Battery in Palm Springs, CA/Lease question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyas

Some quick thoughts: I am researching leasing Leaf--and see a cornucopia of issues regarding battery depletion in extreme heat. (And yes--Palm Springs is just like AZ). Is this something that should be worried about on a 39 month lease?

Would be highly nervous purchasing this car--but would assume that under the lease I would be fine. But if it does act up within the 36 months--is this under a warranty?

Thanks.

And has anyone bought one out in Palm Springs?

woodyas said:
Some quick thoughts: I am researching leasing Leaf--and see a cornucopia of issues regarding battery depletion in extreme heat. (And yes--Palm Springs is just like AZ). Is this something that should be worried about on a 39 month lease?

Would be highly nervous purchasing this car--but would assume that under the lease I would be fine. But if it does act up within the 36 months--is this under a warranty?

Thanks.

can your commuting/driving needs work with only 70% of the reported range?

if so, i would lease it.

woodyas said:
Yes, but it didn't work out too well:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss#one_bars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stoaty said:
woodyas said:
Yes, but it didn't work out too well:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss#one_bars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yup, that was me. In reality, we love the car and it works (still) well for our requirements (commute under 10 miles and no freeway). On average, we use it for about 40+ miles a day, even after a 1 bar loss. As with others here, I would recommend it for those purposes only and also, just for lease. The dealers in the valley (Palm Springs Nissan and Torre Nissan) are high priced. I would recommend going to Fontana Nissan (Danny) as they are offering the best deals on 2012s (notice the ad at the top of MNL) and should still be delivering to home as they did with ours (it's at the top of range in miles).

Thanks to everyone for their great feedback.

More for commute of 14 miles roundtrip--and all street traffic.

No freeway.

Would be used for that and gong to the store. Still have my Wife's Volkswagon Eos and my Mazda Miata.

Again...thank you.

Just keep in mind that there is NO capacity warranty so there is no guarantee that Nissan will do anything for you if you have a substantial loss of capacity... The 3/36 vehicle warranty does not apply to the battery since it has it's own separate warranty.

ztanos said:
I'd suggest going with a 36 month lease to stay inside warranty, also. Just in case.

woodyas said:
More for commute of 14 miles roundtrip--and all street traffic.
No freeway.

What hurts the battery is a combination of high temperature AND high state of charge, as long as you keep it no higher than 60% charged you should be fine for the length of the lease. If you need more range, charge it just before you use it..These numbers are borrowed from what GM uses in the Volt, its a similar battery chemistry.

TomT said:
Just keep in mind that there is NO capacity warranty so there is no guarantee that Nissan will do anything for you if you have a substantial loss of capacity... The 3/36 vehicle warranty does not apply to the battery since it has it's own separate warranty.

ztanos said:
I'd suggest going with a 36 month lease to stay inside warranty, also. Just in case.

This is true... but with a "Lease" of 39 months, he is required to pay for anything that is wrong in those last 3 months. Not just battery issues.

Back