Drive Electric Week Video from New Zealand

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Drive and scenery. Love the wind turbines. Glad to see the EV movement in progress.

How much of your New Zealand electricity is renewable? Wind? Solar? Geothermal? Hydro? Or mostly oil or coal?

lkkms2 said:
Nice Drive and scenery. Love the wind turbines. Glad to see the EV movement in progress.

How much of your New Zealand electricity is renewable? Wind? Solar? Geothermal? Hydro? Or mostly oil or coal?
Thank you the positive feedback - these are exciting times. Also thanks to this forum for Leaf advice.

New Zealand is well placed for renewable with roughly 80% renewable and 20% fossil fuel and an increasing trend for renewable. The annual generation mix as of 2014 data was for renewable: Wind = 5.2%; Geothermal = 16.3%; Hydro = 57.1%; Bioenergy = 1.5%; then fossil: Coal = 4.3%; Gas = 15.6%.

Solar is not used at a large plant level but there is a growing install base on home and business with grid tied export. The export rate paid has recently dropped dramatically so many users are now consuming all at source so harder to count.

There are now about 2000 plug-in (BEV and PHEV) in NZ. A new electricity retailer (Ecotricity) is promising 100% renewable (not electrons but kWh purchased from renewable sources) which is getting support from EV owners. The night rates available in a number of cities are typically half day rate.

Petrol here is expensive at about US$5/gal (taxes include road user) while EVs are currently exempt road user charges (only subsidy we get) so about US$1 for 40 miles at night rates for my Leaf. With Ecotricity it is great to be travelling all on renewable. That wind farm plus smaller one nearby (200 MW total) near Wellington have a high average output as we are in the "roaring 40s".

dwl said:
lkkms2 said:

Thank you the positive feedback - these are exciting times. Also thanks to this forum for Leaf advice.

New Zealand is well placed for renewable with roughly 80% renewable and 20% fossil fuel and an increasing trend for renewable. The annual generation mix as of 2014 data was for renewable: Wind = 5.2%; Geothermal = 16.3%; Hydro = 57.1%; Bioenergy = 1.5%; then fossil: Coal = 4.3%; Gas = 15.6%.

Solar is not used at a large plant level but there is a growing install base on home and business with grid tied export. The export rate paid has recently dropped dramatically so many users are now consuming all at source so harder to count.

There are now about 2000 plug-in (BEV and PHEV) in NZ. A new electricity retailer (Ecotricity) is promising 100% renewable (not electrons but kWh purchased from renewable sources) which is getting support from EV owners. The night rates available in a number of cities are typically half day rate.

Petrol here is expensive at about US$5/gal (taxes include road user) while EVs are currently exempt road user charges (only subsidy we get) so about US$1 for 40 miles at night rates for my Leaf. With Ecotricity it is great to be travelling all on renewable. That wind farm plus smaller one nearby (200 MW total) near Wellington have a high average output as we are in the "roaring 40s".

Somehow I missed this post reply until now. Thanks for the details on your energy mix in New Zealand:)

Back