August delivery of 2013 LEAF?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muleears

My dealer just called me and said they were going to start getting 2013's in August and September. Anyone else heard this? I thought it was going to be after the first of the year when the Tenn. plant comes online.

Muleears said:
My dealer just called me and said they were going to start getting 2013's in August and September. Anyone else heard this? I thought it was going to be after the first of the year when the Tenn. plant comes online.

From Japan, sure. Just like they did with a 2011 with Cold Weather Package, it just became a 2012. And probably a 2013, until the 2013 1/2 cars with better heater and optional 6.6 charger are available from Tennessee in Dec.

I think Tony is right
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/20/nissan-leaf-update-will-add-new-heater-25-miles-of-range/
From what we know today, pretty much everything about the all-electric Nissan Leaf is getting bigger and/or better in 2012. From availability in Europe to 50-state availability and production in the States, it's clear Nissan is planning big things for its EV this year. Now, Nissan's Mark Perry has told the The Detroit News that the 2013 Leaf will get serious improvements when it launches later this year, including a better heater, a darker interior color choice and leather seats. The new Leaf will be made in Smyrna, TN.

http://www.nissanleafdrivers.com/
Comment From KeiJidosha
Smyrna LEAF. When will cars roll off the line? Will they have a 6.6kW charger?
Mark Perry: We expect Start of production in December 2012. And yes a 6.6Kw charger will be an option.

Muleears said:

Wow, that would be great. Carlos Ghosn said he expects sales to spike in September (in a CNBC interview a few weeks ago). This would explain that comment. My guess is they'll switch the Japanese plant over to the 2013 at some point, then ramp up production when the Smyrna starts production.

One wonders if the "early" Japanese 2013s will offer the same options (6.6 charger, leather, colors, etc.) as the later Tenn. 2013s...

gsleaf said:
Carlos Ghosn said he expects sales to spike in September (in a CNBC interview a few weeks ago). This would explain that comment. My guess is they'll switch the Japanese plant over to the 2013 at some point, then ramp up production when the Smyrna starts production.

If the early 2013's (from Japan) won't have the 6.6, leather and better heater, I think I'll wait for the Smyrna cars. It wouldn't make much sense not to, especially if the price is the same.

Muleears said:
If the early 2013's (from Japan) won't have the 6.6, leather and better heater, I think I'll wait for the Smyrna cars. It wouldn't make much sense not to, especially if the price is the same.

Is there any reason Nissan wouldn't update the Japanese plant to make the 2013 model until after the Smyrna plant went live?

gsleaf said:
Is there any reason Nissan wouldn't update the Japanese plant to make the 2013 model until after the Smyrna plant went live?

I'm sure Nissan will debug the 2013 model in the Oppama plant before they try it at Smyrna.. I would expect lots of early battery rejects at the new battery plant... it would be nice if you could buy those at a discount but they probably get shredded.

TonyWilliams said:
Muleears said:

From Japan, sure. Just like they did with a 2011 with Cold Weather Package, it just became a 2012. And probably a 2013, until the 2013 1/2 cars with better heater and optional 6.6 charger are available from Tennessee in Dec.
Oh well . . . . that's just 8 months (or so) away.
TomT said:
One wonders if the "early" Japanese 2013s will offer the same options (6.6 charger, leather, colors, etc.) as the later Tenn. 2013s...

gsleaf said:
Carlos Ghosn said he expects sales to spike in September (in a CNBC interview a few weeks ago). This would explain that comment. My guess is they'll switch the Japanese plant over to the 2013 at some point, then ramp up production when the Smyrna starts production.
What I'M wondering about more than anything, is the PRICE. U.S. Leafs will easily cost 10%-15% less to build, do to the worthless U.S. dollar (against the yen) ... but with better Leaf features (ESPECIALLY the bigger on board charger and its wiring), the savings will quickly dissapear. I'm thinking the 2013 will necessarily cost at LEAST an extra $2,000 above the present day price tag. As it is, the price is already more than many can swallow ... especially for what will be a 2nd car for many purchasers.

hill said:
What I'M wondering about more than anything, is the PRICE. U.S. Leafs will easily cost 10%-15% less to build, do to the worthless U.S. dollar (against the yen) ... but with better Leaf features (ESPECIALLY the bigger on board charger and its wiring), the savings will quickly dissapear. I'm thinking the 2013 will necessarily cost at LEAST an extra $2,000 above the present day price tag. As it is, the price is already more than many can swallow ... especially for what will be a 2nd car for many purchasers.

The higher capacity charger shouldn't cost much more. If I remember correctly, it has been said that they found a different supplier for the 6.6kW charger that was actually cheaper. What will cost more is the new HVAC (heat-pump based heating).

muus said:
hill said:
The higher capacity charger shouldn't cost much more. If I remember correctly, it has been said that they found a different supplier for the 6.6kW charger that was actually cheaper. What will cost more is the new HVAC (heat-pump based heating).
Perhaps switching to a heat-pump system would not be as expensive as feared. Here's Phil's comment from several months back. . .

Ingineer said:
I think this is two-fold, one is indeed the safety concerns Howdy mentioned above, but the main reason was so they could re-use the standard off-the-shelf HVAC "block" they use in other cars without the need to engineer one specific to the Leaf.

The biggest disappointment is the lack of a heat-pump system. This would have enabled heating at a much lower energy cost, all for the addition of an $18 reversing valve (my cost at the local refrigeration supply house) and some software. Toyota has done it on the plug-in-Prius.

-- Phil

I DID find the test mule PHEV Prius heater to be very effective, and they WERE heat pumps. Toyota did away with 'em in the production models though ... claiming they'd make the cost too high. So now I'm confused.
:?

Despite being on the wait list for over 2 years, I cancelled my order for a MY2012 model to get the new heater, charger, interior options and...

I simply want a Smyrna-built car.

I used to live there as a kid back in the late 50s/early 60s.

Muleears said:
While the upcoming upgrades were enough for me to cancel my 2012 order, I really, really really want a Smyrna Leaf.

We lived there for 5 years when I was a grade-schooler in the early 60s.

Back