GRA

Re: Volkswagen Group Massive Emissions Fraud Scheme

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Via ABG:
Audi fined $925 million in Germany for dieselgate scandal
Audi's former CEO, meanwhile, remains in jail
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/16/audi-fined-925-million-diesel-scandal/

. . . The prosecutors' statement said the resolution of the case did not affect a related investigation of individuals. Former Audi CEO Rupert Stadler remains in jail while prosecutors investigate individual involvement in the diesel scandal. Volkswagen has paid more than $30 billion in fines, settlements and recall costs since the scandal broke. Former CEO Martin Winterkorn and other executives face criminal charges in the United States, though they cannot legally be extradited. Two Volkswagen executives were sent to prison in the U.S.

Prosecutors said the failure of proper corporate oversight by Audi AG enabled deliberate wrongdoing by individuals. It said 5 million euros of the fine was imposed for the oversight failure and 795 million represented Audi's forfeiture of economic gains from the violation, including profits from selling the cars, competitive advantages, and savings on the costs of producing vehicles that actually would have conformed to legal requirements.

Audi said it would not contest the fine. It said the amount would mean that the division would "significantly undercut" its financial targets for the current year. "Audi accepts the fine and, by doing so, admits its responsibility," the company said in a statement.

A similar 1 billion-euro fine was imposed on Volkswagen by prosecutors in Braunschweig in June.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

DarthPuppy
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:28 pm

I didn't seriously think the German government would hold a German company accountable beyond a wrist slap. But I guess when there is money to be moved from corporate pockets to politician pockets, there can be more resolve. Sad they are getting off with simply writing a check. The article doesn't mention anything about addressing those vehicles that are running around and polluting the environment or compensating the customers who bought them thinking they were clean diesels. There is the reference to VW's recall costs, but that is probably the US recall in that number. Correct me if there has been a required EU recall.

But hey, looks like the German gov't has a nice new large slush fund to play with. I like how the journalism glossed over where that money will be going and who will be deciding its use.
'13 Leaf SL
'18 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:41 am

DarthPuppy wrote:I didn't seriously think the German government would hold a German company accountable beyond a wrist slap. But I guess when there is money to be moved from corporate pockets to politician pockets, there can be more resolve. Sad they are getting off with simply writing a check. The article doesn't mention anything about addressing those vehicles that are running around and polluting the environment or compensating the customers who bought them thinking they were clean diesels. There is the reference to VW's recall costs, but that is probably the US recall in that number. Correct me if there has been a required EU recall.

But hey, looks like the German gov't has a nice new large slush fund to play with. I like how the journalism glossed over where that money will be going and who will be deciding its use.

Ya. It's sad we live in a society where "crime and punishment" means "let the government decide on how to make and use money." I agree that if a company like VW does something wrong they should right their wrong, fix their mistake, make things right. Governments should make money on taxes. Fines should be used to fund making things right. If I saw off your catalytic converter, would it make sense that I pay the government a hefty fine while you get nothing and your car still sits there without a catalytic converter?

But who knows. Maybe the German Government is going to use that money for something ecological.
2013 SL SOLD :cry:
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid CURRENT

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:31 am

If I saw off your catalytic converter, would it make sense that I pay the government a hefty fine while you get nothing and your car still sits there without a catalytic converter?

That is pretty much how it works unless restitution is part of a plea deal.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:02 pm

IIRR VW has already fixed the cars in Europe, as the emissions standards there were lower than in the U.S. so it was easier and cheaper to do. Compensation isn't on offer, and the EU commission recently announced tougher rules to make compensation easier to get:
EU unveils new consumer protections after 'dieselgate' scandal
https://phys.org/news/2018-04-eu-unveils-consumer-dieselgate-scandal.html
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

DarthPuppy
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks for the update. Since I'm US focused, I wasn't aware they had fixed the cars in Europe.

I still think it dubious that the fines are going to the government without any indication on how the funds will be used or who will allocate their usage.
'13 Leaf SL
'18 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV

GRA

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:54 pm

Now Audis are getting recalled for the fixes. Via GCC:
With KBA approval, Audi to start recall of diesel models in Germany
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/11/20181113-audi.html

On Wednesday, Audi will begin the first of eight recalls for cars with V TDI engines in Germany. Following approval by the Federal Office for Motor Traffic (KBA) the company will initially be recalling around 31,200 vehicles to the workshops. In total, around 151,000 midsize and full-size cars in Germany are affected by the eight recall notices.

In the first wave, Audi A6 and Audi A7 Sportback models will be recalled into the workshops in Germany. This involves 31,200 vehicles powered by a 3.0 TDI engine with an output of 200 kW from the model years 2015 through 2018.

A software module will be removed from the engine management system as part of the recall. This update is free of charge for Audi customers and will not adversely affect fuel consumption, CO2 emission figures, engine output, maximum torque, noise emissions or the durability of the engine and the exhaust aftertreatment system. . . .

The other recalls will also start immediately as soon as they have been approved by the Federal Office for Motor Traffic.

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”