This Commute Possible?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gergg

I've read a bunch of discussions on range, so I know this is on the edge of doable, but figured I'd pose the question anyway(I really want the Leaf to work). My daily commute is 40.5 miles each way(81 RT), half of it will be 55mph or less, the other half would be 63mph(I could go a tad slower). the 55mph or less miles cover easy highway travel plus a combined 15 miles of city routes. The 63 mph section is freeway, slight rolling terrain. I have a feeling that I could make it work as I am a nut about efficient driving and I've read about plenty of people making trips 80+ miles under seemingly similar travel conditions.....OK, so set me straight, I'm dreaming right :lol: Hey, if I can't make it work for my commute I'll get it for the wife and kids, they'll save $300 worth of gas a month.

Without having charging available at your destination, I wouldn't recommend the car for use as a daily commuter. While you MAY be able to make the trip under optimal conditions, you also may not. If you combine the fact that you'd like to run climate control on occasion or may meet unintended detours (side trips, roadblock, or other unforeseen circumstances), the margin of error is too small. Battery degradation with time/usage is also another concern.

If the car adds to your stress with the potential for range anxiety, it simply isn't worth it IMO. Whenever, I talk to people about the Leaf, I always refer to the EPA range of 73 miles per charge (and even then this is for people living in more temperate climates). It's better to under-promise and over-deliver then the reverse.

I've been able to reliably get around 70 miles out of my Leaf with Freeway speeds with around 1 or 2 bars left when I pull back into my driveway... I'm also in the foothills so it's hilly.

I'd find a 120volt plug at work you can plug into for peace of mind. 80 miles is stretching with a freeway commute.

I think you should ask your employer about charging at work. If your drive is that far, you're probably not the only one doing it so get some other employees who'd also jump to EV if charging was available to help with the pitch.

Good luck!

You are in Georgia, right? I drove round trip from Lawrenceville to Athens. 84 mi, and the GOM said I had 5 left. The trick is I didn't take 316 and go 65, I took the side roads and rarely made it over 55. It was doable, but not going over 60. I would certainly do it again, but for everyday it doesn't leave much wiggle room.

I have a 1st hand experience with this:

My round trip is 84 miles, all freeway at 65 mph, somewhat hilly terrain. I charged at work at L1 for 4 hours to suck up about 5 kW to make it home with about 4 miles on the GOM (guess-o-meter) and blinking 3 lines with no bars left.

Then the administrator found out (after 3 months of daily charging at the hospital dock) and threw me (my Leaf that is) out. I did pay for the juice as I always intended -- it came to 60 cents per day. I'm back to the ICE and family now Leafs around. We're at 19,000 after a year, so it's not all that bad. It would have been about 22,000 miles if I continued. I had withdrawal effectes for about 3 weeks after and I still think about the times I was able to commute in my Leaf. Those were "precious" 3 monhts.

You need, in my estimate, at least 2-3 hours of L1 charging to make your commute as described above.

Here is the spot...

SLHLeafparkingspot.jpg

Wasn't that sweet? Just perfect. Well, well...

My round trip is 84 miles, all freeway at 65 mph, somewhat hilly terrain. I charged at work at L1 for 4 hours to suck up about 5 kW to make it home with about 4 miles on the GOM (guess-o-meter) and blinking 3 lines with no bars left.

Then the administrator found out (after 3 months of daily charging at the hospital dock) and threw me (my Leaf that is) out. I did pay for the juice as I always intended -- it came to 60 cents per day. I'm back to the ICE and family now Leafs around. We're at 19,000 after a year, so it's not all that bad. It would have been about 22,000 miles if I continued. I had withdrawal effectes for about 3 weeks after and I still think about the times I was able to commute in my Leaf. Those were "precious" 3 monhts.

You need, in my estimate, at least 2-3 hours of L1 charging to make your commute as described above.
Yeah, I know you are right, guess I'll wait for a longer range EV for my commute. I think I will get an EV for the wife though, plenty of opportunity to save some gas with her travels.

