Nissan Shifts From ‘Shift’ to ‘Innovation’ plus New Leaf ad

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/24/nissan-shifts-from-shift-to-innovation/

Eight years after urging consumers to “Shift” their buying behavior when it comes to cars, trucks and minivans, Nissan North America is changing brand themes.

In a campaign that is scheduled to get under way on Saturday, Nissan North America, part of the Nissan Motor Company of Japan, will proclaim its mission is to provide “Innovation for all.”
Leaf is “the poster child for innovation,” Mr. Brancheau said on Tuesday morning at the first of a series of meetings with reporters in New York, and as such will be “absolutely critical” to how the Nissan brand fares.

And the Leaf ad ...

And in a spot for the Leaf, a polar bear is shown leaving its native habitat as the ice melts and traveling through unfamiliar landscapes until arriving in a suburban driveway. It at first seems as if the commercial will be a plaintive paean for environmental conservation to guilt viewers into buying a Leaf.

But the spot takes a wry turn as the bear goes up to a man getting into his Leaf in that driveway and giving him a fervent, well, bear hug, to thank him for buying the car.

The intent is to offer “a little twist, perhaps a wink,” Mr. Brancheau said, to offer some relief from the oh-so-serious tack that so many car ads take.

decode-polar-480.jpg

It's a great ad. The tricky thing about marketing innovation is that you are often marketing what consumers can't yet purchase from you and further you are dissing what they can purchase from you. For example, in the commercial they are dissing gasoline but today nearly all of Nissan's products today run on gasoline. The key is to target the ads and the message. For example, Discovery Green channel would be good. CBS prime time, probably not.

But the spot takes a wry turn as the bear goes up to a man getting into his Leaf in that driveway and giving him a fervent, well, bear hug, to thank him for buying the car.
If someone finds a video of this ad, please post it here! My girlfriend has a huge things for bears and she'll love this.

JasonT said:
If someone finds a video of this ad, please post it here! My girlfriend has a huge things for bears and she'll love this.

Yeah, I gotta see that one too.

JasonT said:

I did a couple of searches a few minutes ago and didn't find the bear ad. I'm looking forward to seeing it as well.

Looks like the "Polar Bear" ad is set to debut on September 9th, two weeks on Thursday:

On Sept. 9, the brand plans to introduce "Polar Bear," which takes on global warming by showing the threatened species hugging a consumer who bought the Leaf.

http://www.brandweek.com/bw/content_display/news-and-features/direct/e3i1108aba159819c85435e702fe4efab6d

http://blogs.forbes.com/melaniewells/2010/08/24/toyota-nissan-innovation-advertising-leaf/

With Toyota Down, Nissan Hopes ‘Innovation’ Gives It Edge

I have to give Nissan's marketing team very high marks for their job with the Leaf so far. I think it has been outstanding. This 'shift' to 'innovation for all' makes a lot of sense within the context they've established with the iAd, internet presence, social media, etc. (not to mention, of course, the new technology and design of the Nissan products themselves). Kudos, once again.

NISSAN LAUNCHES ‘INNOVATION FOR ALL’ BRAND CAMPAIGN TO BUILD ON US MARKET GROWTH
New campaign to feature full line of Nissan vehicles, innovations that drive them

FRANKLIN, Tenn. (Aug. 25, 2010) – Nissan North America, Inc. (NNA) today announced a significant new marketing initiative to showcase the strength of Nissan’s innovative product portfolio and build on 10 straight months of sales growth for the Nissan brand in the U.S. market. The campaign, to be headlined under the theme “Innovation for All,” will launch on Aug. 28 and permeate a variety of medium and targets over the next several months.

“Innovation for All” will begin with a series of five television spots that capture Nissan’s history, track record and process of innovation. The campaign features the full line of Nissan products – from the 100-percent electric Nissan LEAF and Altima mid-size sedan to the Z sports car, Titan full-size pickup truck and cube ® activity vehicle. The versatile campaign also will appear in print and online with a consistent look and feel.

“Innovation has been the heart and soul of the Nissan brand for nearly 100 years,” said Jon Brancheau, vice president, Marketing, NNA. “‘Innovation for All’ isn’t simply a new marketing idea. It’s the very foundation of Nissan worldwide. This campaign captures Nissan’s spirit and continued drive towards innovation – not just for the elite, but for everyone.”

The campaign, developed by longtime partners TBWA\Chiat\Day Los Angeles, depicts Nissan’s innovation through a series of stories that are in turn whimsical, heartwarming, technology-minded, spirited and poignant. “We’re sharing Nissan stories that are as exciting, intelligent and innovative as the brand itself,” said Rob Schwartz, chief creative officer, TBWA\Chiat\Day Los Angeles.

The first of the “Innovation” ads will debut Aug. 28 during the ESPN College Football Preview Show:
• “Innovations” – A celebration of Nissan’s current innovations, including smart phone apps, recycled materials, air purifiers, the Juke – the world’s first Sports Cross – and the 100-percent electric Nissan LEAF.

The second set of ad spots, set to air beginning Sept 1, include:
• “Baby” – A soon-to-be dad transforms his 370Z into a Maxima sports sedan for the arrival of his first child.
• “Kidzilla” – A little boy’s toy car collection endures a beating, from dog-chewing to water plunges, but the Nissan Altima remains unscathed – just like in the real world.
• “Dime” – One of the most important safety innovations that Nissan delivers in every new car is its brake override system. This ad shows that a Nissan truly can stop on a dime.

Sept. 9 marks the debut of “Polar Bear,” a highlight of the “Innovation for All” campaign as it previews the Nissan LEAF – the world’s first mass market, affordable zero-emission 100-percent electric vehicle. In this story, a polar bear journeys from the icy Arctic through forests, highways, train tracks and over bridges to the big city and then on to the suburbs, where the animal finds someone who is trying to help – the owner of an all-electric Nissan LEAF.

The “Innovation for All” campaign represents a significant marketing initiative for Nissan, aiming to deliver over 200,000,000 media impressions before the end of 2010.

In North America, Nissan's operations include automotive styling, engineering, consumer and corporate financing, sales and marketing, distribution and manufacturing. Nissan is dedicated to improving the environment under the Nissan Green Program 2010 and has been recognized as a 2010 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year by the U.S Environmental Protection Agency. More information on Nissan in North America and the complete line of Nissan and Infiniti vehicles can be found online at www.NissanUSA.com and www.InfinitiUSA.com.

Does anyone else see a huge hit with the LEAF?

Personally I think it's going to be the next "Prius"... especially here in SoCal.

cdub said:
Does anyone else see a huge hit with the LEAF?

Personally I think it's going to be the next "Prius"... especially here in SoCal.

Absolutely, but waaaay better than a prius...not even in the same league. My last gasoline car was a '90 Toyota Celica GT-S (had it converted to run on cng in '98). After driving it for 15 years (engine caught fire from leaky gasoline injectors while driving it on cng), I told myself I would never have another gasoline car (including hybrids) even if it obtained 200 mpg. My dream is almost here. :D

Back