Eskimos ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

rainnw said:
garygid said:
The eskimos have MANY words for different kinds of snow. That does not make their words incorrect, even though we might not totally "grok" them.

Well, not really. Thats a bit of a misconception. :D You can probably find more descriptions of snow in english.

And they don't want to be called eskimos.

derkraut said:
"And they don't want to be called eskimos." Uh..what should we call them? "Northern Americans"?? :?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo

In Canada and Greenland, the term Eskimo has fallen out of favour, as it is considered pejorative by the natives and has been replaced by the term Inuit. The Canadian Constitution Act of 1982, sections 25 and 35 recognized the Inuit as a distinctive group of aboriginal peoples in Canada.

See this article which argues for continued use of colonial names though ...

http://www.isteve.com/2002_Name_Game_Inuit_or_Eskimo.htm

Well if the Canadian aboriginals had a proper language and a script, then I would make an effort to learn that stuff. But they don't and it is their loss. I will call them the way I feel most comfortable. I wish they would stop imposing their values on the rest of us.

evnow said:
rainnw said:
garygid said:
The eskimos have MANY words for different kinds of snow. That does not make their words incorrect, even though we might not totally "grok" them.

Well, not really. Thats a bit of a misconception. :D You can probably find more descriptions of snow in english.

And they don't want to be called eskimos.

In Alaska, Eskimo is not offensive....its warmly embraced...even the cutesy pop culture eskimo stuff.

but just be sure you don't confuse Native American/Indian/Athebascan with Eskimo/Inupiaq ... my mother-in-law goes bizurk so i am very careful :lol:

rainnw said:
In Alaska, Eskimo is not offensive....its warmly embraced...even the cutesy pop culture eskimo stuff.

From what I read - non-Inuits like the broader Eskimo term, but not Inuits.

but just be sure you don't confuse Native American/Indian/Athebascan with Eskimo/Inupiaq ... my mother-in-law goes bizurk so i am very careful :lol:

I'd just call them native Alaskans. BTW, why are they not Native Americans ?

Interleaf said:
Well if the Canadian aboriginals had a proper language and a script, then I would make an effort to learn that stuff.
That is bigotted, medievel thinking.

BTW, last time I checked English doesn't have its own script :lol:

Back