Chile is giving away solar energy, for free, because it has so much

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via GCR: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1104358_chile-is-giving-away-solar-energy-for-free-because-it-has-so-much

Chile has a problem with its solar industry. It's not that the industry can't meet electricity demand for the South American country—quite the opposite, in fact. There is actually more available solar energy than there is use for it.

Consequently, Chile is now giving away solar energy for free, according to a recent Bloomberg report. Spot prices reached zero in parts of the country for 113 days earlier this year, and one of Chile's two grid operators believes the country is on track to beat last year's record of 192 days of free power. . . .

Because the central grid and northern grid aren't connected, power also isn't distributed evenly among regions. Some areas within the two grids' operational areas lack adequate transmission capacity, further complicating matters. That means electricity prices in certain regions can plummet because surplus power can't be transmitted to other areas that might need it. . . .

The title is a little misleading, when the article states:

electricity prices in certain regions can plummet because surplus power can't be transmitted to other areas that might need it

Sounds like the solution would be to improve inter-regional transmission lines. This is not new, either. Certain areas of north america have long had surplus hydroelectric power. They simply beef up the transmission lines and sell it to their neighbors. Washington state and Quebec come to mind.

So, how much of Chile's electricity is generated from solar? 1%:

image_thumb42.png

As you can see, Chile IS a world leader in electricity generation from renewable sources, at 35%. But solar is only 3% of their renewable portfolio in terms of generation. (Peak power generation from solar is much higher than this average value, however.)

Overall energy consumption in Chile is 17% from renewables:

image_thumb43.png

Chile can certainly benefit from increasing their renewables fraction further, as detailed by Mondaq:
Mondaq said:
Although rich in other natural resources, Chile has no gas, oil or coal and relies heavily on imports for its energy supply. Domestic resources are limited to large hydropower, which has to date played an important role. However, after a few years of droughts, and unreliable gas imports since 2004, energy supply and energy security are two of the key issues facing the country.
Mondaq said:
These factors combined mean that the electricity price in Chile has traditionally been high in comparison to many other countries in the region. Recently, power traded on the spot market at US$80.9/MWh. Such high power prices mean that renewables projects can be competitive despite relatively low government support and without a price guarantee.

Roger Andrews just did an excellent analysis of energy in Chile at Energy Matters.

My takeaways:

- Chile is an excellent environment to ramp up renewable energy due to high energy costs and excellent access to hydro resources.
- Chile's policies are driving PV without addressing the storage issues. PV definitely makes sense there, but they need to figure out how best to use it!

RegGuheert said:
Roger Andrews just did an excellent analysis of energy in Chile at Energy Matters.

My takeaways:

- Chile is an excellent environment to ramp up renewable energy due to high energy costs and excellent access to hydro resources.
- Chile's policies are driving PV without addressing the storage issues. PV definitely makes sense there, but they need to figure out how best to use it!
Thanks for that. They seem to be facing many of the same issues that China did re wind a couple of years back, i.e. concentrating on production capacity without providing the necessary connections to the demand. China acted quickly to correct the balance, and let's hope Chile does as well. But expanding conventional hydro will be fought tooth and nail by environmentalists, rightly so. We're removing dams along the west coast.

GRA said:
But expanding conventional hydro will be fought tooth and nail by environmentalists, rightly so. We're removing dams along the west coast.
Hydrolectric electricity generation certainly has environmental impacts. OTOH, it likely has the LOWEST environmental impact of ANY form of electricity generation on a per-kWh basis. As such, replacing hydroelectric electricity generation facilities with systems which do MORE damage to our environment makes absolutely no sense at all. (Ivanpah springs to mind.)

