1-2 bars left but says 12 bars??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilliams

We're loving our leaf - but curious about this: My husband came home from work today with 2 bars left (both red bars). I went out on a short run with it on the supposed 2 bars but when I turned the car on it showed all 12 bars lit up but did indicate only 12 miles left. What's up with that? I powered it down again at my destination (3 miles away) and when I powered up again to go home still all 12 bars lit up - and still 12 mile predicted range. Maybe it's in the manual and I'll look but I find this a bit weird and I'm wondering if it's a bug. Any helpful thoughts appreciated.

Also, we're braving it these days and charging to 80%. We're trying to see if we can make our typical runs (so far, so good) - so no way there should ever be 12 bars.

I don't think anyone else has every observed this. The fact that the 12 didn't change after 3 miles is also an indication of display malfunction. If it doesn't fix itself after a charge, time to take it to the dealer.

TickTock said:
I don't think anyone else has every observed this. The fact that the 12 didn't change after 3 miles is also an indication of display malfunction. If it doesn't fix itself after a charge, time to take it to the dealer.

+1! Absolutely take it in! No one has ever reported this before.

Bummer. Our dealer doesn't know jack-doo-doo about the leaf.

LEAFfan said:
TickTock said:

+1! Absolutely take it in! No one has ever reported this before.

This might be a case of needing a simple reset.

Try disconnecting the negative post of the 12v lead/acid battery under the hood. Wait a handful of seconds, then reconnect it.

Umm...No disrespect but any chance you are looking at the capacity bars at the far right rather than the fuel bars just to the left of those?

91040 said:
Umm...No disrespect but any chance you are looking at the capacity bars at the far right rather than the fuel bars just to the left of those?
Doesn't really explain the Guess-o-meter not budging off of 12 miles, though.

Didn't think this question was worthy of a response, but thanks.

I've done a quick and incomplete search for a "bugs" topic. Seems like there should be one.

davewill said:
91040 said:

davewill said:
91040 said:

Sure it does. Maybe the OP only had one or two fuel bars left and didn't realize it. Or maybe no bars (I still don't get what the bar behavior is on new firmware cars).

I suspect you were reading it wrong. There are 12 "narrow" bars on the right which are the pack total capacity. These always remain lit. The "fan" bars on the left that surround the GoM (Guess-O-Meter) miles remaining indicator are the bars remaining indicator. Are you 100% sure you didn't see those 12 on the right and count those?

pic

-Phil

Yup, you're right.

Ingineer said:
I suspect you were reading it wrong. There are 12 "narrow" bars on the right which are the pack total capacity. These always remain lit. The "fan" bars on the left that surround the GoM (Guess-O-Meter) miles remaining indicator are the bars remaining indicator. Are you 100% sure you didn't see those 12 on the right and count those?

pic

-Phil

bwilliams said:
Yup, you're right.

Ingineer said:

pic

-Phil

I guess a picture really is worth 1K words. This is the same question (sans illustration) that you deemed not worth of a reply!

In any case, glad it wasn't some new nasty malfunction that you need to have analyzed and the rest of us need to start worrying about.

PS -- Phil, you must be hackin' away at that firmware--888 kmiles on the GOM is pretty awesome. I can't even get up to 1 kmile!

Back