Hello from the OC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justrollin

Hey everybody. Just got my Leaf on Monday night. Can't say I've had more fun driving in awhile. This is my 3rd electric car (Honda EV Plus and Toyota RAV4). I was reading the forum earlier and people were talking about charging 80% vs. 100%. Why would we not always charge to 100%? Rookie question I'm sure but humor me please...

TONS of threads on this subject. The short answer is because the LEAF has an 80% setting and calls it "long life mode". The rest is a lot of conjecture, but it is thought to help with battery degradation. My two cents? If you need (or think you might possibly need) a 100% charge, charge to 100%. If you know that you'll get through a whole day without needing or wanting more, you might want to charge to 80%.

Hi justrollin and welcome to the fold.

Consider joining us at one of our So Cal breakfast meetups at a Hometown Buffet. We'll answer all your questions and you can get a good cheap breakfast surrounded by kindred spirits.

Our next meetup is this Saturday in Cerritos, or you could wait a few weeks and join us in Santa Ana.

See this thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5418&start=360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

justrollin said:
Hey everybody. Just got my Leaf on Monday night. Can't say I've had more fun driving in awhile. This is my 3rd electric car (Honda EV Plus and Toyota RAV4). I was reading the forum earlier and people were talking about charging 80% vs. 100%. Why would we not always charge to 100%? Rookie question I'm sure but humor me please...
Welcome to the forum.

The difference is that your former EVs were NiMh battery powered, while the LEAF uses LiIon batteries.

I don't think it is all conjecture. I believe there have been hard studies showing increased cycle life of lithium based cells if charged to less than maximum voltage. 4.2 volts per cell is generally accepted as the maximum for lithium, but Nissan only allows 4.1 volts during a 100% charge, so to start, they are playing it conservatively.

I habitually charge to 80%, because that will normally suffice for my activities. But, if there is even an outside chance that 100% would be more comfortable, it doesn't bother me a bit to punch the override button and go to 100%.

Bill

Thanks to all. I really love this car. I'm committed to the electric technology and would love to help show the naysayers that this is a viable alternative to OPEC. I am at my future stepson's golf tournament this weekend but will try to make the Santa Ana breakfast on the 24th.

Pass gas!!

Back