What happens to your charging when a power outage occurs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coqui

When a power outage hits, then comes back on, and one is in the middle of charging, what happens? (this happens a lot here in NC especially during inclement weather but hasn't happened to me yet; have had my Leaf only a month now).

Do I need to reset the charger somehow? (Coulomb)

Pull the J1772 out of the Leaf and reset the Leaf's charging timer?

Actually now that I think of it, I'm a bit concerned here as well.... I think it's fine, but let me relate a recent experience --

I went to my car this past sunday afternoon to go to a friend's house. It had been on the charger since Saturday evening, and the timers are basically set for 24/7 80%. When I turned the car on, the charge meter showed only ~60% and the "excited car" orange error light was on. I turned the car off and back on and it cleared the error, but when I got out of the car and examined my EVSE, it was completely dead. The breaker was not thrown, so I had a mini-panic, but in the end when I got out my meter I found out that the breaker itself had gone bad... so the problem took 10 minutes and $8 to fix :)

But my point is, this really is basically the same thing the car would see if there was a power outage, and it generated an error... I wonder though; would the error have cleared if power was restored to the EVSE?

Guess a good way to test would be to start the car charging, flip the breaker off, then flip it back on and see what happens. I may try this afternoon if I remember :)

Easiest way to simulate would be turn the breaker off to the EVSE and back on. I would imagine everything would keep going as normal unless you had charge timers set.

The bigger problem might be the timer on your car. If the power goes off at 11:59pm, and you have the timer set to come on at 12midnight, and then the power comes back on at 12:01am, it will not start charging until the next day at midnight.

You sure? I'd think the timer would consider it basically like re-plugging in the evse, in which case it would start right up...
Still, that's all guesswork, no reason we can't try it and see :)

defiancecp said:
You sure? I'd think the timer would consider it basically like re-plugging in the evse, in which case it would start right up...
Still, that's all guesswork, no reason we can't try it and see :)

There are variables. If you had a start and end time on your timer, it would come on any time within that window.

sounds like a good reason to investigate adding the charge timer to the phone app (which is less prone to power outages) instead.

Back in Dec. we had some very heavy sustained winds. The power went out a few times through the night, but charging just started right back up when the power came back - it was within the timer charge settings though - I don't think it would have resumed charging after 8:00 AM when I have the timer programmed to off.

Eventually the power went out for a full 2 days - that was a problem.

There was a post from a San Diego person during the big power outage last year.
Charging resumed when power came on and vehicle was fully charged in the morning.

They had noted gasoline was immediately unavailable for those in need.

Back