New Calif. Program Helps low/moderate income get new or used hybrids/EVs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 10599

https://pluginamerica.org/new-ca-program-offers-ev-assistance-for-low-to-moderate-income-residents/?eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=b1767ecf-663c-4dc9-b107-0b2da1464c07

Looks to me like this is a huge opportunity. One criticism of our current rebate program is that it only provides assistance on the purchase of a new car. That makes it unreachable for many lower income individuals who could really benefit from the lower operating costs of an EV. And a $5,000 grant toward the purchase of a used Leaf can really make a huge difference for someone on a tight budget. And they will give a qualifying EV purchaser a free L2 charger.

With eligibility including up to an 8 year old vehicle with 75k miles, that could practically get someone with qualifying income a free car and charger.

Downside is they probably don't have enough funding for this to last. Also the steps to qualify include working with their approved lender, which probably means you will pay more once the lender loads up the deal so it is profitable for them too.

Also, you have to buy from a dealer as the funds go direct to the dealer, which again adds cost. But that is understandable otherwise EV owners could just trade their cars with each other and get $5k checks.

Perhaps there are more devils hiding in the details that will only surface if you go through the application process. I hope not. I know a bunch of people that this could really help out if it is as good as it claims to be.

Back