The rebound effect and the innefectiveness of BEV subsidies

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

The story below describes one of the most unsound "green" subsidy in existence, America's ethanol mandate.

But the same economic rebound effect reduces the benefits from every government incentive favoring BEVs as well.

Federal, State, and local government incentives to BEV buyers and manufactures have helped to put a relatively small number of BEVs on the roads, depressing petroleum fuel demand only slightly-so far.

But this reduced demand has also reduced gasoline and diesel prices slightly, encouraging ICEV, hybrid and PHEV drivers to increase their petroleum consumption, by purchasing less efficient vehicles, and/or consuming more petroleum fuel by increasing miles driven.

The essential problem is, this rebound effect will scale up with increased BEV sales.

Imagine the future decline in gas and diesel prices, after a significant fraction of the vehicle fleet shifts to the electric grid for fueling.

Which is why any effective government incentive to reduce petroleum fuel consumption must be a disincentive on use of those fuels.
placing a direct cost on their emissions, for those who continue to use our atmosphere as their sewer.

Ethanol in U.S. Gas Tanks is Backfiring for Climate Change

It may have seemed apparent to members of Congress a decade ago that if a motorist pumped a gallon of fuel made from corn into their gas tank, a gallon of fossil fuel would be left in the ground — hopefully on a foreign shore. But real life is not so simple.

A team of researchers has concluded that for every three gallons of corn ethanol that’s being burned under America’s flagship renewable fuel rules, Americans will avoid burning just one gallon of gasoline made from crude...

The researchers, from the University of Minnesota, St. Paul, focused their analysis on the “fuel rebound effect.” That’s economist jargon describing an unintended market consequence of rules requiring America’s gasoline industry to blend biofuels into its products.

“The fuel rebound effect is so strong, and the climate benefits of the biofuels are so small, especially for corn ethanol, that emissions increase,” said Jason Hill, an energy and sustainability researcher who led the work, published in the journal Energy Policy. “That’s a big problem...

increasing the production of an alternative fuel helps make fossil fuels cheaper, tempering the reductions in fossil fuel demand — the so-called fuel rebound effect.

After surveying more than a dozen peer-reviewed studies, the researchers assigned a broadly accepted numerical value to the fuel rebound effect. They also compared the energy content of biofuel with gasoline. Finally, for the sake of number-crunching, they assumed that overly optimistic EPA assumptions about the climate benefits of different biofuels were accurate.

Crunching those numbers led the the researchers to conclude in their paper that America’s fuel standard “actually leads to a net increase” in greenhouse gas emissions — by hundreds of millions of tons from 2006 to 2022...
http://www.climatecentral.org/news/ethanol-backfiring-for-climate-change-20760

It takes 1.5 gallons of ethanol to provide the same BTUs as 1 gallon of gasoline. So there was never going to be a 1 gallon of ethanol for 1 gallon of gasoline tradeoff--ideal substitution without a rebound effect would be 1.5 gallons of ethanol to 1 gallon of gasoline.

So while the rebound effect is reducing the benefit of using ethanol, it is reducing it by a factor of 1/2, not by a factor of 1/3. Not that I'm necessarily in favor of ethanol.

Cheers, Wane

I look at it more that the technology doesn't develop without the subsidy, like hybrid vehicles. The phase out is for this purpose - get it going then let it fly and the market take over. True, it does moderate fuel consumption in the US somewhat, but there are many factors that affect the market especially today global demand. It will take a long time to make the switch and we have to start somewhere so we can scale up as the technology improves (as battery manufacturing is beginning to do). Plus, when oil prices finally rebound (who knows when ) the news can again interview people at gas pumps driving an Escalade crying they can't get to work or feed their families because of the price of gas - how could this happen!?!

As electric vehicle technology gets better it will offer other advantages over gas cars besides cost of ownership.

I think increasing the gas tax when prices are so low is a no-brainer, especially with an indexed increase so we don't have to wring our hands every time the roads go to crap. For those who cry about EVs not paying their share, I'd gladly pay $100 a year extra in registration if gas got a major tax increase, indexed for the future, and the roads get fixed. Would save me time and money in the long run being able to travel more efficiently and without wrecking my car over so many potholes. (EV registration taxes are bad policy though it would address the crying from the other side)

Back