2012 Leaf Charging Question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gergg

I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 or 2013 Leaf....I would strongly consider a 2012 if I could increase the full charge rate from approx 8-4 hours. My question is, I have a 240 outlet in my garage for power tools, it is either a 25 or 30 amp breaker, can I use this outlet with one of the under $300.00 converted plugs I've seen advertised on this site or is it impossible to increase charge time until the 6.6 charger is available.?

gergg said:
I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 or 2013 Leaf....I would strongly consider a 2012 if I could increase the full charge rate from approx 8-4 hours. My question is, I have a 240 outlet in my garage for power tools, it is either a 25 or 30 amp breaker, can I use this outlet with one of the under $300.00 converted plugs I've seen advertised on this site or is it impossible to increase charge time until the 6.6 charger is available.?
I guess you want to DECREASE charge time, not increase. The 2012 LEAF has a 3.3 kW charger on board. There is nothing you can do externally to make it charge faster.

Bill

I guess you want to DECREASE charge time, not increase. The 2012 LEAF has a 3.3 kW charger on board. There is nothing you can do externally to make it charge faster.
Correct, decrease charge time....Why are people discussing using a 240 dryer outlet with aftermarket adapters if it doesn't decrease charge time? Wouldn't you simply use the trickle charger that comes with the vehicle if there was no benefit to using the other options? So, what is the quickest full charge time possible with the 2001/2012 Leaf......Ah, it just dawned on me that the 240 outlet probably enables one to take the trickle charge of 20 hours down to 7-8 hours? Correct?

Correct. A dryer outlet lets you double the voltage from 120 to 240 volts, cutting charge time from ~20 hours to ~8. The 2013 LEAF will (may) have a charger that lets you double the charge current to reduce charge time from ~8 to ~4 hours. The 2011-12 LEAF has no upgrade path to a faster (6.6kW) on-board charger.

Correct. Phil's modification of the Nissan supplied 120V EVSE allows it to operate on 240V as an L2 EVSE. One approach is with 240V outlet. Another option is use of two 110V outlets, one that is off one side, the other off the other side of the house 240V panel.

Back