Got a source for that removing dams thing? We built them for storing drinking/irrigation water as much (if not more than) electricity generation.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
But expanding conventional hydro will be fought tooth and nail by environmentalists, rightly so. We're removing dams along the west coast.
Hydrolectric electricity generation certainly has environmental impacts. OTOH, it likely has the LOWEST environmental impact of ANY form of electricity generation on a per-kWh basis. As such, replacing hydroelectric electricity generation facilities with systems which do MORE damage to our environment makes absolutely no sense at all. (Ivanpah springs to mind.)
Cement (and rebar) production both involve large amounts of fossil fuels, and then there are the other environmental and societal disruptions due to dams. A case in point:
Thousands being moved from China's Three Gorges - again
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-threegorges-idUSBRE87L0ZW20120822

China relocated 1.3 million people during the 17 years it took to complete the Three Gorges dam. Even after finishing the $59 billion project last month, the threat of landslides along the dam's banks will force tens of thousands to move again.

It's a reminder of the social and environmental challenges that have dogged the world's largest hydroelectric project. While there has been little protest among residents who will be relocated a second time, the environmental fallout over other big investments in China has become a hot-button issue ahead of a leadership transition this year. . . .
China has the best undeveloped hydro resources in the world, and they've had big plans which have caused big problems. I spec'd a few micro-hydro systems and I'm not particularly worried about those (still, I always preferred PV/wind when available), but grid-scale hydro is another matter.

Then there's the low energy/power density of hydro, which doesn't just include the area of the turbines/dam itself, but also the entire area of the reservoir. I did see a comparison of the amount of energy, steel/cement etc. used in building and the power densities/area of various types of generating plants some time ago, and IIRR among all of the zero-emission variety, nukes came out ahead. I'll try and remember where I read it and post it.

Stating that there are impacts tells no one anything. My point stands uncontested: hydro is the LOWEST impact per kWh.
GRA said:
Cement (and rebar) production both involve large amounts of fossil fuels,...
So? Please name something that doesn't. With an EROEI approaching 150, hydroelectric far exceeds other alternatives in terms of return on impact. Three Gorges Dam pays back the energy consumed in construction approximately every six months!

RegGuheert said:
Stating that there are impacts tells no one anything. My point stands uncontested: hydro is the LOWEST impact per kWh.
My point was that that AFAIR wasn't the case, but as i said I can't remember just where I read it.
RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
Cement (and rebar) production both involve large amounts of fossil fuels,...
So? Please name something that doesn't. With an EROEI approaching 150, hydroelectric far exceeds other alternatives in terms of return on impact. Three Gorges Dam pays back the energy consumed in construction approximately every six months!
Reg, I've never argued that hydro isn't a good deal energy-wise, only that the societal and environmental impacts are huge, and given the choice other non-emitting options have lower impacts.

GRA said:
Reg, I've never argued that hydro isn't a good deal energy-wise, only that the societal and environmental impacts are huge, and given the choice other non-emitting options have lower impacts.
They're huge because the amount of electricity produced is huge. EVERY other source of electricity has much larger impacts on a per-killowatt basis.

Fighting to eliminate the cleanest source of electricity we have is a ridiculously bad idea since it leads to MORE destruction of the environment.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
They're huge because the amount of electricity produced is huge. EVERY other source of electricity has much larger impacts on a per-killowatt basis.

Fighting to eliminate the cleanest source of electricity we have is a ridiculously bad idea since it leads to MORE destruction of the environment.
No, nukes don't have a much larger impact on a per-kW basis, Reg, that's where the amount of cement/steel/land area needed come into the equation. People may choose to reject nukes from nukes for other, valid reasons (cost uncertainties, worries about accidents* and long-term storage, proliferation, non-renewable fuel [sort-of - see breeders]), but higher environmental, societal and energy impacts than dams aren't among them.

*Although dam failures have killed far more people than all the nuclear plant accidents combined, and coal has killed far more than that, both in accidents and due to emissions.

GRA said:
No, nukes don't have a much larger impact on a per-kW basis, Reg,...
Really? Where does the uranium come from? Didn't you just post that there was about to be a world-wide shortage?

