Need a louder horn, but has to be a Nissan model.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethr

Does anyone know which NISSAN model vehicle has the loudest horn to replace the wimpy Leaf horn? My dealer will do the install for me IF I use a Nissan horn. (I'm not mechanically inclined, or I'd just follow the directions on this website.) Thanks!

It does not have to be Nissan model at all and any auto mechanic can do the install. It's basically plug and play.

It has been dealt with on this site extensively. You need to find the thread and read all the details. The one that has been recommended and installed by many Leafers (me included) is a great sounding product that garners respect on the road. It's a 20 bucks item and my mechanic charged me 60 bucks to put it in. Tell them to keep the same (original) relays.

ILETRIC said:
It does not have to be Nissan model at all and any auto mechanic can do the install. It's basically plug and play.

It has been dealt with on this site extensively. You need to find the thread and read all the details. The one that has been recommended and installed by many Leafers (me included) is a great sounding product that garners respect on the road. It's a 20 bucks item and my mechanic charged me 60 bucks to put it in. Tell them to keep the same (original) relays.

If I knew a mechanic, I would. I don't. Only the guy who used to take care of my 2001 Prius before I switched to my Leaf, and he's unavailable. Besides, the advantage of using the Nissan guy and a Nissan horn is he will put IN WRITING that my warranty will not be affected. So I just want to hear from people who have other Nissan models who are satisfied with the horn loudness on their other car. I figure there must be plenty of people here who had (or still have) an ICE Nissan now that they have or are about to get a Leaf. Anyone out there?

Why not just go to the dealership and honk a horn from each model until you find the one you like?

My guess is the Armada, Pathfinder and Xtera may yield the best results... but that's just a guess.

Warranties can't be affected by third party modifications per US law (Magnuson-Moss), and dealers charge outrageous prices for repairs and modifications. All the more reason to find a good mechanic. Just go to google maps, type in "mechanic near [your zip]" and find mechanics with positive reviews. It's a good start.

Where are you located? If in the Bay Area I'd install it for a good 6-pack. Where ever you are, you're likely to find a helpful MNL member to strike a deal with...

EricBayArea said:
Why not just go to the dealership and honk a horn from each model until you find the one you like?

My guess is the Armada, Pathfinder and Xtera may yield the best results... but that's just a guess.

That's exactly what I did ;)
I liked Maxima's horn the best. Probably not the loudest, but the best sounding for my ears.

:p

DatsunPickup007.jpg

I'd think I'd have to go with the GT-R horn just on principle :)

Here is the link to a horn every Leafer loves... It has an awesome soud and best of all -- it works in the Leaf with no problems. NO NEED TO CHANGE RELAYS -- as I said before. Plug and play.

http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-74100-El-Grande-Horns/dp/B000DLBIGG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Give up that Nissan horn idea and go with the flow. ANY decent independent mechanic can put it in for you in 30 minutes. No big deal (for them).

ILETRIC said:
Here is the link to a horn every Leafer loves... It has an awesome soud and best of all -- it works in the Leaf with no problems. NO NEED TO CHANGE RELAYS -- as I said before. Plug and play.

http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-74100-El-Grande-Horns/dp/B000DLBIGG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Give up that Nissan horn idea and go with the flow. ANY decent independent mechanic can put it in for you in 30 minutes. No big deal (for them).
Stock horn: Meep, meep!
Fiamm: HONK! HONK!
icon_clapping.gif

aqn said:
ILETRIC said:

Here's the thing: I don't want something loud enough to annoy people, just alert them so they don't hit into me. (It is not wise to annoy people in the DC area, some crazy people out here.) I want to hear it in person before I spend my money. I've gone to the Nissan lot, but it's too much to ask to honk every horn on the lot! (Surprisingly, both a pickup truck and an SUV were not much louder. The Maxima was a bit better, but not that much.) I was hoping that someone would say that they have a particular model, and that it does have an adequate horn.

I have a LEAF. It has an adequate horn. :lol:

Seriously, the Fiamm are a decent replacement and are not overly loud to where anyone is going to complain. Seems pretty "average" to me, and a good replacement for the stock LEAF horn.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMmU_kVwnlQ[/youtube]

Mine is the red LEAF with the horn upgrade in the video. El Grande saved me from a crash when a woman was getting her side into my lane on the turn at the intersection. She would have not heard the stock horn, so it was a worthy and timely upgrade and, while it was a pain to install (no one tells you about those extra wires and connectors you have to come up with - one extra trip to GD Walmart), I was happy to figure it out. Also, the new El Grande model from Amazon has the crappy bracket that now has to be bent to fit but it's no longer perfect - it's not the same bracket as in the early model the people were getting.

This doesn't have to be a campaign to get you to do it a certain way, if you want the dealer to do it, great, as suggested try some of the horns... the trucks are likely to have the loudest, but you might like the Maxima, as another MNL forum member stated... I'm sure your dealer has at least ONE of everything to try. The FIAMM is not excessive but any one you like should be the one you buy!

sethr said:
aqn said:
ILETRIC said:

Here's the thing: I don't want something loud enough to annoy people, just alert them so they don't hit into me. (It is not wise to annoy people in the DC area, some crazy people out here.) I want to hear it in person before I spend my money. I've gone to the Nissan lot, but it's too much to ask to honk every horn on the lot! (Surprisingly, both a pickup truck and an SUV were not much louder. The Maxima was a bit better, but not that much.) I was hoping that someone would say that they have a particular model, and that it does have an adequate horn.

Reading this with interest ... as I find the horn just pathetic.

I am going to replace with the FIAMM mentioned ... except ... does the FIAMM beep at you when you unlock and lock the car doors?

One thing I find annoying as HELL are cars that beep their full horn when locking the doors. You can hear them a block away. My Toyota (Lexus) had a very quiet, but reassuring beep when you locked the doors, a full BLAST when sounding the horn ... so my question is ... will I really piss off the neighbors?

sp4rk said:
I am going to replace with the FIAMM mentioned ... except ... does the FIAMM beep at you when you unlock and lock the car doors?

No, those beeps are handled by the small speaker that is used for the Pedestrian sound. Stays the same after you replace the horn.

Back