User avatar
RegGuheert
Posts: 5882
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Northern VA

Re: Biofuels thread

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:39 pm

GRA wrote:Via GCC:
First Qantas US-Australia biofuel flight; Carinata feedstock, Honeywell process
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/01/20180130-qantas.html

...
Across its lifecycle, using Carinata-derived biofuel can reduce carbon emissions by eighty percent compared to traditional jet fuel. The ten percent biofuel blend used on the flight will therefore see a seven percent reduction in emissions on this route compared to normal operations.
...
Hopefully they can and do use their own fuel to run the farm equipment. But I have to imagine the biggest part of this reduction must be due to the fact that Australia is an oil importer. As a result, fuel grown in Australia will not have to be transported nearly as far as fuel pumped out of the Middle East.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K miles: Apr 14, 2013, 20K miles (55.7Ah): Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah): Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah): Feb 8, 2017, 50K miles (47.2Ah): Dec 7, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

GRA
Posts: 7929
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Biofuels thread

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:49 pm

RegGuheert wrote:
GRA wrote:Via GCC:
First Qantas US-Australia biofuel flight; Carinata feedstock, Honeywell process
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/01/20180130-qantas.html

...
Across its lifecycle, using Carinata-derived biofuel can reduce carbon emissions by eighty percent compared to traditional jet fuel. The ten percent biofuel blend used on the flight will therefore see a seven percent reduction in emissions on this route compared to normal operations.
...
Hopefully they can and do use their own fuel to run the farm equipment. But I have to imagine the biggest part of this reduction must be due to the fact that Australia is an oil importer. As a result, fuel grown in Australia will not have to be transported nearly as far as fuel pumped out of the Middle East.

What this link says is that they get around half of their jet and other fuels from Japan andS. Korea http://www.resilience.org/stories/2017-08-21/almost-half-australias-petrol-diesel-jet-fuel-imports-come-south-korea-japan/ I'd think Indonesia/Malaysia would be the source of most of the oil whose refined products they get from Singapore, while the article says most of the Japan/S. Korean oil is sourced from the middle east.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA
Posts: 7929
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Biofuels thread

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:30 pm

Via GCC:
Western Contra Costa Transit Authority switches entire fleet to Neste MY Renewable Diesel
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/02/20180214-westcat.html

Western Contra Costa Transit Authority (WestCAT), a public transportation service in California, has switched their entire fleet of 45 heavy duty buses from operating on petroleum diesel to using only Neste MY Renewable Diesel.

    Following the success of our three-month trial of Neste MY Renewable Diesel, we have now converted our entire diesel fleet to operate on renewable diesel. We originally transitioned to Neste MY in response to our Board’s interest in reducing our environmental footprint. Changing to renewable diesel allowed us to immediately reduce emissions from our entire fleet, rather than making a series of small improvements as we replace vehicles one at a time.

    —said Charles Anderson, General Manager, WestCAT.

WestCAT has also observed significantly cleaner operation of their bus engines and a significant reduction in the maintenance needed for the emissions equipment and internal engine components.

WestCAT serves the cities of Pinole and Hercules, and unincorporated communities along the eastern edge of San Francisco Bay, operating a network of 14 fixed routes. WestCAT operates 365 days a year, serving more than 65,000 residents within a 20 square mile service area, and carries more than 1.3 million passengers annually. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

LCR
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:45 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2017
Location: Houston

Re: Biofuels thread

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:31 am

RegGuheert wrote:Instead of leveling forests and repurposing food-crop farmland to grow yet another monocrop, I recommend that we install PV panels on rooftops and provide for an equivalent amount of miles to be driven with significantly less environmental damage. What was that ratio again? 1/100 the area needed with PV to drive the same number of miles. No plowing, harvesting, processing. It just sits there for many DECADES making clean BEV fuel from the sun.

In other words, simply put a few PV panels on your roof and drive 12,000 miles/year every year for the next 30 years. Unlike biofuels, this approach works everywhere in the continental US plus Hawaii. Some southern areas can get by with about 4 PV panels and in the Pacific Northwest you might need 8 or 10. If all US homeowners did this (or more) we could replace massive amounts of fossil-fuel consumption.


Where do you live that 4 panels would provide any sort of fuel? Not counting charging losses a 320w 4 panel system would give you 1700kwh here in the south, even at 4 m/kwh that would be 6800 miles. My Leaf averages 3.6 and my Tesla closer to 3 m/kwh. Lets assume the highly optimistic 4 miles/kwh because it makes numbers easy. you'd need 3,000 kwh to drive your 12K miles, that would be a 2.5kW system here in Texas and 8 panels, twice what you think.

User avatar
RegGuheert
Posts: 5882
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Northern VA

Re: Biofuels thread

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:02 pm

LCR wrote:Where do you live that 4 panels would provide any sort of fuel? Not counting charging losses a 320w 4 panel system would give you 1700kwh here in the south, even at 4 m/kwh that would be 6800 miles. My Leaf averages 3.6 and my Tesla closer to 3 m/kwh. Lets assume the highly optimistic 4 miles/kwh because it makes numbers easy. you'd need 3,000 kwh to drive your 12K miles, that would be a 2.5kW system here in Texas and 8 panels, twice what you think.
I was an off-the-cuff estimate, but here's my math:

- The 235-Wp 60-cell panels on my roof each produce a third of a MWh of electricity each year. If I scale that by 6/5 which is the per-panel ratio of production I see with Tony Williams' system in San Diego versus mine and scale up to 325-Wp panels I come up with a per-panel annual production (AC) of about 550 kWh/year.

- Four of such panels will produce about 2.2 MWh/year.

- We get an efficiency of about 5 miles/kWh in our LEAF. (That's fairly high, but others here report higher numbers.) We know that L2 charging efficiency of the LEAF with the 3.6 kW charger was 91%. Since there is a fixed load of about 300 W for cooling pumps, I expect the efficiency of a 6.0 kW charger is closer to 95%. That gives about 4.75 miles/kWh.

- I'm going to assume the magic of net metering to allow me to use all of the AC energy that I produce on my roof.

2200 kWh * 4.75 miles/kWh = 10,450 miles.

I should have said five panels to cover 12,000 miles (or even 13,000 miles) with current technology.

But your point is taken: It is hot in places like Texas or Arizona, so PV production is likely lower. And of course driving styles and vehicle type do affect consumption. So YMMV.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K miles: Apr 14, 2013, 20K miles (55.7Ah): Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah): Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah): Feb 8, 2017, 50K miles (47.2Ah): Dec 7, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

LCR
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:45 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2017
Location: Houston

Re: Biofuels thread

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:44 pm

I see people post about 5-6 miles/kwh and I don't even see how that possible unless you never get on the highway.

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”