New LEAF Coming

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamchemist

I am slated to receive a new 2012 LEAF in a couple of weeks. Do any of you experienced LEAF owners have any suggestions of things to look out for, check, etc?

As a side note, this LEAF was ordered in late December, 2011, but is slated to be delivered by late January,2012. Amazing!

pull up a chair, and start reading all the fabulous information here.
Though you dont do us the solid of supplying any information on where you live, etc., I would start with the stuff about using the heat.
Then the range discussion, with the tables created by the EV geeks.

No, I didn't mention where I live, because it wasn't relevant to my question. I was asking about particular things to look for from my Nissan dealer. on receipt of a new LEAF. Any things to look for my dealer providing or not providing with the car, etc.

I will let everyone know that I live in Wilmington, NC, and my new LEAF arrived in record time. An order placed in Dec. 2011 was originally slated to arrive by late March, 2012, then an email from Nissan indicated late Jan. 2012, and the car arrived Jan. 13, 2012. I was both pleased and surprised.

Welcome. Yes, it does matter what state you are in, as each one has different issues with an EV. Some charge no sales tax (Washington), some have big rebates, some have special plates, car-pool lane benefits, etc.

Are you planning to lease or buy?

I am planning to buy my LEAF. I will hopefully bring it home on Wednesday (1/18). I have had the necessary home inspection and have had a Level II charger installed. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Read the dealer paperwork.

Then, just enjoy the driving for a while. It is like entering another world.

You are past the Ordering problems and Color choices.
Delivery avoids the waiting and Boat Tracking issues.
Buying avoids the Leasing problems.
Having a L2 EVSE installed avoids those choices and problems.
You have probably even prepared a place to park your LEAF. :lol:

One LEAF, two LEAFs.

Become familiar with the Nav, Climate Control, and Audio when you are NOT driving.

Make sure you have some kind of floor mats. The "rug" (at least in the 2011 LEAF) was mostly cosmetic.

I had an "Info" card made up to give to interested persons. I listed the NissanUSA web site and this MyNissanLeaf (forum) site. I got them made at VistaPrint on-line.

Consider having your EVSE Upgraded and adapters made if you might charge out away from home.

Last, consider if you want to know more than the User Manuals tell you. Consider the Service Manual, various LEAF mods, Seat covers, speakers, horns, tinting, waxing, etc.

Some folks like the SOC-Meter or use my CAN-Do program (see the "Leaf CANBus" sub-forum).

In any case, WELCOME!
What color, model, Options, and Accessories?

Make sure that you have an after tax liability of $7500 if you are planning to buy. If not you will not get the full credit. If you already on average get $5000 plus +/- return from IRS you will only get back what taxes you have paid in. In this scenario, you will not get back $5000 plus $7500.
I made this mistake.

You get back whatever your bottom line tax liability is (up to 7500.) The credit does not roll over, so most people who have a mortgage, kids, etc. don't get he whole thing since our taxes are already so low.

Garygid,

Thanks for the advice!

I got a metallic blue LEAF with "Zero Emissions" decals on the sides (much like people have seen in all the Nissan ads), because I'd like to educate as many people as possible about the tremendous potential for this car as an in-town vehicle. I hope I get lots of questions! It is clear that the national news is feeding people BS about Electric Cars - perhaps funded by Detroit or Big Oil.

I'm confused about the SOC Meter. Is that something one buys from Nissan or from some 3rd party? I have read about others on this Forum finding the SOC Meter useful.

Things to watch out for?

The Leaf can cause damage to the muscles in your face--be careful about this. Most people report the issue is most acute when driving by gas stations--it seems to stem from too much smiling.

Watch out for damage to your neck when taking off from a standstill. It seems that as a species we aren't evolved for such quick acceleration.

One side of your body may start to atrophy, since you don't have to carry around as much cash for fill-ups and car repairs. I recommend filling your wallet with other heavy items instead, since you won't be needing much money.

Be prepared for legal trouble as well. I've read reports that Nissan seems to have neglected to out paycheck to Leaf owners, even though we seem to be a part of their sales department, regularly out talking to people who ask about *their* car. We may have to take Carlos to court to get them to pay up!

So overall, it's been quite a hazardous experience so far. Definitely watch out for issues like these.

-Brad

iamchemist said:
Garygid, Thanks for the advice!
I'm confused about the SOC Meter. Is that something one buys from Nissan or from some 3rd party? I have read about others on this Forum finding the SOC Meter useful.
You buy it from garygid! I don't have one myself, but he has apparently done a great job with it. If you go to the forum search page and enter soc meter in the Google Custom Search box above the standard forum search you will see a number of threads discussing it, and how to get it.

Ray

The title of this thread initially threw me off. I thought this thread would be about the next generation of Leaf or a mid-cycle refresh...

Perhaps the OP can edit it to be more inline w/what asking for...

iamchemist said:
I am slated to receive a new 2012 LEAF in a couple of weeks. Do any of you experienced LEAF owners have any suggestions of things to look out for, check, etc?

As a side note, this LEAF was ordered in late December, 2011, but is slated to be delivered by late January,2012. Amazing!
This is probably too late to do you any good, but the wiki has a "New car delivery checklist". And it'd be great if, as a brand new LEAF owner, you can review the info in there and add anything that might be missing, or might be useful to the next person taking delivery of a LEAF.

Back