What's happening is that you are fighting against hydroelectric plants and promoting hydrogen for transportation. In parallel, others are fighting against nuclear power. So CA has just agreed to shut down its last nuclear power plant and five hydroelectric dams.

So, how do you keep the lights on without a viable energy storage option? It's about to get much more difficult and much more expensive. And CA's environment is going to suffer massive amounts of destruction, just as is happening in Germany.

It makes no sense.

Chile has massive resources to support hydroelectric electricty production. By far, it's their best option from every perspective.

It's too bad people like you will fight against using the best option.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
No, nukes don't have a much larger impact on a per-kW basis, Reg,...
Really? Where does the uranium come from? Didn't you just post that there was about to be a world-wide shortage?
No, I did not. I posted an article that said because new nukes are coming on line and uranium was getting a bit scarce, the price of uranium is projected to rise, which will in turn lead to more uranium prospecting/extraction etc., which will cause prices to come down again, just as it does with every other resource.

RegGuheert said:
What's happening is that you are fighting against hydroelectric plants and promoting hydrogen for transportation. In parallel, others are fighting against nuclear power. So CA has just agreed to shut down its last nuclear power plant and five hydroelectric dams.

So,how do you keep the lights on? It's about to get much more difficult and much more expensive. And CA's environment is going to suffer massive amounts of destruction, just as is happening in Germany.

It makes no sense.

Chile has massive resources to support hydroelectric electricty production. By far, it's their best option from every perspective.

It's too bad people will fight against using the best option.
Reg, I recognize that all sources of energy have advantages and disadvantages, and we should use the ones that best fit the situation. As for keeping the lights on, although we've come a long way, conservation remains the single most cost-effective choice. We agree that it's going to get a lot more difficult as variable intermittent renewables make up an increasing proportion of electricity generation, absent low cost storage for them. I also recognize that a lot of power dams already exist and removing them all at once isn't feasible or desirable during the transition, if they're still economic. But that's very different from advocating new ones and ignoring their costs. That may well be necessary to keep the lights on in some areas,; it almost certainly will be the lowest-priced choice in some.

Having looked at the advantages and disadvantages of both techs as well as all the others, I reluctantly come down on the side of nukes as having the lowest environmental and social costs to complement renewables (other than hydro*), if we can't find a low-cost means of storage for PV/wind. Others disagree. BTW, Diablo Canyon's planned to be in operation for another 8-9 years until its current licenses expire, so we've got some time to compensate. The sad thing is that California's last out-of-state contract for coal-fired electricity doesn't run out until 2026, unless we can sell it to someone else or the plant's converted to NG (the hope is by 2025).

As for China, they're essentially going full speed ahead on all fronts, PV/wind/hydro/nukes/coal/NG.

*Note that I'm fine with pumped storage in appropriate situations, and maybe H2 or compressed air will be the eventual low cost/low impact bulk storage option if batteries don't get there.

GRA said:
No, I did not. I posted an article that said because new nukes are coming on line and uranium was getting a bit scarce, the price of uranium is projected to rise, which will in turn lead to more uranium prospecting/extraction etc., which will cause prices to come down again, just as it does with every other resource.
More mining.
GRA said:
As for keeping the lights on, although we've come a long way, conservation remains the single most cost-effective choice.
Sorry, conservation is a non-sequitur argument unless you are promoting eliminating ALL electricity consumption from all of society. Otherwise, you need to keep the most environmentally-friendly production methods in place and eliminate the truly damaging approaches like Ivanpah first.
GRA said:
I also recognize that a lot of power dams already exist and removing them all at once isn't feasible or desirable during the transition, if they're still economic. But that's very different from advocating new ones and ignoring their costs.
Ignoring their costs? Please quote words, any words, to that effect. No, you won't find them in this thread.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
More mining.
Sure.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
As for keeping the lights on, although we've come a long way, conservation remains the single most cost-effective choice.
Sorry, conservation is a non-sequitur argument unless you are promoting eliminating ALL electricity consumption from all of society. Otherwise, you need to keep the most environmentally-friendly production methods in place and eliminate the truly damaging approaches like Ivanpah first.
Uh, no, Reg, energy conservation is hardly a non-sequitur, any more than energy efficiency is. California's been at the forefront of both in the U.S., although we still have quite a ways to go to reach European levels.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
I also recognize that a lot of power dams already exist and removing them all at once isn't feasible or desirable during the transition, if they're still economic. But that's very different from advocating new ones and ignoring their costs.
Ignoring their costs? Please quote words, any words, to that effect. No, you won't find them in this thread.
Fair enough. How about 'evaluating their overall costs more favorably than I do in relation to other options?' Wordier, but more accurate.

