Self-heating batteries

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Lab results, via GCC:
Penn State team develops self-heating battery; addressing Li-ion energy loss in cold temperatures
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/01/20160121-acb.html

The battery is stated to self-warm from -20C to 0C in 20 sec using 3.8% of cell capacity, from -30C to 0C in 30 seconds using 5.5% of cell capacity. The company predicts they will be able to reduce the -20C to 0C warm up time to 5 seconds by 2017, with only 1% capacity usage.

This is of interest to me because it could enable a cold EV, parked for hours in a mountain resort area or community like mine, to have acceptable regenerative braking right from the get-go. Today, Tesla owners report that they can pre-warm their batteries, but this may take 15-30 minutes. It'd be nice to be able to jump right in a cold EV, with no advance notice, and head straight down the mountain without sacrificing regen. Of course, I don't see this as critical, because I pretty much always know more than 30 minutes ahead of time that I'll be heading down. (With our 2011 LEAF in the winter, the regen is pretty much always lousy, so we hate using the LEAF to descend the mountain as we have to stop multiple times to let the friction brakes cool.)

abasile said:
This is of interest to me because it could enable a cold EV, parked for hours in a mountain resort area or community like mine, to have acceptable regenerative breaking right from the get-go. Today, Tesla owners report that they can pre-warm their batteries, but this may take 15-30 minutes. It'd be nice to be able to jump right in a cold EV, with no advance notice, and head straight down the mountain without sacrificing regen. Of course, I don't see this as critical, because I pretty much always know more than 30 minutes ahead of time that I'll be heading down. (With our 2011 LEAF in the winter, the regen is pretty much always lousy, so we hate using the LEAF to descend the mountain as we have to stop multiple times to let the friction brakes cool.)
The other approach, which GM is apparently using in the Bolt (and I've been somewhat surprised no one else has yet) is to always leave some space in the battery for regen, above the maximum charge from the wall. While somewhat more expensive (as you need a bigger battery), this strikes me as necessary for mainstream customers, who shouldn't need to learn a bunch of special conditions and how they interrelate. Early adopters are willing to put up with this sort of thing, but the mainstream should be able to just get in and drive the car and have it act exactly the same.

I think with the Volt and now the Bolt, GM has been showing just how good their engineering staff can be, when the bean counters are held at bay.

GRA said:
The other approach, which GM is apparently using in the Bolt (and I've been somewhat surprised no one else has yet) is to always leave some space in the battery for regen, above the maximum charge from the wall.
That won't really solve the mountain descent problem, as we see regen limitations due to the cold and/or long descents even when the battery is well below full charge, even at 50% charge and below.

It will, however, enable everyday drivers to charge to "full" without worrying about a lack of regen or leaving the battery at a high state of charge. A more transparent way to accomplish this is to charge to 80% or 90% by default, and require the driver to enable a "range mode" to access the top of the battery. Many will prefer the more transparent approach (which Tesla Motors employs, I believe).

This belongs in the future batteries thread with all the other lab work an d press releases that are "just around the corner:":)

abasile said:
GRA said:
The other approach, which GM is apparently using in the Bolt (and I've been somewhat surprised no one else has yet) is to always leave some space in the battery for regen, above the maximum charge from the wall.
That won't really solve the mountain descent problem, as we see regen limitations due to the cold and/or long descents even when the battery is well below full charge, even at 50% charge and below.

It will, however, enable everyday drivers to charge to "full" without worrying about a lack of regen or leaving the battery at a high state of charge. A more transparent way to accomplish this is to charge to 80% or 90% by default, and require the driver to enable a "range mode" to access the top of the battery. Many will prefer the more transparent approach (which Tesla Motors employs, I believe).
Delayed reply, due to being up in the Yosemite backcountry from Saturday evening until yesterday on an annual trip (since 1980): http://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/Yosemite-Cozy-Ostrander-Hut-worth-the-work-3229654.php#photo-2372264

https://www.google.com/search?q=ostrander+hut+images&rlz=1CASMAD_enUS677US677&biw=1280&bih=689&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwie8fjWw83KAhVI6GMKHb_qBl8QsAQIGw#imgrc=QLGGpG_ia2DDlM%3A

Done correctly, i.e. with battery heating, I think it will handle cold weather regen limitations (there shouldn't be any - you should always be able to charge to exactly the same capacity in kWh, controlled by the BMS) and mountain descents. I think that issue is primarily restricted to cars like the LEAF that lack battery heating.

You need to have enough extra capacity on tap to handle some or all mountain descents; how much is appropriate will likely be a source of differentiation between manufacturers and/or models, as the more excess capacity you hold for regen, the more expensive the battery. The people who live in Flatland won't need as much as those who regularly make the descent from Lake Tahoe to the Bay Area, or Vail to Denver. Maybe it will be an option, sort of like a tow package. Those who know they'll need it will choose to pay extra.

