Another one from Seattle area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Just joined, still reading over the old posts on this forum.

I live in Newcastle, and am already driving a Zap Xebra (2008 hatchback, green). Been waiting for the Leaf for quite some time now (or anything equivalent). Leaf will be replacing my wife's 1998 Chevy Prizm, and I have my reservation number so hopefully I'll have it by year's end.

I've been working with Ray at Campbell Nelson Nissan in Lynnwood. Good guy, seems to know his stuff and happens to be on this forum, apparently. I've been to "Nissan of the Eastside" in Bellevue a couple times for service on my Murano and am VERY displeased with that dealership. I will NEVER do business with them ever again, which is why I'm going 20 miles out of my way to Campbell because they seem to actually care about their customers a little bit (go figure, maybe THEY want repeat business?) :)

Also, I'll be adding myself to the list of members complaining about the cost of installing the quick charger (or, rather, the glorified extension cord). The electrician that did my evaluation said my install was one of the easiest types to do. Panel has plenty of room, unit is being installed on the same wall only 4 feet away, walls are exposed. So what does AeroVironment want to do the install? $1600 plus the cost of the unit! WTF???? This is an install I could do myself in about an hour.

Anyway, just saying Hi, hopefully I'll be able to provide useful information in the coming days/months/years.

~ Blorg

blorg said:
Just joined, still reading over the old posts on this forum.

I live in Newcastle, and am already driving a Zap Xebra (2008 hatchback, green). Been waiting for the Leaf for quite some time now (or anything equivalent). Leaf will be replacing my wife's 1998 Chevy Prizm, and I have my reservation number so hopefully I'll have it by year's end.

I've been working with Ray at Campbell Nelson Nissan in Lynnwood. Good guy, seems to know his stuff and happens to be on this forum, apparently. I've been to "Nissan of the Eastside" in Bellevue a couple times for service on my Murano and am VERY displeased with that dealership. I will NEVER do business with them ever again, which is why I'm going 20 miles out of my way to Campbell because they seem to actually care about their customers a little bit (go figure, maybe THEY want repeat business?) :)

Also, I'll be adding myself to the list of members complaining about the cost of installing the quick charger (or, rather, the glorified extension cord). The electrician that did my evaluation said my install was one of the easiest types to do. Panel has plenty of room, unit is being installed on the same wall only 4 feet away, walls are exposed. So what does AeroVironment want to do the install? $1600 plus the cost of the unit! WTF???? This is an install I could do myself in about an hour.

Anyway, just saying Hi, hopefully I'll be able to provide useful information in the coming days/months/years.

~ Blorg

Thank you for the vote of confidence and I appreciate your business.

evnow said:
Welcome to the forum. How come you are not in EV Project ?

I am (recently signed up) but I'm not holding my breath that everyone on the list will have a "free" charger installed. Besides, I'm not really one to ask for other taxpayers to pay for something that I wouldn't pay for myself.

evnow said:
blorg said:
I am (recently signed up) ....

Oh. So you reserved recently ?
My guess would be, he meant he recently signed up for the EVProject, but has had a LEAF reserved since 4/20 (because he mentioned that he hoped to have the car by year's end).

LEAFer said:
evnow said:
blorg said:
I am (recently signed up) ....

Oh. So you reserved recently ?
My guess would be, he meant he recently signed up for the EVProject, but has had a LEAF reserved since 4/20 (because he mentioned that he hoped to have the car by year's end).

Correct. I have a reservation number for the Leaf (as of a few months ago), they keep telling me that I'll be able to get one. I've just recently signed up on the EVProject web site to show support and just see if they will install my charger for free. But, like I said, why should I make other taxpayers pay for my charger? I'll probably do what several others on this forum are planning and have another electrician install it later for a fraction of the price.

blorg said:
...why should I make other taxpayers pay for my charger? I'll probably do what several others on this forum are planning and have another electrician install it later for a fraction of the price.

The good news, blorg, is that if you are accepted into the EV Project, you'll not be taking money from a taxpayer because you won't own the EVSE - it's a loaner for the duration of a Department of Energy study. The taxpayers have already paid for the study and the equipment. You don't get to influence that process - you only get to decide if you want to add your data to the project. When the project is over you can either buy the EVSE or give it back.

AndyH said:
blorg said:
...why should I make other taxpayers pay for my charger? I'll probably do what several others on this forum are planning and have another electrician install it later for a fraction of the price.

The good news, blorg, is that if you are accepted into the EV Project, you'll not be taking money from a taxpayer because you won't own the EVSE - it's a loaner for the duration of a Department of Energy study. The taxpayers have already paid for the study and the equipment. You don't get to influence that process - you only get to decide if you want to add your data to the project. When the project is over you can either buy the EVSE or give it back.
Where did you hear it was a loaner? I would think it would be payment for helping the EV project.

blorg said:
Correct. I have a reservation number for the Leaf (as of a few months ago), they keep telling me that I'll be able to get one. I've just recently signed up on the EVProject web site to show support and just see if they will install my charger for free.

Most of the EVP people signed up for the project while reserving. We were asked a separate set of questions to apply to EVP during reservation, based on ZIP code.

At one point the EVProject described you keeping the EVSE, but its fancy features would be disabled. Yes, you lose it if you do not participate "properly" in the Project.
Maybe things changed, but I doubt it.

garygid said:
At one point the EVProject described you keeping the EVSE, but its fancy features would be disabled. Yes, you lose it if you do not participate "properly" in the Project.
Maybe things changed, but I doubt it.

I've never read anything about keeping or returning it. Was it there in one of the mails they sent - which I don't read ?

garygid said:
As I recall, it was in the on-line "agreement" that one had to accept to apply for the EVProject program.

Anyway, in 3 years we will have a lot of choices, probably even on ebay.

I'd have to say though, that it will probably cost them more to send an electrician to take it out, safely plug the hole, refurb it & sell it - than they can sell it for. They will be better off letting us buy it for a small fee.

Back