GRA

Re: An EV Bibliography

Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:10 pm

Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:35 pm

Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

Becky50
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 02 Aug 2012
Leaf Number: 019032

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:39 pm

Thanks for creating this list. I am becoming more and more fascinated with technology. Is there a book about the death of the electric car or was that just a film/tv presentation?

GRA

Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:09 pm

Becky50 wrote:Thanks for creating this list. I am becoming more and more fascinated with technology. Is there a book about the death of the electric car or was that just a film/tv presentation?

Glad you find it useful. As far as your question, I believe it's the latter; I couldn't find any 'companion' book to the film.

BTW, added one more source that I'd read some time back, but forgot the title of. It's the RAND study by Dixon et al.

GRA

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:53 am

Added "Comparative Life Cycle Assessment of Conventional and Electric Cars" to list.

TEG

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:07 pm

GRA

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:53 pm

Thanks, I'll add it to the list. If you'd like to, feel free to provide a longer review and I'll add it to the listing.

EDIT: (10/31) I've now read it and have supplied my own review, or you can check out the reviews at Amazon.

GRA

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:31 pm

Added the following to the list, and moved things around slightly:

"Transportation and the New Generation: Why Young People Are Driving Less and What It Means for Transportation Policy"; Davis, Benjamin and Dutzik, Tony; 2012. Study describing how U.S. Generation Y's attitudes towards driving and auto ownership differ from other demographics. http://www.uspirg.org/sites/pirg/files/ ... 0vUS_0.pdf

GRA

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Added the following two books to the list:

"The Electric Vehicle: Technology and Expectations in the Automobile Age"; Mom, Gijs; 2004. Similar to Kirsch, but with greater coverage of early European developments, especially the use of EVs for commercial (taxi, truck) and government use (fire/street sweeper/garbage trucks etc.). Like Kirsch, it's written by an academic so can drag a bit at times, and translation from the original Dutch results in occasionally awkward syntax, but lots of great info here for those with patience.

"Reinventing the Automobile: Personal Urban Mobility for the 21st Century"; Mitchell, William J; Borroni-Bird, Christopher E.; and Burns, Lawrence D.; 2010. Describes how urban cars can be transformed by a combination of four ideas: transforming the DNA (i.e. design principles) of autos, via electric drive and wireless communications; The Mobility Internet, data sharing between vehicles, parking spaces, roads etc. to minimize congestion and travel time; integration of EVs with a Smart, clean grid; real-time controls for urban mobility and energy systems, i.e. dynamic pricing for electricity, roads, parking, and shared vehicles. Burns was VP of R&D at GM from 1998-2009, Borroni-Bird was Director of Advanced Technology Vehicle Concepts, also at GM; Mitchell is a professor at MIT, and head of the Smart Cities Group there.

GRA

Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:17 pm

Added the following to the list:

"U.S. Parking Policies: An Overview of Management Strategies"; Weinberger, Rachel; Kaeny, John; Rufo, Matthew; 2010. Describes and recommends sustainable parking policies to reduce congestion and pollution while reducing housing costs and making infill redevelopment of older buildings possible, with examples from U.S. communities which have implemented some or all of them, and the effects. Published by and available online from the Institute for Transportation and Development Policy:

http://www.itdp.org/library/publication ... strategies

If you can't get enough of this sort of thing, there's a longer report detailing European examples, "Europe's Parking U-Turn", at http://www.itdp.org/library/publication ... regulation

And if you want to go back to the ur-text that influenced these, look no further than

"The High Cost of Free Parking"; Shoup, Donald C.; 2005, updated 2011. I've read it, but trust me, unless you're a transportation planner who needs all the facts, figures and cost calculations justifying the policies, you don't need to. The ideas it contains are expressed in both of the above reports.

and

"High Voltage: The Fast Track to Plug In the Auto Industry"; Motavalli, Jim; 2011. Follow on to the above, and very recent history. Indeed, long-time MNL members have experienced, discussed and in some cases possibly influenced the events in the book, and many of the vehicles described are just reaching the market. Can be read with Fletcher's book below, but Motavalli, a frequent contributor to PluginCars.com, puts more emphasis on the individual cars and companies. See how well his predictions as of 2011 of which companies and cars were likely to sink or swim panned out.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”