AndyH

Re: Germany's Energiewende: The Future? A Failure? Both?

Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:07 am

RegGuheert wrote:Ad hominems stacked upon ad hominems. That's all you are capable of when faced with technical calculations which show the extreme absurdity of the Energiewende at this point in time. Unfortunately, many Germans are suffering at this East German approach to managing energy.

The good news of Engiewende is that energy-intensive German businesses are moving out of the country to places with affordable energy, including the United States.

I recommend you review the definition of the ad hominem. I'd also like you to review your posts and note that it's very difficult to hide your own attacks even when attempting to redirect on others. Feel free to knock it off. Starting now. Thanks in advance. Finally, if you think I'm attacking you or anyone else by posting factual and sourced posts, please press the 'report post' button on the lower right as often as you care to. Enjoy!

Feel free to cite a source that supports your assertion that "many Germans are suffering". I've provided sources direct from those Germans - the ones that are pooling their own money to buy the wind turbines they are planting on their own hills. They are taking control of their own power, they are generating about 200% of their own needs via wind, PV, solar thermal, and biogas, and they're selling energy to the rest of the country.

https://vimeo.com/70645514
http://welcometotheenergiewende.blogspot.de/

So, to recap: They are voluntarily investing their own money, they are getting a higher rate of return on their retirement accounts than by holding stocks and bonds, they are completely energy independent (electricity, building heat, hot water, and transportation if they wish), electricity prices and greenhouse gas emissions are both way down, and they are continuing to support their nation's push to 80% renewable power by 2050.

Yeah man - that's horrible. I cannot imagine what those silly Germans are thinking. If they weren't wasting so much money on all these turbines they'd have been able to bail out most of Europe after the US triggered a global financial meltdown...oh...they did? Never mind. :roll: :lol: :lol:

http://cleantechnica.com/2015/02/01/analysis-shows-germanys-energiewende-right-track/

There is a great debate about the success or otherwise of Germany’s Energiewende, or Energy Transition. Most of it is uninformed, and much of it is fuelled by the nuclear and coal industries, which have most to lose from the push into renewables by Europe’s most successful economy.

This series of graphs shows how the renewable targets are on track, have lowered emissions, decoupled energy consumption from economic growth, pushed wholesale prices down to record lows, and are now pushing retail prices down. And it has done some interesting things to the energy mix.

The graphs were prepared in a report by Agora Energiewende, a Berlin-based think tank whose former head Rainer Bakke is now the chief advisor to Germany’s energy and economics minister on the future of the Energiewende.

The first graph shows that the renewable target is still on track. This graph shows the target for 2025, and that will continue to a target of 55-60 per cent by 2035, and 80 per cent by 2050.

"The stupid become extinct."-Bill Mollison

2015 smart Electric Drive "The Bumblebee"
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

RegGuheert
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926

Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:01 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:I wish we had that many wind turbines! That is awesome - thanks for posting.
It seems that many in Germany do not share that opinion and the German courts are finally hearing the will of the people: German Court Strikes Down Wind Turbine Project, Citing “Disfigurement Of The Natural Scenery”!
The website of flagship ZDF German public television here writes a very short, well-buried report on a recent fast-track ruling by a German court in Arnsberg concerning the approval of a wind park project in Central Germany. The court found that wind turbines do in fact severely blight the natural landscape and therefore may not be built in areas of particular beauty.

The ruling is the latest development in the rapidly growing public resistance to wind power by German citizens, thus posing another major obstacle for the approval and construction of onshore wind turbines.
Also from the same article:
150 angry citizens protest wind park in Elpe

Meanwhile the WAZ daily here reports that 150 angry residents turned out to protest plans to install 7 large wind turbines in the area under the motto: “Stop the madness!” It was the first protest the town had seen, and is a loud signal that the public is getting fed up.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
2011 miles at purchase. 10K miles on Apr 14, 2013. 20K miles (55.7Ah) on Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah) on Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah) on Feb 8, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

XeonPony
Delivery Date: 03 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 413826

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:12 am

150 people isn't a drip in the statistical bucket, ie, irrelevant in such a large scale issue.

