$529 Million for Fiskers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjfotos

$529 million for Fiskers.....it almost makes one cry to think of the number of public charging stations that could be built.....plus, this poor thing is DOA

http://industry.bnet.com/auto/10004721/fiskers-good-karma-529-million-in-federal-money/

sjfotos said:
$529 million for Fiskers.....it almost makes one cry to think of the number of public charging stations that could be built.....plus, this poor thing is DOA

Hmmm .... this is a loan, not a grant.

At 4:34 p.m. on Friday afternoon, Fisker Automotive forwarded me the official announcement that the Department of Energy has closed its $528.7 million loan, which will create “over 2,000 jobs.”

Loans are given in chunks depending on the progress. I don't see a problem with this. How much are we spending on wars, again ?

BTW, this month's Popular Science has an article on and interview with Fikar.

Oh yes, I do not disagree that our overall priorities are skewed. I am just looking ahead and knowing that this 'loan' is as DOA as the company is. Perhaps we will get a part of the monies back if someone buys out the name, the staff, or the technology. Unfortunately, I think this loan will be written off entirely.

sjfotos said:
Oh yes, I do not disagree that our overall priorities are skewed. I am just looking ahead and knowing that this 'loan' is as DOA as the company is. Perhaps we will get a part of the monies back if someone buys out the name, the staff, or the technology. Unfortunately, I think this loan will be written off entirely.

But why do you think the company is DOA ?

There is definitely a niche market for expensive high performance hybrids. And they want to make less expensive ones as well. I look at fiskar as the PHEV version of Tesla.

I try not to be so negative, but having directly witnessed both several start-up companies, and the supply side of the automotive industry, I think of all the obstacles. There is a niche market for some of these folks for a limited amount of time. The ongoing development costs and support costs, etc. just wear these efforts down. I don't doubt that there are some opportunities for some amount of time, but I am very skeptical about anything lasting more than 5 years (including Tesla). It won't be the first or last time I have been wrong if they are successful, but I always think conviction is measured by money and a DOE loan is a necessary, but not sufficient amount, of evidence for that.

Back