GRA said:
[*Although dam failures have killed far more people than all the nuclear plant accidents combined, and coal has killed far more than that, both in accidents and due to emissions.
More counting costs without counting benefits. Hydroelectric dams provide flood control functions during the decades of their operation. Likely many times as many lives have been SAVED (human and some other species) by the operation of hydroelectric dams than were ever lost due to the failure of these structures.

For Three Gorges Dam:

First Target of Three Gorges Project is Flood Control.

The project can effectively adjust the upstream flood of Yangtze River, which will assure a flood control standard of the Jingjiang section, a downstream reach to Three Gorges of Yangtze River, arise from currently preventing 10-year flood to controlling 100-year flood. Even in case of a rare occurrence of 1000-year flood, mass damages or injuries can still be prevented. At the same time, social problems such as environmental deterioration and epidemics related to the flood or flood diversion can also be avoided. Thus the project will protect 1.5 million hectare of farmland and towns, and 15 million of people from flood damage at Jianghan Plain and Dongting Lake area. And also the project will raise the reliability of flood control in the mid and lower reach of Yangtze River, relieve the sand silt of Dongting Lake and create favorable conditions for dredge of the lake, and prevention and cure of the schistosomiasis epidemics in the lake area.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
[*Although dam failures have killed far more people than all the nuclear plant accidents combined, and coal has killed far more than that, both in accidents and due to emissions.
More counting costs without counting benefits. Hydroelectric dams provide flood control functions during the decades of their operation. Likely many times as many lives have been SAVED (human and some other species) by the operation of hydroelectric dams than were ever lost due to the failure of these structures.
Could be the case, although hard to quantify. Similar arguments can be made for all sources of electricity and most forms of power, in regards to increases in lifespan/quality of life. BTW, here's UCS' environmental assessment:
Environmental Impacts of Hydroelectric Power
http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_energy/our-energy-choices/renewable-energy/environmental-impacts-hydroelectric-power.html#.V2nqsdUrKlQ

GRA said:
Could be the case, although hard to quantify.
According to the videos at this link, 300,000 people lost their lives in the century prior to the construction of the Three Gorges Dam due to the floods that occurred. The Three Gorges Dam's PRIMARY function is to eliminate many of these floods and to reduce the impact of those that it cannot fully prevent. As such, it is possible that this single dam may have already saved more lives than all hydroelectric dam failures have ever claimed. And many of those other dams also save people's lives in a similar manner. Put another way, hydroelectric dams likely provide a net BENEFIT to society in terms of human lives, even before the power is switched on.
GRA said:
Similar arguments can be made for all sources of electricity and most forms of power, in regards to increases in lifespan/quality of life.
You seem to be misunderstanding what I wrote. I'm not talking about the benefits of the electricity here. I'm talking about DIRECTLY saving lives through the operation of the dam for flood control. In the case of the Three Gorges Dam, that is the primary function. No, there is no other electricity generator out there that that saves more lives than it takes even in the absense of generating electricity.

So called "environmentalism" that only looks at costs and not benefits gets things wrong more often than it gets them right. This is a perfect example and your link to the UCS article demonstrates that myoptic approach in spades.

Back