I have been lurking for a few weeks and I'm about 9 - 12 months out from a commuter car purchase. Going to depricate my current car to third vehical status for long trips and towing.

I have a commute from Maryland into DC but I think it is too much, especially in the winter. We can have nasty winters at times where a week or two at a time will have morning temps in the teens and terrible snow traffic to boot.

The one way drive is 34 miles, 22 highway at 60MHP, and the rest either stop and go highway or city. I'm thinking that the 24KWH battery will not hold up in the winter time for this commute, especially after a few years. I drive pretty efficently now (I get 25 - 28 MPG on my V8 2004 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor), but I think the winter time range issue is going to push me in the direction of a Prius.

I'm thinking that to make this practical I will require either a L1 outlet at work or a 30KWH battery in the Leaf. I would prefer not to need the outlet at work, as I tend to switch jobs every few years, and need the car to be flexible.

It sounds like such a cool car.

ILETRIC said:

Wasn't that sweet? Just perfect. Well, well...

Your senario is exactly what I am afraid of!

P71VIC don't count EVs out just yet. Because you have 9 to 12 months before you need the commuter car, maybe you could wait just a little longer. I have seen several announcements indicating that in the not too distant future we may see the next generation of batteries.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/201...-lithium-ion-battery-cost-and-energy-density/

The timing may not be exactly right, but you may be close. I am waiting to see if we get an announcement either from GM or Nissan by the end of the year. Carlos Ghosn was quoted year ago as saying they would have a battery with double the energy density within four or five years. I heard a rumor, which I won't repeat, but it caused me to talk to my sales rep at Nissan. She said that she'd worked for Nissan for over six years and from day one they were told to always under promise and over deliver. After seeing Mr. Ghosn in "The Revenge of the Electric Car", I can see where he may be conservative in his prediction (i.e. "We don't want to alert the competition"). Time will tell but the range issue is such a big deal in getting acceptance of EVs that I'm sure the major players are racing to be first.

Another indicator is that my local Nissan dealer does not carry the LEAF yet. He is building a new facility and I wrote to him asking that they "stub out" a circuit for an L2 charger for possible future use. He wrote back that not only were they stubbing out the circuit but it was going to be a QC. This is even before he sells LEAFs. He further indicated that they would start carrying the LEAF when the next generation came out.

This is all somewhat circumstantial because no manufacturer will get too specific about the next generation for fear of losing current sales. Anyway, keep a close eye on EVs.

P71VIC said:
The one way drive is 34 miles, 22 highway at 60MHP, and the rest either stop and go highway or city.
The stop & go and low-speed driving will help extend range. I can get over 5 miles/kWh in that kind of driving. The highway driving is tough. I usually set my cruise to 55mph, and end up averaging about 4.2 miles/kWh in somewhat hilly western PA.

If you charge to 100% every day, I think you would make it, but it might be close if you go a little faster on the highway, or if you have to park the car outside in the elements without plugging in for pre-heating. If you really want to explore further, I suggest either renting one or taking one for an extended test drive, and try out your commute with it and see how it goes.

P71VIC said:
.. The one way drive is 34 miles, 22 highway at 60MHP, and the rest either stop and go highway or city. I'm thinking that the 24KWH battery will not hold up in the winter time ...
Honestly, I couldn't recommend the car for you even in fair weather. You'd have no room for side trips.

Has anyone asked management? Seen if there are other like-minded folks that would also buy an EV if there were an EVSE or 110 outlet available?

GM, Nissan, Ford and the rest really need to get a program together to help us make this feasible and increase their sales.

The coolest car you'll ever drive.

I would buy it anyway or at least lease it. You can easily do your commute as described without plugging in at work. During those terrible winter days switch to your ICE. How many of those days, anyway? 20-30 or so? Think spring, summer and fall. No problem. As an added benefit, your fuel cost will be 1/5th or less. And the fun. And no guilt burning, especially in slow traffic.

Leaf driving experience is one of pure serenity. Test drive it!

Back