110v, level 1 charging question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpitz31

We picked up the car last night, what a cool car. I have been spending lots of time going though the manual and getting familiar with all of the systems.

One question, In the user's manual it clearly states that the 110v trickel charger is for emergency use only and not for normal charging.

But checking here on the forum and at work where we have lots of chargers and a wiki. There appears to be a lot of folks who charge with 110v.

I understand about the increase charge time creating more heat. But what is the general consensus about charging with 110v and any adverse effects to overall battery life?

Thanks

Joe

If there is any affect at all on battery life, I'd say it would be a good effect. I believe the only reason Nissan would consider it for emergencies only is that it just takes too long to charge up the car. In most cases it would render a persons usable range somewhere between 30 to 50 miles per day because unless you can charge at work, that would be the max charging you could get in the evening. So naturally that doesn't sound too good for their product, so they'd rather you buy an L2.

However, if your lifestyle can tolerate the slower charging speeds, by all means, use it.

If you don't already have an L2 charging station in your garage, a great way to upgrade your L1 charger to L2 is through the evseupgrade.com route. Check it out. You can then still use L1 beside L2 on it afterward.

Otherwise, don't worry about using the L1 as is despite what the manual says. The only reason they don't recommend it is because of the slow charge time and slightly lower efficiency. It's perfectly safe and won't hurt your battery longevity.

L1 or L2 creates virtually no battery heat that would move the indicator.

L1 is a bit less efficient due to some fixed power overhead while charging.

Otherwise I charged mine on L1 for the first five months and drove 50 miles per day average.

No harm to the battery but if you drive much you will be charging near continuous when near a power outlet.

I used a 6' appliance extension cord to allow the brick to sit on the floor. Right angle plug and #14 wire.

jpitz31 said:
But what is the general consensus about charging with 110v and any adverse effects to overall battery life?
There is no adverse effects to using the 120v, trickle-charge cable. Nissan recommends against using it as it takes a very long time to fully charge the car and they wish to maintain the most positive customer experience they can (setting proper expectations).

9400 miles mostly on home L1 since March. No issues. Did do the upgrade so dryer/welding 240 outlets are now places to charge.

Was hearing straight from someone very senior at Nissan today - nothing particularly bad about L1 charging.

---

By the way, even L3 fast charge isn't so bad as long as you don't charge when the battery is hot.

Charging at night during the summer is probably best not just because the grid has extra capacity but also your pack is likely cooler.

Herm said:
Because its obvious what the answer would be, and it displaced the opportunity to ask other questions.
The question came up as part of one of the many separate discussions that went on w/the various Nissan folks standing around well after the meeting was officially over. It didn't take up any of the time when everyone was seated and listening. When you have at least 50 folks still present and over a dozen Nissan folks standing around, we took advantage of being able to talk to them.

IIRC, it was part of a broader discussion while we were standing around about tips for battery longevity, warranty, what battery "failure" constitutes a something that would be covered by warranty and further digging into the QC charge of "one a day" that was discussed earlier in the meeting. I don't remember if I asked it but I threw in the bit about what the manual says (didn't have the exact quote at the time). The reply was essentially, ignore the manual's warning. I was trying to see if what Nissan's motivation was for putting such a clause in the manual. Was it merely customer satisfaction since it's L1 is slow, efficiency, or if there are some other reasons...

As it says in the 2011 manual on page CH-7 (as we've discussed before, emphasis mine):
Normal charge
NISSAN recommends using normal charging for usual charging of the vehicle. Use of quick charge should be minimized in order to help prolong Li-ion battery life.

Normal charging uses an SAE J1772 compliant charging device that can be installed on a dedicated 220V/240V circuit in your home...

Trickle charge
Trickle charging is not recommended for regular use. Trickle charge can be used when it is necessary to perform an emergency charge at a destination such as a friend’s house. Trickle charge uses the EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) or an SAE J1772 compliant cord set to connect the vehicle to an AC 110 - 120 volt, 20A dedicated outlet...

jpitz31 said:
We picked up the car last night, what a cool car. I have been spending lots of time going though the manual and getting familiar with all of the systems.

One question, In the user's manual it clearly states that the 110v trickel charger is for emergency use only and not for normal charging.

But checking here on the forum and at work where we have lots of chargers and a wiki. There appears to be a lot of folks who charge with 110v.

I understand about the increase charge time creating more heat. But what is the general consensus about charging with 110v and any adverse effects to overall battery life?

Thanks

Joe

To clarify the EVSE uses 120V not 110, we don't have 110V in the USA. Nissan CS gives out so much poor and flat out wrong information it is almost unbelievable. I think some people that work there improvise. One of them told a friend of mine their EVSE regulated the voltage and current levels based based on SOC as it was "smart" and modifying the L1 EVSE would not regulate the charge properly because only their unit is "smart". Well, no EVSE does that and the modified EVSE operates in the same way as the L1 unit. They were describing the function of the charger not the EVSE.

Sorry to bring up a semi-old post, but I've searched and cannot find the answer, and after spending 7+ hours today at the Nissan dealer before finally getting my Leaf, I need to get to sleep and can't keep searching :? ....anyway, is the Level 1 evse that is included with the car waterproof? I currently have a heavy-duty extension cord coming out a basement window, snaking across my lawn, and sitting on the ground next to my uncovered porch, which is where the evse plugs in and sits. It's a few feet from there to the car. So, basically, the evse and the extension cord are both sitting outside exposed to all elements. I do have the evse hiding behind some bushes so no one steals it, but other than that, no protection. The plan right now is to find some way to secure the evse to something so no one steals it, but I don't really have a way to protect the evse from the elements. Do I need to? It shouldn't get submerged in water except maybe during a very heavy rainfall...if it were to snow, I'd obviously take it inside or put it in the car. So, am I doing the right thing?

The EVSE is waterproof and the cord from it to the car is protected. The extension cord and its connection to the EVSE is not!

Check this out http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7587&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; instead.

NYLEAF said:
I currently have a heavy-duty extension cord coming out a basement window, snaking across my lawn, and sitting on the ground next to my uncovered porch, which is where the evse plugs in and sits. It's a few feet from there to the car.
If it is only a few feet from there to the car, is there any way you can stretch the EVSE cord so that its plug is inside the basement window, or somewhere else inside or protected, even if the "brick" is exposed? As 91040 said, your biggest problem is not the EVSE box, but the extension cord and its connection to the EVSE's plug.

The EVSE and the car work together to protect everything between them, including the 25' cable and big connector to the car. The only protection you have from rodents gnawing on the extension cord, or water getting into the connector at the end of it, is the breaker in your breaker box, and it won't act fast enough to prevent sparks.

Ray

Back