Buy American ... fuel

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

I just got criticized by a "friend" for being unpatriotic by buying Japanese, i.e. the Leaf. (He drives a Mercedes.. a little irony there). I see it the other way around: I'm buying American fuel, more specifically electric power generated here with American fuel (natural gas for those of us in California with a healthy dose of hydroelectric and maybe some solar or wind.) Gasoline buyers pay Saudis and Iranians and Hugo Chavez, among others. Also Nissan will be building the Leaf in Tennessee if I remember right, although I guess these first ones are coming from Oppama. Does anyone know the current status of that Smyrna plant?

TN plant under construction, planned to begin production sometime in 2012.

But, does anybody have a picture of the construction site, or an address or location to look at Google Maps?

garygid said:

But, does anybody have a picture of the construction site, or an address or location to look at Google Maps?
Nissan North America - Smyrna

I don't think it's a new factory, they are simply upgrading the existing one to be able to handle LEAF production. They will also produce the battery packs there as well.

drees said:
I don't think it's a new factory, they are simply upgrading the existing one to be able to handle LEAF production. They will also produce the battery packs there as well.

I thought the Smyrna plant was only going to make the batteries. They're going to make Leafs there, too?

garygid said:

http://wardsauto.com/ar/leaf_fit_smyrna_101029/

Rather than dedicating a line to the Leaf, Nissan will be weaving the EV into the mix with the Altima and Maxima gasoline-powered passenger cars currently built here.
Leaf production is set to get under way at Smryna in fall 2012. Nissan also will build the car at its Sunderland, U.K., plant starting in 2013.
Construction of the battery facility is in the early stages, with excavation already completed and footings now being poured.

garygid said:

The battery plant, which will cover 1.3 million sq ft, is located behind the assembly plant, where the old test track now sits. A new test track will be built as part of the expansion, a Nissan spokesman says.
“We will have a year of construction and a year of equipment trials” before full-scale production starts, says Mark Swenson, Nissan North America vice president of production.
source: http://southcentral.construction.co...ction_news/2010/0527_NissanBreaksGroundTN.asp

Bing Map showing test track area:
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=pz...r, Smyrna, TN 37167&q=nissan drive, smyrna tn

Google Map showing same area:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou....962446,-86.481199&spn=0.019139,0.040298&z=15

Nissan should cover the factory roof and the huge parking lots (look at the huge lots to the east of the plant on the other side of the train tracks used for staging vehicles for transport) with solar panels to run the factory. :)

Rat said:
I just got criticized by a "friend" for being unpatriotic by buying Japanese, i.e. the Leaf. (He drives a Mercedes.. a little irony there). I see it the other way around: I'm buying American fuel, more specifically electric power generated here with American fuel (natural gas for those of us in California with a healthy dose of hydroelectric and maybe some solar or wind.) Gasoline buyers pay Saudis and Iranians and Hugo Chavez, among others. Also Nissan will be building the Leaf in Tennessee if I remember right, although I guess these first ones are coming from Oppama. Does anyone know the current status of that Smyrna plant?

Rat, you are entirely correct. In addition, the next series will be produced in American anyway.....

I'd rather buy LEAFs forever from Japan than drums of oil from folks who, all things being equal, would prefer me deceased....

Rat said:
I just got criticized by a "friend" for being unpatriotic by buying Japanese, i.e. the Leaf. (He drives a Mercedes.. a little irony there).
Sad - noone has tried that on me yet :twisted:

Back