... except I don't think the Leaf has wide enough press to merit this kind of scam yet.

I do have caller ID and when I found out about not being within that electric companies area I hit re- dial. I did get the power company but could not remember the name or extension of the guy who called. I don't believe it was a scam. The information I gave was not sensitive in any way, with the exception of my leaf order number.

TRONZ said:
Is so funny you should mention this. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn) has a very different take on this issue.

"Moreover, the Department of Energy estimates that we have enough idle power in our existing plants that if we plugged our automobiles in at night, we could electrify roughly 40 percent of our cars and trucks without building one new power plant."
Lots of room for impressive statistics wrangling here: did the DOE include plants that are off-line and are costly to cycle on & off, I wonder?

walter said:

I was called as well about the Progress Energy program in NC (they left a voicemail) and it was legit. The call actually came from Nissan. I called back the Nissan 800 number and was able to get to the person that called me. I'm also not a Progress customer so they have some issue with customer info obviously. I am a Duke Power customer and was able to get into their program.

What I heard from the guy (from Utility Partners of America) that did the assessment for Duke was that he thinks there are only 75 units to be distributed through Duke and 150 through Progress, but he wasn't sure about that.

On a side note, I had already received a quote from AeroVironment when I got into the Duke program so I told him what the quote was($2400) and he thought that was a bit excessive and said his company would do the same install and similar charger for $600 less for this type of install. This would be for the easiest possible install with the charger 1 foot from the breaker panel. I have no idea if someone can just contract them to do it privately or if they only work through other companies.

-Zarwin

I also received my quote from the company installing for Nissan. There quote was almost $3,000 dollars. I have done electrical work in my home and have had all work inspected. I have done many 240 upgrades over the years and I can definitely do it myself, with the charger for just over a $1,000 dollars. Even that number can be lower because I just found chargers for around $600. dollars. I will probably do it myself if I feel it is needed. I still believe the trickle charge will work fine for my needs. :D

garygid said:
Sorry for your "abrupt" introduction to government.
Welcome to the EV movement.

Charge at night, when there is plenty of excess generation capacity, and NO NEW power plants are needed.

Encourage local Solar PV installations, and ... before long even a few of the belching Coal-Fired Plants will be shutting down. . . . . . . . . . . . . . snip
I'd take it a step farther. Lets go back just anywhere between two, to 10 years prior to the Leaf hitting the markets. Now ... during that period, TONS of excess building was done ... homes ... strip malls ... commercial ... most all of them with central AC - not to mention all the other electric utilities they drew on. Where's the FUD about all THAT stuff harming the grid. After all - all THAT stuff will be drawing down power during peak times. Go back a few more years now. How about all the PC's and their power sucking monitors becoming the rage. NO complaints? Gee. I wonder why. Guess it lacks the same drama.
:roll:

Back