Nissan corporate news

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

I don't think there is a thread dedicated to Nissan's business overall.

For those who haven't followed the news, Nissan has greatly increased it's worldwide production capacity and sales in the ~ four years since the LEAF was introduced.

It sounds like future investments will definitely include BEVs as a priority:

Now, Nissan will build up products, tech

Investment goals shift after plant expansion

YOKOHAMA, Japan -- After several years of opening factories, Nissan Motor Corp. now will channel investment into new products and technologies, said CEO Carlos Ghosn. Top priorities will be electrified drivetrains, fuel cell technologies, autonomous drive systems and connected-car products, Ghosn told a small group of reporters last week.

Nissan does not disclose global capacity figures. But with its new factories, it lifted global output to 5.1 million vehicles in the fiscal year ended March 31 from 4.2 million four years earlier...
http://www.autonews.com/article/20150524/OEM/305259988/now-nissan-will-build-up-products-tech

MODERATORS NOTE: Please respect fair use copyright laws when quoting articles. Quote trimmed.

Well, from this report, it sure sounds like Nissan is serious about its future being in manufacturing autonomous BEVs.

Big talk, but no details of what this means for the Gen 2 LEAF and/or Infiniti EV, both of which may still be introduced before the 2019/2020 time-frame.

Nissan plans for breakthrough battery, 10% of its cars EVs before the end of the decade

October 20, 2015 By Bertel Schmitt

Nissan, first mover in the electric vehicle space, plans for a major EV inflection point in the 2019/2020 time-frame. By that date, two factors will cause EVs go mainstream, the company said today.

Nissan is so confident of its technological moxie that it will base its complete Japanese marketing on EVs and autonomous drive, we heard today. Nissan will have true autonomous drive “before anyone else” Akiko Hoshino said today in a subtle put-down of wannabe autonomous tech.
http://dailykanban.com/2015/10/nissan-plans-for-breakthrough-battery-10-of-its-cars-evs-before-the-end-of-the-decade/

MODERATORS NOTE: Please respect fair use copyright laws when quoting articles. Quote trimmed.

Nissan/Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn in a ~40 minute wide-ranging Q&A, (video at link) summarized in the article below.

Re the gen 2 LEAF:

Carlos Ghosn:

...there is going to be a new LEAF coming. We didn’t take the leadership of electric car to abandon it. We are going to be fighting for it, we are going to continue to develop cars. But we would like to make announcement just before the cars come and not a long time before. So you are going to see us coming with products, with technologies, with enhancements, with reduction of costs and (more range).”...
http://insideevs.com/carlos-ghosn-fiat-taking-risky-stand-on-evs-fight-is-on-against-chevy-bolt-ev/

I hope reduction in costs statement indicates the next LEAF (at least the base model) will not be burdened by the high cost and reduced efficiency imposed by a ~60 kWh pack.

An important point that article missed, was CG's statement after ~4 minutes on future Ultra Low Emission Vehicles:

Carlos Ghosn:

...mainly an electric car with something added, not a gasoline engine vehicle with a motor added...
Which sounds like it might be a confirmation of previous lower-level announcements of a BEVx from Nissan in the near future, as discussed here:

...As we reported last week, Nissan will unveil its first range-extending EV as early as 2016, but it won’t be the next LEAF, so unless it’s a dedicated new ‘green’ model, the JUKE EV could be revealed earlier than expected next year.

Effectively an electric vehicle incorporating an onboard engine to power the batteries but not drive the wheels, the ‘REV’ will combine the LEAF’s large-capacity electric motor with a small-capacity petrol engine that acts as a generator to charge the batteries when they run down...
http://www.motoring.com.au/nissan-to-tone-down-next-juke-100484/

The “range–extended” EV (BEVx) considered

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6847&start=330

I just hope their folks developing autonomous car software aren't the same ones who worked on CarWings. :roll:

A-Motorist-Driving-the-Wrong-Way.jpg

Today's announcement would seem to end speculation that Nissan might outsource most or all future battery production:

Nissan has today announced its commitment to produce a future generation of electric vehicle (EV) batteries at its flagship manufacturing base in Sunderland, UK.

Representing a £26.5m investment in the UK, this commitment will safeguard 300 highly-skilled jobs in manufacturing, maintenance and engineering at Nissan’s advanced lithium-ion battery plant in Sunderland, the largest of its type in Europe...

