Public Chargers in San Diego County?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecayman

Where can I go to find a list/locations of the public chargers in San Diego County?
HELP! Please

Mr Joe Leafowner

joecayman said:
Where can I go to find a list/locations of the public chargers in San Diego County?
HELP! Please

Mr Joe Leafowner
There are lots of search pages and most of them are poorly written. One of the better written search pages is this one.

http://www.recargo.com/search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just put in your zip code and you get back a list sorted by nearest one first.

joecayman said:

I've been collating a master list myself as all the websites are just about useless. Through three or more websites, I've found about a dozen of the old style chargers (the magne-charge paddles and the AVCON ones) almost all of which are no longer working. I also found five new L2 Blink ones by chance in a parking structure at SDSU which don't show on the Blink map or the car's Nav system.

I'd love to start a letter writing campaign to get the hosts of the dead, old style charging stations to upgrade to the newer stations. There are two spots in the Mission Valley mall that are for the old style. The spots are marked electric vehicles only and the whole electrical infrastructure is already there.

Here's a start:

The ones at Scripps Mercy Hospital in Hillcrest are dead and removed.

There are four (I think) My ChargePoint ones (L-2s?) by the preferred parking at SeaWorld, but they are not patrolled very well and frequently blocked by ICEs. Plus you've got to pay to park even if you're not going to SeaWorld. Tip: if you're interested in a season pass you can buy one on site for $120.00 (and it won't give you free parking on your first visit) or go to Costco and buy one for $86.00, call 1-800-25-SHAMU before you go to activate it and you'll park for free the first time. (been doing some recon, obviously!)

There are three L-2 Blink ones at the Lodge at Torrey Pines (one right inside the gate on the ground floor and two more up the ramp by the reserved valet parking). The grill has very good food at pretty good (relative) prices and the Torrey Pines State Beach is a short walk past the golf course to go hiking while you charge.

There is a L-1 MyChargePoint Solar Tree installed in the McDonalds parking lot at 1121 Garnet Ave. You can get a key to open the door for free on request, but you've got to bring your own EVSE. The door then locks down on it to secure your EVSE, but it's only L-1, there's only one outlet and the spaces are not really reserved (and parking in PB can be crazy).

There are a few in the Qualcomm building garage up on Mira Mesa Blvd, but they are behind the guard shack and probably intended for fleet rather than public use. (the guarded gate entry was closed when I stopped by)

The listed ones at 4660 El Cajon Blvd. are headless posts, long rusted out and vandalized.

The five (or six?) ones listed at Pearson Fuels 4067 El Cajon Blvd are all AVCON ones and are all dead (but one looks to still have power)

There are seven Blink L-2s down by the Automotive museum in Balboa Park and another three Blink L-2s up behind the Space Theatre.

There are a few L-2s in the Ace Parking lot near Fourth and A downtown, but you've got to pay $10.00 to park.

Coronado just approved installing one or two Blink L-2s next to City Hall (to catch the incentives), but unknown on time frame for install.

I'm sure there are more, but my wife and I have been having fun cruising around doing the recon and adding them automatically to our car's Nav by plugging in. In talking to a guy from Blink, there will be many dozens hitting the maps in the next few months as they get caught up. Maybe we should decide which of the many outdated/inaccurate maps/apps/sites to use and just make a concerted effort to update that one.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Jamie

KMG365 said:
joecayman said:

I've been collating a master list myself as all the websites are just about useless..... Maybe we should decide which of the many outdated/inaccurate maps/apps/sites to use and just make a concerted effort to update that

Why not just have your master list right here? That way, when an app is inaccurate, we can update it from the list.

I wish I had seen the recargo link before I posted (sorry about the length). This site seems to be the most up to date and flexible interface for us to use. They list 55 sites for San Diego County. I also see they have an app for iPhones but not Android yet (bummer). The ChargePoint and PlugShare sites have Android apps, though . . . . ;-)

I have six getting ready to come online at the NCTD Coaster station in Oceanside - hopefully by the end of January. :). Thank you blink project-we could not do it otherwise. Plugging into solar carports.

http://t.co/CJfAy2HJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone here know anything about writing apps for the Android OS? :)

http://www.startuply.com/Jobs/Android_Developer_5717_1.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KMG365 said:
Anyone here know anything about writing apps for the Android OS? :)

http://www.startuply.com/Jobs/Android_Developer_5717_1.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd recommend this book. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0321741234/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

But they're probably looking for someone a little ahead of that. :D

Thanks for the good news that they're finally going to port to Android. By all reports from Iphone users their app is great. I can't tell much from the web portal. I think it's probably missing basic filtering capability from the app.

There are two parking lots at SDSU that have Blinks operational. I used both of them. I found the five mentioned above in PS5 with an entrance off Montezuma Ave. It is divided up into four regular and one handicapped. Also there are two on the east end of campus in parking lot "E" next to the Children's Center. All require an active parking permit. Temp permits are OK at $1 per hour. The times I tried, all were available except for one in PS5 that was connected to a plug-in Prius. That was the first time I have seen one of the plugin Prii.

I try to keep this thread below updated with the latest information about public chargers in San Diego...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=131563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you learn of any new ones before I do, please let me know and I'll add them to the list...

Randy

Back