Hello from Castaic, CA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyguy

Just found this forum, it's great!! I was searching for a forum about the Leaf and most that I found were pretty weak. This forum has answered many questions. Ordered mine within 5 minutes of getting the email. Have my appointment with electrician in July. I have a complete solar power system and had it installed 2 years ago with extra capacity for an EV.
It has been nice to have no electricity bill for the past two years and looking forward to no gas bill with my Leaf! Keep up the great forum, I find myself looking many times a day!!

hobbyguy said:
Just found this forum, it's great!! I was searching for a forum about the Leaf and most that I found were pretty weak. This forum has answered many questions. Ordered mine within 5 minutes of getting the email. Have my appointment with electrician in July. I have a complete solar power system and had it installed 2 years ago with extra capacity for an EV.
It has been nice to have no electricity bill for the past two years and looking forward to no gas bill with my Leaf! Keep up the great forum, I find myself looking many times a day!!

Excellent planning! Let us know how things proceed, we will be very interested. What is the capacity of your system?

Steve, it is a 7kW system. We have been generating about 53KWH per day this summer. Right now we are about 1400 KWH behind last years final meter read. My netting period ends in early October, so I will have to try and use up some of that excess this summer. I hate giving free electricity to Edison. Starting in 2011, Edison has to pay us for un-used electricity generated. By them I should have my Leaf and hopefully will be pretty close to even each year!

Welcome, hobbyguy!!

Sounds like your are getting ready. We just mailed our deposit check today to have 27 SunPower 215 watt modules installed on our roof. This will make a 5.8 kW system but because the solar installers have had so many orders lately, ours won't be installed until October. The owner said they usually installed 3 systems a week, but are now up to 9 systems. He is have trouble finding installers to hire or even train. So at least it will be here for the LEAF.

I too, would like to hear about your system.

hobbyguy said:
Steve, it is a 7kW system. We have been generating about 53KWH per day this summer. Right now we are about 1400 KWH behind last years final meter read. My netting period ends in early October, so I will have to try and use up some of that excess this summer. I hate giving free electricity to Edison. Starting in 2011, Edison has to pay us for un-used electricity generated. By them I should have my Leaf and hopefully will be pretty close to even each year!

Thanks for the info! I am looking into PV systems now, so it is always interesting to hear of other's experiences. It sure sounds like the Leaf will be a perfect fit.

I have 33 Sharp 225 watt panels, in 3 strings of 11, and a 4-input SunnyBoy 7kW AC output inverter.

On the output is a meter that the installer wanted to include, just to total the generated output. Then, through a manual, lockable disconnect box, the PV "feed" connects into the service panel through a dual 40-amp breaker.

It has worked well since Jan 2009 when it was inspected and finally put in service.

I decided to use hardware from internationally-known, top-quality reputation, major companies, Sharp and SMA. The micro-verters were still fairly "new", and noticably more expensive in mid 2008 when I was choosing the equipment.

If you have other questions of general interest, just ask here. PM if you have more specific questions.

Watching the SDG&E meter spin backward at 5 to 7 kW is a real pleasure.
Good Luck, Gary.

Back