Already the global leaders in electric vehicles, and with a new 155-mile (250km) range Nissan LEAF on sale across Europe this month, this long-term commitment signals Nissan’s bold vision for the future of zero-emission motoring...
http://www.newsroom.nissan-europe.com/uk/en-gb/Media/Media.aspx?mediaid=141565

Nubo said:
I just hope their folks developing autonomous car software aren't the same ones who worked on CarWings. :roll:

VW's CarNet app makes CarWings feel like Apple software.

evnow said:
RonDawg said:
VW's CarNet app makes CarWings feel like Apple software.
If you have used iTunes you have to wonder whether your comparison is a hgood thing or bad.

I have, and at least on the Mac platform it isn't bad.

Imagine if NIssan made you set the charge timers via CarWings. Or won't let you run heat or A/C in the car while you're charging, unless you turn it on "remotely" via CarWings. And then programs it badly, so that it doesn't work much of the time. That's VW CarNet, at least on the eGolf.

Nissan continues to rake in the cash:

Nissan Turns $1.6B Q3 Profit

Automaker sees earnings rise 24% during quarter.

...Officials confirmed the company expects to meet its financial forecasts for the year, including revenue of $102.6 billion and operating profit of $6.1 billion...
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2016/02/nissan-turns-1-6b-q3-profit/

Good news that ICEV sales are so profitable, since I believe it's likely Nissan is going to have to subsidize its BEV sales in the USA, for some time to come.

Gas prices fell below $2 a gallon in (high-priced) North California last week, for the first time since...2004?

Another report today of a possible sale by Nissan of its AESC interest:

Nissan in talks to divest stake in EV battery business, report says

TOKYO -- Nissan Motor Co. is discussing with Panasonic Corp. and overseas companies, including Chinese firms, the possible sale of its controlling stake in a car battery manufacturing venture, the Nikkei daily reported on Friday.

The Japanese automaker wants to sell its 51 percent stake in Automotive Energy Supply Corp., which is jointly owned by NEC Corp., because it would be cheaper to buy batteries for electric vehicles such as the Leaf from other producers, the newspaper reported, without saying where it obtained the information.

The report "is speculation, and is not based on any announcement by us", Nissan said in a statement. Spokesmen for Panasonic and NEC declined to comment...
http://www.autonews.com/article/20160805/OEM/160809861/nissan-in-talks-to-divest-stake-in-ev-battery-business-report-says

“Today’s reporting on Nissan and its battery business is speculation,” said Nissan spokesman Nicholas Maxfield today, reacting to a Nikkei report that Nissan may want to spin off its battery making operations...

That Nissan would sell its far-flung battery making ventures is an old standby in the reporting business. Two years ago, Reuters reported that “Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn is preparing to cut battery manufacturing,” and that Nissan would buy the batteries from LG Chem instead. That didn’t happen, even if it sounds like a good idea...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmitt/2016/08/05/nissan-to-spin-off-its-battery-business-speculation-says-nissan/#64260bb4f5fa

Note that the battery plant in the US is owned and operated by Nissan, even though they are building batteries based on AESC technology. I believe the same is true in Great Britain, as well.

Given that, I wonder what Nissan would do with those two plants if they sold their stake in AESC.

Nissan's biggest announcement from the Paris Auto show is the new micra, which seems somewhat over-hyped in the title of the video below:

Nissan at Paris Motor Show 2016 - A revolution is coming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5euBsytg-A

However, other reports suggest a new Nissan in the same class might be revolutionary in that it will be a BEV:

Nissan plans new electric supermini to sit under the Leaf

Nissan’s new electric small car set to follow the next Leaf and could share tech with the Renault ZOE

Nissan is weighing up its options as to how it will expand its range of pure electric vehicles, with a Ford Fiesta-sized model lined up to join the Nissan Leaf, according to a senior company source...

...he gave the strongest indication yet on what’s likely to get the green light, saying: “We’ve invested $5.4bn (£4.1bn) in electric cars such as the Leaf, so we need to ensure we’re satisfying as many types of customer as possible. In Europe, that could mean looking towards B-segment hatches [Ford Fiesta size] and SUVs or crossovers.” ...

If we look towards crossovers or the B-segment for the next car, those could make perfect sense.” Nissan has relatively straightforward options for an electric B-segment model, illustrated here in our exclusive image...
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan/97182/nissan-plans-new-electric-supermini-to-sit-under-the-leaf?utm_content=bufferfbe56&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

And perhaps, even offered for sale the USA?
Paris Motor Show: It's electric

...Nissan is weighing whether to sell its Micra in the U.S. after launching the subcompact hatchback in Canada in 2014. The latest-generation Micra will be bigger than the current model and gets a higher-quality interior to make it a better competitor to models such as the Ford Fiesta. It will look sportier, with a design influenced by the Sway concept unveiled at the 2015 Geneva show. Adding the Micra to Nissan's U.S. lineup may depend on how much Nissan thinks it will cannibalize its Versa sedan...
http://www.autonews.com/article/20160925/OEM03/309269996/paris-motor-show-its-electric

Carlos Ghosn to Hold Chairman Roles at Nissan and Mitsubishi

TOKYO— Nissan Motor Co. Chief Executive Carlos Ghosn is set to add Mitsubishi Motors Corp. chairman to his list of titles, according to people familiar with the matter...