We had more people protesting the updated sex ed curriculum In Ontario Canada!

So far massive success from my point of view.
2013 SV Leaf, Level 2 charger, so far all works great! 130Km daily, 100% charge at night on 240 then trickle charge for 8H durring the day on 120v.

Level 2 charge starts at 130am environmental starts at 6am to 25c for a toasty warm defrosted car!

RegGuheert

Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:11 pm

XeonPony wrote:So far massive success from my point of view.
From what perspective is it a success? Let's see:

Germany has increased their price of electricity to the second highest in Europe:

They have destroyed their scenic countryside:

And what do the German people have to show for it? They have reduced their CO2 emissions by a smaller percentage than all but two other European countries:

That was the main intent, was it not? Not from the chart that there is virtually no correlation between the installation of renewable generators and the reduction of CO2 emissions.

So, how did some European countries reduce their emissions? By going into recession:

Greece should get a medal!
RegGuheert
2011 miles at purchase. 10K miles on Apr 14, 2013. 20K miles (55.7Ah) on Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah) on Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah) on Feb 8, 2017.

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:30 pm

It is clear you are posting fraudulent graphs that confuse causation. Are you a climate change denier ?
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to ?

ydnas7

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:08 am

RegGuheert wrote:
XeonPony wrote:So far massive success from my point of view.
From what perspective is it a success? Let's see:

Germany has increased their price of electricity to the second highest in Europe:

back in OZ
my 'grandfathered' feed in tariff is about twice what I pay for peak electricity :D
my peak electricity is about twice what I pay for off peak electricity
my offpeak electricity is about twice what a new solar installation get for feed in tariff.

you bet my neighbours are paying me to produce electricity, :roll:

RegGuheert

Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:34 pm

It seems that even some climate alarmists who have studied the Energiewende believe it is a failure:
Professor Joachim Weimann wrote:For climate protection, we do not need the Energiewende.
Professor Joachim Weimann wrote:It is doing nothing for saving resources.
Professor Joachim Weimann wrote:It is also doing nothing for jobs and new technology.
Weimann summarizes, saying Germany’s Energiewende resulted in:
Professor Joachim Weimann wrote:No energy independence.
Professor Joachim Weimann wrote:Negative job creation.
Professor Joachim Weimann wrote:A price tag of up to 1.2 trillion euros.
RegGuheert

Stoaty
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:25 pm

By "climate alarmist" I assume you are referring to those who accept mainstream climate science?
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

AndyH

Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:19 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/22/carbon-germany-emissions-idUSL5N0YD3L320150522
FRANKFURT, May 22 (Reuters) - German carbon dioxide (CO2) equivalent emissions regulated under the European emissions trading scheme (ETS) in 2014 fell by 4.1 percent to 461.2 million tonnes, according to official national data released on Friday.

The number was published by Germany's carbon registry DEHSt and underscored the general trend of lower pollution in the EU last year.

The bloc's ETS emissions fell 4.5 percent, helped by the rise of renewable energy and mild weather, which lowers energy demand...

The EU is on course to have reached its CO2 reduction target for 2020 - when volume should be 20 percent below emissions in 1990 - six years early.

CO2 and CO2 equivalent of all GHGs has been falling since 1990.
https://unfccc.int/files/ghg_emissions_data/application/pdf/deu_ghg_profile.pdf

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19308&start=10#p428724

evnow wrote:It is clear you are posting fraudulent graphs that confuse causation. Are you a climate change denier ?

:shock:
Naw. He's just another honest man.

"The stupid become extinct."-Bill Mollison

2015 smart Electric Drive "The Bumblebee"
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:59 pm

Oh, the Horror! Clearly Reg has never seen pictures of Los Angeles smog, or smelled the stuff. I'd be more concerned with bird deaths and noise than having to *look at* what it takes to feed our appetite for energy.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”