Does a demo LEAF sold as NEW get the $7500 tax credit?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafjohnny

I am thinking of buying a demo leaf with 7500 miles on it. Never before titled by someone else. A little over 900 miles.

Do I get the 7500 tax credit? I live in Washington state, BTW, but I doubt that matters.

I see there is another post in this forum with a similar, but different question about a demo LEAF where the title says sold as used. That is NOT my situation...the title will say new.

The credit goes to the first titled owner. If the car was never titled prior to the sale, then you get the tax credit. Likely, the demo Leaf was driven with dealer plates and never titled, so I think you are safe here.

A demo with 7500 miles? That's a lot of driving...The only way I'd buy that is if the price was substantially reduced. If they're charging near list price, that would be a no-go for me...

It doesn't matter if it has 0 miles or 900 miles or 7500 miles or whatever. If he is the first titled owner then he will get the credit.

leafjohnny said:
I am thinking of buying a demo leaf with 7500 miles on it. Never before titled by someone else. A little over 900 miles.

Do I get the 7500 tax credit? I live in Washington state, BTW, but I doubt that matters.

I see there is another post in this forum with a similar, but different question about a demo LEAF where the title says sold as used. That is NOT my situation...the title will say new.

Looks like it has only 900 miles but OP should clarify, with only 900 would expect a decent discount; with 7500 it's really a used car and should get a big discount, would be curious what the interior might look like if it really has that many miles as many have commented on some '11's that travel the auto show circuit that look well worn with so many people getting in an out. If the dealer wants top dollar I'd pass myself as it wouldn't be worth it -- just order a new one

posted response on FB for ya, but there is not enough info here. what the OP meant was $7500 tax credit not miles

ask the dealer, he will know. Some demo's do not qualify if transfered from one dealer to another in certain types of transactions nor do CPO (certified pre - owned) cars. the dealer is REQUIRED to proactively label each car's status.

we have CPO's that have 25 miles on them. we also have new cars that have a few hundred miles on them. this is normal. CPO's happen because a car is sold on a Sunday (there is no way to verify credit apps) and then Monday, we get a call from the finance company stating the buyer needs to put down $X more.

if the buyer does not have it, they must return the car. in this day and age, it happens way more than we want it too. but that car cannot be resold as new.

1. See if you can get a nearby GID/SOC-Meter (probably LEAF too) owner to "measure" the demo LEAF's battery Pack "capacity" (GIDs near 280, or GID-Percent near 99% when fully charged).

2. Beware, one buyer was told "new", but the actual paperwork said "used".

3. Doesn't this IRS tax creditvfor EVs "law" say "first placed in service", not "first registered"?

I agree with the comment saying you should ask your dealer, and if he says it qualifies, get it in writing just in case.

this is what it boils down to.

ignoring tax liability, "Someone" gets the $7500

so its either the dealer, someone we dont know about (previous short term owner) or you, the buyer.

only the dealer knows this. you could run a carfax, it would tell you but that would cost you money. if the dealer does not do it for you for free, go elsewhere.

dealers have monthly subscriptions so it does not cost them anything more but the paper its printed on.

DaveinOlyWA said:
DurkaDurka said:
Lease it and you'll get the $7,500 upfront.

that would eliminate any questions over getting it or not. run the lease for a few months then buy it out.

That works, just be aware of the costs in doing so (acquisition fees, buy fee, etc).

Back