GRA

Re: Biofuels thread

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:29 pm

Both via GCC:
Neste collaborates with Genève Aéroport to offer renewable jet fuel; targeting 1% of annual fuel use from Geneva International
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/09/20170919-neste.html

. . . Neste and Genève Aéroport are partnering on the introduction of renewable jet fuel into aircraft operations from Geneva International Airport; the target will be at least 1% of the annual jet fuel consumption at Genève Aéroport starting late 2018. . . .

British Airways partners with Velocys on renewable jet fuel from household waste
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/09/20170919-velocy8s.html

British Airways has entered a partnership with Velocys to design a series of waste plants that convert household waste into renewable jet fuel to power its fleet.

The first plant will take hundreds of thousands of tonnes of household waste per-year, destined for landfill or incineration, including diapers, plastic food containers and chocolate bar wrappers, and convert it into clean-burning, sustainable fuels. This will contribute to the airline’s commitment to reduce net emissions by 50% by 2050. . . .

The planned plant will produce enough fuel to power all British Airways’ 787 Dreamliner operated flights from London to San Jose, California and New Orleans, Louisiana for a whole year. It would be the first plant of this scale. The airline plans to supply its aircraft fleet with increasing amounts of sustainable jet fuel in the next decade.

The jet fuel produced at the plant will deliver more than 60% greenhouse gas reduction, compared with conventional fossil fuel, delivering 60,000 tonnes of CO2 savings every year. This will contribute to both global carbon emissions reductions and local air quality improvements around major airports. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:35 pm

Via GCC:
Stuttgart Airport ground fleet vehicles fueled by Neste MY Renewable Diesel
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/09/20170921-neste.html

. . . All the ground fleet vehicles which are not electrified, such as the trucks of the airport fire department and winter service equipment, will be using Neste MY Renewable Diesel. . . .

Neste MY Renewable Diesel is a drop-in fuel which can be used to replace conventional fossil diesel without any modifications to the existing diesel engines or investments in storage or logistical systems.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

RegGuheert
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926

Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:21 am

GRA wrote:Both via GCC:
Neste collaborates with Genève Aéroport to offer renewable jet fuel; targeting 1% of annual fuel use from Geneva International
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/09/20170919-neste.html

. . . Neste and Genève Aéroport are partnering on the introduction of renewable jet fuel into aircraft operations from Geneva International Airport; the target will be at least 1% of the annual jet fuel consumption at Genève Aéroport starting late 2018. . . .

GRA wrote:Via GCC:
Stuttgart Airport ground fleet vehicles fueled by Neste MY Renewable Diesel
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/09/20170921-neste.html

. . . All the ground fleet vehicles which are not electrified, such as the trucks of the airport fire department and winter service equipment, will be using Neste MY Renewable Diesel. . . .

Neste MY Renewable Diesel is a drop-in fuel which can be used to replace conventional fossil diesel without any modifications to the existing diesel engines or investments in storage or logistical systems.
Everyone should be aware that Neste MY biodiesel emits 91% as much NOx and 67% as much particulate matter as normal diesel fuel. As such, it is not a solution to the pollution problems which are plaguing Europe.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
2011 miles at purchase. 10K miles on Apr 14, 2013. 20K miles (55.7Ah) on Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah) on Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah) on Feb 8, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

GRA

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:29 pm

Via GCC:
BHP and Goodfuels Marine to collaborate on biofuels pilot project in Singapore
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/09/20170925-mpa.html

With support from the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA), BHP and GoodFuels Marine have signed a Letter of Intent (LOI) to collaborate on a biofuels pilot project in Singapore, which is expected to be carried out early next year.

The LOI was signed during an MPA-organized inaugural closed-door biofuel roundtable in Singapore which discussed the use of biofuels as a sustainable alternative fuel for the future of shipping.

We are pleased to facilitate discussions on the biofuels front along with our partners, BHP and GoodFuels. The roundtable comes at an opportune time in light of the International Maritime Organization’s (IMO) 0.5% global sulfur cap on marine fuels which will come into effect from 2020, as well as IMO’s longer term plan to lower carbon emissions for shipping. MPA welcomes dialogues across stakeholders and will continue to work with relevant parties as we prepare the bunkering industry for the future.

—Andrew Tan, Chief Executive of MPA
As the largest bunkering hub in the world, Singapore is working towards providing cleaner alternative sources of fuel to cater to the future energy needs of the global shipping industry. Among the topics discussed at the roundtable included barriers to the use to biofuels and how these could be addressed. . . .

GoodFuels Marine develops and delivers sustainable biofuels for the maritime sector. GoodFuels’ products are drop-in replacements of fossil fuels. By utilizing GoodFuels’ advanced biofuels, the CO2-footprint can be reduced up to 90%. All GoodFuels’ products are produced from wastes and residues, and meet the most stringent sustainability criteria. . . .

GRA

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:49 pm

Via GCC:
Gevo to supply alcohol-to-jet fuel to Virgin Australia
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/10/20171004-gevo.html

. . . Gevo’s ATJ is expected to be blended with traditional jet fuel and supplied on flights departing Brisbane Airport, including Virgin Australia flights. It is currently contemplated that Gevo will ship the first gallons of ATJ to the Virgin Australia Group in October 2017.

Gevo will supply the ATJ from its hydrocarbon plant based in Silsbee, Texas. The ATJ is derived from isobutanol produced at its commercial isobutanol plant located in Luverne, Minnesota.

Isobutanol produced from starch or biomass is dehydrated over an acidic catalyst to produce isobutylene, which is then further reacted to product mixtures of longer chain aliphatic hydrocarbons. A portion of this material is reacted separately to form high density aromatic compounds.

Hydrogen gas, a byproduct of the aromatization reaction, is used to remove unsaturated bonds in the aliphatic material.

The hydrocarbons then are blended in proportions that can meet all ASTM standards for fuels: isooctane is a dimer of dehydrated isobutanol and is a major component of the premium value alkylates, a key gasoline component; a trimer of the isobutylene (dehydrated isobutanol) is a jet fuel blend stock; a polymer of four and five isobutylenes can make a diesel blend stock. . . .

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”