Nissan has said it plans to complete the acquisition of the Mitsubishi stake by the end of the year, making the smaller auto maker part of a global alliance centered around Nissan and Renault SA. Mr. Ghosn is also chief executive of Renault...

The share price of Mitsubishi Motors rose 7.85% on Wednesday to 525 yen, its highest closing since June 23, as investors welcomed the news, earlier reported by Japan’s Nikkei newspaper, that Mr. Ghosn would take a central role in guiding the auto maker’s recovery.

The Renault-Nissan model is being mimicked by other auto makers eager to share development costs as sales growth slows around the world. Toyota Motor Corp. and Suzuki Motor Corp. last week said they were starting talks on a partnership that would share costs for developing new automotive technologies like self-driving vehicles...
http://www.wsj.com/articles/mitsubishi-motors-cuts-sales-forecast-1476863524

TALK FROM THE TOP

NISSAN'S GHOSN: CEO already plotting next targets

...How do you expect to amplify Nissan's EV lineup through 2020?

Volume is going to depend more on government than on us because the EV market is going to be driven mainly by emissions regulations.

You're going to see the EVs getting into the bigger segments of the market. I would not be surprised to see EVs going into crossovers. I wouldn't be surprised to see EVs moving into segments like SUVs. You're going to see EVs everywhere, little by little.

Will Nissan be in those additional segments by 2020?

Without any doubt, we will be present in many segments on the market.

But you'll have more than the Leaf and the new Note e-Power, just released in Japan?

Without any doubt. I can tell you there will be many more...
http://www.autonews.com/article/20161031/OEM08/310319995/nissans-ghosn-ceo-already-plotting-next-targets?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+autonews%2FBreakingNews+%28Automotive+News+Breaking+News+Feed%29

edatoakrun said:
Volume is going to depend more on government than on us because the EV market is going to be driven mainly by emissions regulations.
You're going to see the EVs getting into the bigger segments of the market. I would not be surprised to see EVs going into crossovers. I wouldn't be surprised to see EVs moving into segments like SUVs. You're going to see EVs everywhere, little by little.

Translation:
We still consider the Leaf and BEVs to be compliance cars.

We likely will make a PHEV or BEV compliance SUV to sell in CARB states, as necessary.

At least, that's how I read that. :?

Durandal said:
edatoakrun said:

Translation:

We likely will make a PHEV or BEV compliance SUV to sell in CARB states, as necessary.

what would prefer Nissan to say

Government support is not necessary.

because there is a particular way bureaucrats will interpret that

particularly those in the treasury and tax department

ydnas7 said:
Durandal said:
edatoakrun said:

Translation:

what would prefer Nissan to say

Government support is not necessary.

because there is a particular way bureaucrats will interpret that

particularly those in the treasury and tax department

I'd prefer they say something like... "we are going to build the worlds best car, that happens to be electric...". Or something like that.

Notice that all the vehicles in the photo on the front page are BEVs:

ALLIANCE FACTS & FIGURES 2017

Sustained Leadership in Electric Vehicles:

The Renault-Nissan Alliance, with Mitsubishi Motors, cumulatively sold 424,797 electric
vehicles through 2016, making it the undisputed leader in zero-emission mobility.
The Nissan LEAF remains the world’s best-selling EV with more than 250,000 (including
Venucia E30 sales in China) vehicles sold since its launch in December 2010. In addition
to the LEAF, Nissan also sells the e-NV200, a light commercial vehicle sold mainly in Europe
and Japan since 2014.
Since 2011 Renault has sold more than 112,000 electric vehicles worldwide, with Renault
ZOE, Kangoo Z.E., Fluence Z.E., the SM3 Z.E. and the Twizy. Renault Pro+ recently
announced the addition of two new commercial EVs to its lineup: the New Kangoo Z.E.
and Master Z.E.
In 2016, the Alliance, including Mitsubishi Motors i-Miev series, sold 94,265 EVs, up more
than 8% from 2015...
http://nissannews.com/media_storage/images/facts_figures_2017_gb.pdf

C.G. said that, not me.

Try to get your quotes attributed correctly, please.

Whether you are the first to make the mistake, the second, or the third...

Durandal said:
edatoakrun said:

Translation:

Back