Speed limits ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

Driving in lane #2, I can often just maintain a good, safe distance in back of the car in front, and make almost NO lane chanes. Yes, driving at "traffic" speed (often the speed limit + 5 mph), other cars will pass me on both sides and some will swerve into the "open" space in front of me. But, normally, safe, steady driving.

The right lane "hazards":
1. those abruptly cutting across several lanes to get to an exit they almost missed.
2. faster big trucks cutting back in front of you.
3. very poor view of signs and traffic conditions ahead due to large trucks in front and to your left.
4. exiting cars slowing abruptly in front of you
5. entering cars trying to merge, sometimes without looking, at both faster and slower speeds often causes extra braking

All of things combined cause perhaps 10 more potential-collision "interactions" per mile than when driving steadily in lane #2 (of 4). I think, better to not put me, my passengers, and my car in the more-hazardous situation, if at all possible.

So, that usually requires going a bit faster and staying out of the "death" lane.

around here in the heavy traffic areas there is usually 4 lanes so the right center lane is where i travel mostly. if i am in the right lane and traffic is merging i slow down to let them in anticipating that they will be moving much slower than me. if i see a long line merging i will move over.

the issues with possible hazards you mention; around here there is no lane immune to that. the biggest problem we have is

1) differences in speed of vehicles THAT are not in the right lanes. frequently there will be people in the left lanes traveling at or below the posted speed limit. they are usually...well i will forgo the categorization here as we all have seen what i speak of. it just seems like it happens here MUCH more than it does in So Cal and probably because we dont have as many lanes to choose from.

this situation is rare when near Seattle where there are 5 or 6 lanes. but average speeds are higher there but again, there are at least 2 lanes driving the speed limit so have no issues there either.

2) impatient drivers, road rage or whatever you want to call it. nearly every day, i see people who are driving 65-70 mph. and THE ONLY WAY they can do it is unsafe lane changing, tailgaiting, reducing following distances. in those situations i have found that increasing my speed to 65-70 mph only allowed them to continue their ways at 70-75 mph.

all in all. we can continue to justify our actions or realize that we have pretty much been F*** Ups up to this point and its simply time to change.

garygid said:
Driving in lane #2, I can often just maintain a good, safe distance in back of the car in front, and make almost NO lane chanes. Yes, driving at "traffic" speed (often the speed limit + 5 mph), other cars will pass me on both sides and some will swerve into the "open" space in front of me. But, normally, safe, steady driving.

1. those abruptly cutting across several lanes to get to an exit they almost missed.
3. very poor view of signs and traffic conditions ahead due to large trucks in front and to your left.
5. entering cars trying to merge, sometimes without looking, at both faster and slower speeds often causes extra braking

All of things combined cause perhaps 10 more potential-collision "interactions" per mile than when driving steadily in lane #2 (of 4). I think, better to not put me, my passengers, and my car in the more-hazardous situation, if at all possible.

So, that usually requires going a bit faster and staying out of the "death" lane.

Must be different there because I've been driving in the right lane here at 55-60mph for over 13 years, never had a problem. It's a very relaxing drive compared to the other lanes, whether it be lanes 1, 2, or 3 because the only 'slow' lane is the right lane. Most people here drive 70-75 in all the lanes (limit 65) except the far right. However, when I get my LEAF, I will be driving ALL the time in the HOV at 65-74 (except when the limit is 55, then will go 64).

Here, driving 65 in the HOV lane would (usually) ... gather a string of wanting-to-go-faster cars, vans, and "p-cup" trucks behind you.

And, here drivers without the required insurance (or even a license) are ... too common.

garygid said:
Here, driving 65 in the HOV lane would (usually) ... gather a string of wanting-to-go-faster cars, vans, and "p-cup" trucks behind you.

And, here drivers without the required insurance (or even a license) are ... too common.

ya we have that. the fastest lane is the lane next to HOV. people use it to shoot around slow cars. i have seen HOV'ers moving at 55 mph and LESS

LEAFfan said:
garygid said:

Must be different there because I've been driving in the right lane here at 55-60mph for over 13 years, never had a problem. It's a very relaxing drive compared to the other lanes, whether it be lanes 1, 2, or 3 because the only 'slow' lane is the right lane. Most people here drive 70-75 in all the lanes (limit 65) except the far right. However, when I get my LEAF, I will be driving ALL the time in the HOV at 65-74 (except when the limit is 55, then will go 64).

