GRA

Re: Volkswagen Group Massive Emissions Fraud Scheme

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Via ABG:
We talk with the lawyer holding VW's stinky diesel feet to the fire
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/19/vw-d ... raser-q-a/
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:38 pm

Via GCC:
Volkswagen, VW-branded franchise dealers in US reach agreement in principle to resolve diesel litigation
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/08 ... 25-vw.html

. . . Volkswagen has agreed to make cash payments and provide additional benefits to the dealers to resolve alleged past, current and future claims of losses in franchise value. Volkswagen and the dealers’ counsel will now work to finalize details of the proposed settlement, including how to apportion payments to dealers in the appropriate manner. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

GRA

Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:52 pm

Via GCR:
First Volkswagen engineer pleads guilty to diesel emission fraud
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/110 ... sion-fraud

. . . The engineer, James Liang, entered his plea in Detroit federal court Friday, his lawyer saying that Liang was "one of many at Volkswagen" involved in the fraud. He spent 25 years working for Volkswagen in Wolfsburg, Germany, before moving to the U.S. in 2008 to become the company's U.S. head of "Diesel Competence."

Liang is cooperating with the emissions probe, which should put more pressure on higher-level VW officials, according to Bloomberg. . . .

"I know VW did not disclose the defeat device to U.S. regulators in order to sell cars in the U.S.," Liang told a judge Friday. . . .

Even after VW deployed the "defeat device" without attracting attention from regulators, engineers faced another issue in keeping the illegal software a secret. At one point, warranty claims related to emissions-control systems began to rise. Some of Liang's colleagues believed this was related to cars operating in the low-emission mode meant only for laboratory tests. So in 2014 the engineers updated the software, issuing a service campaign and telling customers it was for something unrelated.

Liang pleaded guilty to a charge of conspiracy to commit fraud against U.S. regulators and Volkswagen customers, and to violate the Clean Air Act. He faces a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000, or twice the gross gain or loss. Liang is to be sentenced January 11, 2017.

As he's cooperating and the Justice Department is undoubtedly aiming at bigger fish, any bets on what he'll get? I'll ante: Six months in jail with three months suspended, 1,000 hours of community service, and a full value fine.

Also GCR:
Study suggests every European diesel maker cheated on EU tests
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/110 ... n-eu-tests

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:00 am

There's a lot of innen Fußball in this report on who knew what and when at VW Audi.

But there are suggestions that most all of the senior executives at VW/Audi knew, and very early on...
Audi, "The Mother Of All Dieselgate Cheating," Keeps Its Oblivious CEO Rupert Stadler

...As early as 2007, said Sueddeutsche, an Audi engineer wrote an email to “a large circle of managers of the automaker,” stating that “without cheating” the strict U.S. rules for hazardous nitrous oxides could not be met. Actually, the engineer used the robust language common in Bavaria, and wrote that he could not comply with rules “ohne Bescheissen,” literally “without shitting” the regulator...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmi ... df352f1fb6
no condition is permanent

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:03 am

Bertel Schmitt summarizes the news from Deutschland, as the action heated up last week due to an impending legal deadline:

Winterkorn Behind Dieselgate Coverup, New Docs Suggest

... In recent days, German courts have been flooded with lawsuits by investors who claim they lost billions when the company’s shares crashed. To beat a one year statute of limitations, “fax machines overheated” at German courts a week ago, Bloomberg said. One German law firm delivered more than 5,000 complaints by truck. The claimants allege that Volkswagen violated the “ad-hoc” rule requiring the speedy release of findings that might impact the value of a company’s shares...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmi ... 45ee8c6da7
no condition is permanent

GRA

Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:53 pm

Via GCC:
Federal judge grants final approval to Volkswagen 2.0L TDI settlement in US
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/10 ... 25-vw.html

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:26 am

LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:19 pm

I LOLed at this.
Disgruntled Diesel VW Owners Are Stripping Their Cars Before Turning Them In
http://jalopnik.com/disgruntled-diesel- ... 1790053005

If I were in this situation and it's apparently allowed, I'd probably do this too. Could earn a little extra cash on the side.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

LTLFTcomposite

Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:45 pm

cwerdna wrote:I LOLed at this.
Disgruntled Diesel VW Owners Are Stripping Their Cars Before Turning Them In
http://jalopnik.com/disgruntled-diesel- ... 1790053005

If I were in this situation and it's apparently allowed, I'd probably do this too. Could earn a little extra cash on the side.

That's hilarious. A co-worker of mine has one, we talked about this. A lot of parts are going to be useless on other cars, and clearly draining newer oil and putting in old oil is a silly waste of time and effort, but nice wheels and tires in good shape are a no brainer. And minor collision damage? Fuggedaboutit.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra

LTLFTcomposite

Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:55 pm

This makes it even more interesting:
According to the buyback terms specified in the EPA’s Consent Decree, the only requirement related to vehicle condition is that the car has to be “operable,” a word defined by the court as:

“Operable” means that a vehicle so described can be driven under its own 2.0-liter TDI engine power. A vehicle is not Operable if it had a branded title of “Assembled,” “Dismantled,” “Flood,” “Junk,” “Rebuilt,” “Reconstructed,” or “Salvaged” as of September 18, 2015, and was acquired by any person or entity from a junkyard or salvaged after September 18, 2015.

The way I read that I just has to move under its own power and didn't have any of those title "brandings" on that date.
LTL

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”