Blink and Ikea

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankyouOB

Blink chargers are now in sets of three at LA and OC Ikeas.
see link:
https://www.blinknetwork.com/locator.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder if this is driven locally, because I the Ikea here (Frisco, TX) doesn't have a clue what EV charging equipment is (or when they might install any).

This link http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ost-Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Stations-Select reported the partnership between Ikea and ECOtality. Of particular note is “IKEA locations being considered for hosting the charging stations include 10 stores in Arizona, California, Oregon, and Washington.”

The Ikea map shows 11 stores in these four states, so the odds are good that your local store will not be the one left out in the Bay Area. As for TX, looks like you are not on the current plans.

Arizona
Tempe

California
Burbank
Carson
Covina
East Palo Alto
Emeryville
Orange County Costa Mesa
San Diego
West Sacramento

Oregon
Portland

Washington
Seattle

Woohoo, Emeryville Ikea is getting one!

However, unless I'm buying something small, I'll need to take my other car.

Kind of a Catch-22 don't ya think? Puting in EV chargers at a furniture store for cars like Tesla, Leaf, Volt, Mitsu-i, etc. :?

To me, the best thing about the IKEA store in LA is that it is at the junction of the 405 and 110--a perfect spot for many who may need a boost while the travel north or south.

If Ikea is in, can Best Buy and Costco be far behind?

thankyouOB said:
To me, the best thing about the IKEA store in LA is that it is at the junction of the 405 and 110--a perfect spot for many who may need a boost while the travel north or south.

Costco is done for now and I hope it comes back to burn them.

Yep, the Blink app is showing the San Diego IKEA with three Blinks available, too. That will be quite handy, assuming they won't simply be constantly ICEd. That lot is pretty full almost all the time.

Although Ikea isn't doing anything in Texas (booo!) At least Blink is showing the love lately with building a ton of stations. For those in the DFW area whom haven't looked deep into that forum thread, here is a map of all the public charging stations available in DFW, the blue ones are blink:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=211891722519472891922.0004a754eab81f5c0cf11&msa=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy! I update it every week.

About 90% of what you can buy in an IKEA will fit into a LEAF, because of the way it is sold flat-pack. No reason why you wouldn't be able to fit a small sofa and a few dressers into a LEAF in a single trip.

And there are plenty of housewares, fabrics, and other items that you could include in an IKEA visit while you are charging.

If you need something larger, IKEA has store-to-door delivery for a flat fee.

Not to mention that you can get an inexpensive breakfast, a 99 cent all beef hotdog, a jar of lingonberries or a great bag of meatballs.

I am really pleased to see these going into the Costa Mesa store, which has its own freeway off ramp from the 405 North, and is only about a mile from the Wet Okole store if you are having your seatcovers installed. I'll check out the actual physical location, but this is really a nice little cluster of chargers at a regional retail destination.

This would really be a perfect location for Chademo Quick Chargers because of its Easy-on, Easy-off freeway location between LA and San Diego.

I am going right now and check it out.
Grabbed two bars while at lunch today in CM. :)
Blink says 3 and on site there was an additional Blink in a handicap space so 4 total.

And the street address name should be South Coast Drive not "S. Coasty" :lol:

BTW the hot dog was just 50 cents. ;)

EVDRIVER said:
thankyouOB said:

Costco is done for now and I hope it comes back to burn them.

+1. Yep, agreed!

The problem with all of these is that, with a 3.3Kw charger, it takes too long to get any reasonable amount of charge. I mean, what am I going to do at an Ikea or Best But for 4 or 5 hours!
mxp said:
thankyouOB said:
+1. Yep, agreed!

TomT said:
The problem with all of these is that, with a 3.3Kw charger, it takes too long to get any reasonable amount of charge. I mean, what am I going to do at an Ikea or Best But for 4 or 5 hours!
I have to disagree. I can gain approximately 12 miles in a hour of L2 charging. I can easily burn 2 hours at IKEA, especially considering that there are usually many other retail businesses and restaurants in the same shopping center. The San Diego one has a Lowe's and a COSTCO in the same complex. Adding 24 miles can easily make the difference between having the range to go there or not. Heck, that will cover the entire round trip from my home!

I don't expect to fill up from empty. Just help out with the 30 cents of electric to get to the store.
Lots of nice stuff at IKEA but not a direct competitor to COSTCO.

Blink got me into the store again...... lots of great ideas for spending money.

BTW, yes I expect the charging to be free. Today IKEA was giving away free lunch to be applied to your merchandise purchase of $100 or more. Just another retail promotion.

Yay! The Costa Mesa IKEA has three Blinks :!: .... but Blink has never sent me an access card after three tries. :cry: I guess I pretty much can't seem to win with them.

TRONZ said:
Yay! The Costa Mesa IKEA has three Blinks :!: .... but Blink has never sent me an access card after three tries. :cry: I guess I pretty much can't seem to win with them.
My experience in getting a Blink card was not great. Finally got the ear of an accomadating CS guy and got the card two weeks later.

I'm with others - nice to know I can pick up a dozen miles if needed.

Bill

ebill3 said:
TRONZ said:
My experience in getting a Blink card was not great. Finally got the ear of an accomadating CS guy and got the card two weeks later.

I'm with others - nice to know I can pick up a dozen miles if needed.

Bill

OK. Called Blink and asked for a card (pretty please thank you). The lady was very nice and said it should come in 7 business days (23rd). Not sure what to think if it still does not come.

Back