I don't understand why people deliberately break the law by speeding. I mean--it is the law, isn't it? Think of the millions of gallons of fuel wasted every day. I'd like to see more strict enforcement of speed limits, with hefty fines (maybe $50 for every mph over the posted limit).
I drive at or slightly below the speed limit---always have. I've spent many years driving freeways in Chicago, Los Angeles, now in San Diego. I haven't had a speeding ticket in over 40yrs. I always try to drive in the right lane, and have never encountered "road rage" or been "flipped off" by an irate motorist. I enjoy driving. It can/should be a relaxing experience. I drive a Prius, and will soon have the Leaf for my commuting needs.

Why are we always in such a hurry? We're all on the road to dying, anyway. :)

I may be late to the party, but I did see the Fox News interview and feel compelled to throw my two cents in.

First, the $7,500 is a tax CREDIT. A credit on what a tax paying american citizen would normally pay in taxes is credited. So individuals buying a Leaf aren't getting a check from Uncle Sam, they just are allowed to pay less in taxes. A subtle difference, but I don't like how they say that they are paying you, when that technically is not correct. They are just collecting less from you.

Second, in response to the Fox News pundit emphasizing both the size of the $7,500 tax credit and the fact that Nissan is a foreign owned company. Each and every year, we give over $4 Billion dollars in tax breaks to Oil companies (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/business/04bptax.html). Including the likes of BP, which is of course foreign owned. So until we sale 533k Volts/Leafs a year with tax credit ($4B/$7,500) or we stop the oil company tax breaks, sit down and shut up.

Okay, I'm stepping down from my soap box.

DaveinOlyWA said:
ya we have that. the fastest lane is the lane next to HOV. people use it to shoot around slow cars. i have seen HOV'ers moving at 55 mph and LESS

If they drive less than 55 and the speed limit is 55, they would be open to a ticket here for 'impeding traffic'. However, if the speed limit is 65 here and you go an actual 65 (remember, most people's speedo is fast by 1-5mph), you are legal, no matter if you have cars behind you. They can always go into the 'speed lanes' if they want to pass.

LEAFfan said:
If they drive less than 55 and the speed limit is 55, they would be open to a ticket here for 'impeding traffic'.
Only if you are on the left lane.

IIRC, the rule (may be slightly different in different states) is that noone should travel in the left lane. It should be left for overtaking. On the right lanes - you should not travel below the posted minimum speeds. There may be different rules for roads with just 2 lanes (one each way).

Can someone dig up the actual rule in CA ....

derkraut said:
I don't understand why people deliberately break the law by speeding. I mean--it is the law, isn't it? Think of the millions of gallons of fuel wasted every day. I'd like to see more strict enforcement of speed limits, with hefty fines (maybe $50 for every mph over the posted limit).
I drive at or slightly below the speed limit---always have. I've spent many years driving freeways in Chicago, Los Angeles, now in San Diego. I haven't had a speeding ticket in over 40yrs. I always try to drive in the right lane, and have never encountered "road rage" or been "flipped off" by an irate motorist. I enjoy driving. It can/should be a relaxing experience. I drive a Prius, and will soon have the Leaf for my commuting needs.

Why are we always in such a hurry? We're all on the road to dying, anyway. :)

Here, all the photo radars are set for '11mph' over the limit except school zones. However, I've only seen one ticket for ten over...very rare. When I first moved here, I noticed how fast everyone was driving compared to the Midwest. So I followed some police cars and almost every one of them drove 9mph over the limit. They are breaking the law too unless they are going to a call. They also rarely use their turn signals to change lanes or turn. That's also against the law. Do you derkraut ALWAYS use your turn signals (changing lanes or when turning...I do.)? Do you always stop COMPLETELY at a stop sign? Do you use the 'suicide' (middle) lanes and pass the 'broken yellow line' areas while in them? Have you changed lanes less than 100 feet driving through an intersection? These are all illegal here, not sure about your state. Driving 5-9 miles over the speed limit on freeways here is very safe, and your chances of receiving a ticket are slim to none, and Slim left town.

evnow said:
LEAFfan said:
If they drive less than 55 and the speed limit is 55, they would be open to a ticket here for 'impeding traffic'.
Only if you are on the left lane.

