Prop 23 in Calif to roll back global warming law

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer23

LA Times, Sept 4

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-prop-23-koch-20100904,0,969078.story

"The fight over a November ballot initiative (Prop 23, clarification by Boomer23) to suspend California's global warming law (already enacted Prop 32, clarification by Boomer23) has escalated sharply with the Koch brothers, oil billionaires and "tea party" backers, making a million-dollar entry into the fray."

My favorite quote from the article:

"The goal of AB 32 "is to reduce the use of petroleum," said Charles Drevna, president of the National Petrochemical and Refiners Assn. "What happens in California doesn't stay in California. Other states are waiting to see … if they can inflict similar harm on their constituents.""

Reducing the use of petroleum is inflicting harm on constituents? I didn't think anybody thought that any more.

Please vote No on AB 23 this November.

Boomer23 said:
California's global warming law (already enacted Prop 32, clarification by Boomer23) ....

Just a clarification on the clarification. It is not a proposition - it is Act 32.

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Text_of_California_Assembly_Bill_32_(2006)

indyflick said:
Big time NO. Also, here are the brands to avoid. Profits from the sales of these brands simply circles back to attack the planet.

The only one we have used in that list is brawny. Anyway, we switched to some recycled towels sometime back.

The Koch brothers are also funding the campaign for the Republican candidate for Congress in my district (AZ #8). This candidate has tea party leanings with privatizing social security and getting rid of Medicare. They must be trying to buy Congress and determine prop 23 in CA. My partner met with one of the brothers about 12 years to do a big project for children in Kansas. After several trips there, many meetings, and big promises of lots of money to do this project, nothing happened - nothing. Koch didn't spend a cent on the project and it didn't happen.

Azrich said:
The Koch brothers are also funding the campaign for the Republican candidate for Congress in my district (AZ #8). This candidate has tea party leanings with privatizing social security and getting rid of Medicare. They must be trying to buy Congress and determine prop 23 in CA. My partner met with one of the brothers about 12 years to do a big project for children in Kansas. After several trips there, many meetings, and big promises of lots of money to do this project, nothing happened - nothing. Koch didn't spend a cent on the project and it didn't happen.
Did you know the Koch brothers ARE or WERE the Tea Party. They funded it through Dick Armey's FreedomWorks astroturfing outfit. At first they were Libertarian and so their positions were already fairly well documented. Somehow along the way the Mormon church co-oped the Tea Party. So now they have this far right position of personal liberties, which I don't think sets real well with the Libertarians. Also the Tea Party is rocking the Republican leadership and behind the scenes they aren't real happy.

indyflick said:
Somehow along the way the Mormon church co-oped the Tea Party. So now they have this far right position of personal liberties, which I don't think sets real well with the Libertarians. Also the Tea Party is rocking the Republican leadership and behind the scenes they aren't real happy.

I had not heard of church connection ...

Obviously Tea Party candidates have nothing to do with being libertarian - except for deregulation. Come to think of it libertarians have not much to do with personal liberties - as the "political compass" thread shows.

Here is a perspective on tea party & the election ..

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/15/voters-deliver-a-reminder-to-republicans-and-pundits/

Did you know the Koch brothers ARE or WERE the Tea Party. They funded it through Dick Armey's FreedomWorks astroturfing outfit. At first they were Libertarian and so their positions were already fairly well documented.

The Koch brothers' parents were big John Birch Society members in the 50's and 60's. After they died, the brothers fought over the money, spending BIG bucks on attorney fees. Apparently, they have now decided to unite on some issues. Since Koch is an oil company, it doesn't surprise anyone what they are doing with Prop 23.

evnow said:
indyflick said:
Somehow along the way the Mormon church co-oped the Tea Party. So now they have this far right position of personal liberties, which I don't think sets real well with the Libertarians. Also the Tea Party is rocking the Republican leadership and behind the scenes they aren't real happy.

I had not heard of church connection ...

Obviously Tea Party candidates have nothing to do with being libertarian - except for deregulation. Come to think of it libertarians have not much to do with personal liberties - as the "political compass" thread shows.

Here is a perspective on tea party & the election ..

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/15/voters-deliver-a-reminder-to-republicans-and-pundits/

Here's an article from earlier this year on the oil and Mormon church connection in the Tea Party movement.

indyflick said:
evnow said:
Obviously Tea Party candidates have nothing to do with being libertarian
Sure they do, check out Rand Paul.

He can call himself whatever he wants - doesn't make him a libertarian. Afterall North Korea calls itself Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

indyflick said:
Here's an article from earlier this year on the oil and Mormon church connection in the Tea Party movement.
I didn't see anything in that article about a connection with the Mormon Church, apart from the statement that Beck is a Mormon. I used to be a Quaker, and I worked for IBM. Does that mean IBM was connected with the Quakers? The article does assert that the Tea Party and Mormons have some similarities in ideology, but that again is not a real connection. I share some ideological basics with Earth Liberation Front, but I never have, and never would, support them.

I think it is clear that there is a connection between the Tea Party and the Koch brothers. The Mormon Church - not so much.

planet4ever said:
I think it is clear that there is a connection between the Tea Party and the Koch brothers. The Mormon Church - not so much.

There was one hell of a connection between the Mormons and Prop 8. :evil:

Back