Re the use of 'range charge', I don't think that's the way to go for the mass market, which is always lowest common denominator. It's too geeky, and requires knowledge of which conditions are appropriate for its use. Considering that even here, where the average person is far more interested in the technical details, we regularly get questions from both newbies and even some long-time members that could easily be answered by consulting the owner's manual, it's pretty clear that the average person just isn't willing to devote any time/energy to learning specific operating information.

IMO, anything intended for mass market acceptance has to be usable by the brain-dead, requiring the absolute minimum of special knowledge. I was flabbergasted to learn that a friend of mine, who grew up driving backhoes and concrete mixers with manual transmissions, had no idea that the '3', '2' and '1' settings on the transmission selector in his 4Runner could be used to provide compression braking for hill descents - he'd never used anything other than 'D'. I expect that 'L' and the extra regen button in the 2016 Volt and similar cars would go largely unused by the mass market, at least until a whole generation of users has grown up with them. This argues for one-pedal implementation (all regen on the accelerator, brake pedal only for friction brakes) ala' Tesla/BMW, but I think the feel of that is just too weird, for now at least, for mass market customers who typically make their buying decision based only on a short test drive; it will turn them off. Those of us who prefer more control over the car's functions will want to be given as many driver-customizable options as possible (at a minimum, I want several levels of regen varying from none to max, akin to the gears in my manual transmission).

So, I think that we need the options for those of us who are more interested in getting the most out of our vehicles, but as much of the full functionality as possible should be included without any need to change settings or learn anything more than how to turn the car on, make it move forwards or backwards, and how to plug it in.

The simplest solution (ok, simple in my head, maybe not in real life) for the regen problem, is to not mess with battery capacity limitations, but find a way to convert regen to heat (when there is no batt capacity available for regen), and then dump the heat via cooling system. This way, regen "braking" would always work, no matter the temperature or battery capacity. This is not as efficient of course, because you "lose" the regeneration when the battery is already topped off, but I think the mainstream user would prefer this, in that they would not even know it was happening, just that their driving experience is always the same every time they get in the car, and their maximum range is available when charged fully.

GRA said:
So, I think that we need the options for those of us who are more interested in getting the most out of our vehicles, but as much of the full functionality as possible should be included without any need to change settings or learn anything more than how to turn the car on, make it move forwards or backwards, and how to plug it in.
This strikes me as an argument for having the ability to do a "range charge", even if it's hidden behind some menus. People shouldn't generally need to use it, but those of us with more geeky tendencies can seek it out if desired.

I do agree that EVs need to be ready for use by the masses, which to me means that the "configuration defaults" need to be very familiar. But a great many EV buyers will continue to be tech-savvy and will want to be able to go into those menus and make the car behave exactly as they desire.

Firetruck41 said:
The simplest solution (ok, simple in my head, maybe not in real life) for the regen problem, is to not mess with battery capacity limitations, but find a way to convert regen to heat (when there is no batt capacity available for regen), and then dump the heat via cooling system. This way, regen "braking" would always work, no matter the temperature or battery capacity. This is not as efficient of course, because you "lose" the regeneration when the battery is already topped off, but I think the mainstream user would prefer this, in that they would not even know it was happening, just that their driving experience is always the same every time they get in the car, and their maximum range is available when charged fully.
Great suggestion. Some of that regen heat could even be used to warm the battery pack and the cabin in cold weather. :) That said, there might need to be limits on this, as the current Tesla HVAC system tops out at about 10 kW whereas Tesla regen can max out at 60 kW, I believe. Dumping 60 kW might be a tall order. But even if regen were limited to 15-20 kW on a cold battery or a full charge, that would still be useful and would represent less degradation of the user experience than what drivers experience today.

abasile said:
Firetruck41 said:
Great suggestion. Some of that regen heat could even be used to warm the battery pack and the cabin in cold weather. :) That said, there might need to be limits on this, as the current Tesla HVAC system tops out at about 10 kW whereas Tesla regen can max out at 60 kW, I believe. Dumping 60 kW might be a tall order. But even if regen were limited to 15-20 kW on a cold battery or a full charge, that would still be useful and would represent less degradation of the user experience than what drivers experience today.
One of the workarounds to maintain regen starting with a full battery in cold, while we wait for the automakers to figure it out, is to just turn on max. heat/defrost. Of course, that assumes that you'll have enough kWh left at the bottom of the descent to reach your destination.

GRA said:
One of the workarounds to maintain regen starting with a full battery in cold, while we wait for the automakers to figure it out, is to just turn on max. heat/defrost. Of course, that assumes that you'll have enough kWh left at the bottom of the descent to reach your destination.
It also assumes that the car's software is smart enough to increase regen when climate control is drawing power. Unfortunately, our 2011 LEAF won't do that. I've tried running the heater at full blast, and the regen still drops to zero while descending our mountain. :x

abasile said:
GRA said:
It also assumes that the car's software is smart enough to increase regen when climate control is drawing power. Unfortunately, our 2011 LEAF won't do that. I've tried running the heater at full blast, and the regen still drops to zero while descending our mountain. :x
Urk, what were they thinking? Actually, I guess they weren't.

Back