IIRC, the rule (may be slightly different in different states) is that noone should travel in the left lane. It should be left for overtaking. On the right lanes - you should not travel below the posted minimum speeds. There may be different rules for roads with just 2 lanes (one each way).

He was talking about the HOV lane evnow. That's what I was telling him. If someone drives in the HOV lane and they are driving under the speed limit, yes, they can be ticketed for impeding traffic here.

LEAFfan said:

Not necessarily true; There is sometimes a posted minimum speed for highways. For example, 55/40 or 65/45. AFAIK these posted speeds are applicable to all lanes.

superstock1566360025.jpg

Probably more common than you think, especially if the highway has a "service road" or similar alternate path running parallel to it where you could travel at lower speeds.
=Smidge=

evnow said:

Here, there are no posted minimums, so it is perfectly legal to drive slower than the posted limit in the far right lane. That's the only lane here that has any degree of sanity except for the HOV.

Smidge204 said:
LEAFfan said:

Not necessarily true; There is sometimes a posted minimum speed for highways. For example, 55/40 or 65/45. AFAIK these posted speeds are applicable to all lanes.

superstock1566360025.jpg

Probably more common than you think, especially if the highway has a "service road" or similar alternate path running parallel to it where you could travel at lower speeds.
=Smidge=

Again, I'm saying HERE. I have no idea about other states. We have NO posted minimums.

My philosophy is pretty simple: If you don't want to go at least as fast as the fastest traffic in the other lanes, get out of the HOV lane!

Also, one thing I have not seen mentioned is that the right-most lanes tend to be in the worst shape due to truck usage. I avoid them for this reason alone, if no other...

I'm not hyper-miler material and have no interest in being so; I'll drive enthusiastically as I always have...

DaveinOlyWA said:

Smidge204 said:
LEAFfan said:

superstock1566360025.jpg

=Smidge=
Just over that rise there is another sign that says slower traffic keep right. This creates the impeding traffic violation. Nothing wrong with 45 on that road but you probably want to keep in the right lane.

This begs the question for me that if all feel OK going 5 or 10 over.... is the same leaway given to allow 5 or 10 under the minimum?
Why is 10 over the max considered safe and 10 under the minimum is a death wish?
Or even 10 under the legal limit is often considered unsafe :roll:

mogur said:
My philosophy is pretty simple: If you don't want to go at least as fast as the fastest traffic in the other lanes, get out of the HOV lane!

Mine is too. If someone wants to go over the speed limit in the HOV, they should use the 'fast' lane next to the HOV. The HOV lane is NOT a speed lane as some people believe. It's there to help with the pollution and congestion by either carpooling or having an AFV.

LEAFfan said:
mogur said:

Mine is too. If someone wants to go over the speed limit in the HOV, they should use the 'fast' lane next to the HOV. The HOV lane is NOT a speed lane as some people believe. It's there to help with the pollution and congestion by either carpooling or having an AFV.

Thanks LeafFan; I couldn't have said it any better. I believe it is ludicrous to require me to break the law (by speeding) in order to use the HOV lanes. :roll:

BTW: I'm not perfect; so I sometimes fail to signal before turning, don't come to a complete stop @ a stop sign, etc, etc. But I don't do so DELIBERATELY. I take issue with drivers who constantly, DELIBERATELY break the law by speeding, weaving across lanes, tailgate, etc.

Typically 10 mph under the speed limit is legal as long as you stay right.

On a single lane road you are legally required to pull over as soon as it's safe if holding up 5+ vehicles.

In CA, here is the law regarding minimum speed.
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22400.htm

Discussion regarding the passing/pullover law on single-lane roads:
http://www.bestattorney.com/california-motor-vehicle-code/slow-moving-vehicle-turnouts-21656.html

Back