Should HOV access be guaranteed for a period of time?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfcart

VDOT has recently decided to convert the reversible HOV lanes in Norfolk, VA to HOT lanes (demand based tolls) at the end of the year.

http://www.virginiadot.org/newsroom/hampton_roads/2016/hov_lanes_in_norfolk108290.asp

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/transportation/hov-lanes-on-i--to-become-hot-lanes-drivers/article_e37f9577-fbd9-574a-9f6d-71f06fd56a12.html

I agree generally that this is a much better use of the asset, the lanes are underutilized currently and enforcement is so poor that I'd say 80% of the people I see in the lanes don't belong there anyways. It always seems silly to me when there is a 5 mile backup in the regular lanes that the HOV is generally empty that traffic can't be diverted to the HOV lanes.

That said, I can't help but be a little irritated that there is currently no plan to grandfather hybrids and EV's that were purchased before this announcement to continue using the lane for free the way that carpoolers will still be able to (given that we maintain our $25 a year special fuel license plate). One of the reasons I got the leaf was that it entitled me to access the HOV lanes during any hours of the day. I am sure I am not alone in this.

What do y'all think? Is there any reasonable expectation that the state should maintain these privileges for us since we made our vehicle investment with a certain set of incentives present? Or is it reasonable for them to just change the rules at any point given the nature of government and the fact that laws change all the time?

Does Virginia law allow EV's to set their transponders to "HOV mode?" That would allow EVers to continue to use the lanes for free even if solo-occupied.

In Los Angeles County, HOT lanes remain free to EV's as long as you have a FasTrak transponder and have the switch set to the "3+" position. The catch? The transponder itself is not free, at least if you get it from Metro; it costs $1/month just to have. Until a couple of years ago, if you used the pass a certain amount every month it was free, but now they charge a "maintenance fee" regardless of how many tolls you rack up.

hand.jpg

Until recently, Metro was the only one who issued such transponders; Fastrak units from other agencies such as Bay Area or OCTA get charged the "solo occupancy" rate as they lacked the switch. But now 91 Express Lanes has a Fastrak unit with a 3 position switch (solo, 2 person, 3+). These units do not have a monthly fee as long as you meet a minimum number of usages; their Convenience Plan does not have a minimum number of usages but you have to pony up the entire $75 for the transponder itself.

Q22015NL_transponderspr15.jpg

On 91 Express Lanes itself, if you drive a certified zero-emission vehicle you could apply for a "special access account" that lets you drive on those lanes for free (except eastbound 4-6 PM M-F which is a 50% discount). You can also get this account if your vehicle has a permanent Disabled Person/Veteran license plate, is a motorcycle, or is always carrying 3+. More details on the different plans from 91 Express Lanes: https://www.91expresslanes.com/getting-started/

OCTA also has a 3 position FasTrak but they charge $2/month for it unless you rack up a minimum of $25 in monthly tolls.

golfcart said:
What do y'all think? Is there any reasonable expectation that the state should maintain these privileges for us since we made our vehicle investment with a certain set of incentives present? Or is it reasonable for them to just change the rules at any point given the nature of government and the fact that laws change all the time?
You trusted government :lol: :lol: :lol:

This seems like a bad law that is just getting worse. They stole from taxpayers in the first place by setting aside lanes that all paid to build to serve a noble goal of reducing the number of cars on the road. They made the law worse by allowing Hybrids and EVs to use the lanes single occupancy which maybe pollute less, but does nothing to reduce the number of cars on the road. Now they want to collect additional monies from those willing to pay so they can drive in those stolen lanes (yet again single occupancy), which yet again does nothing to reduce the number of cars on the road.

Crazy I know, but I think that HOV lanes should be HOV lanes until they are the more crowded lanes - then you know it worked.

RonDawg said:
Does Virginia law allow EV's to set their transponders to "HOV mode?" That would allow EVers to continue to use the lanes for free even if solo-occupied.

It does for some HOT lanes in Northern Virginia (if you have purchased your EV/Hybrid before a certain date) but there are no plans to allow that in the HOT lanes they are creating in Norfolk later this year. Motorcycles will still be allowed to ride in the HOV lane solo but anyone else either needs to have 2+ occupants or pay the fee. That is straight from VDOT via email.

I suspect that the Northern Virginia (NOVA) folks got a little more worked up about potentially losing their EV/Hybrid privileges than the people around here did when their HOT lanes were introduced (because NOVA gets worked up about everything) and some compromises were made. But like my mom always told me, the squeaky wheel gets the grease...

jpadc said:
golfcart said:
You trusted government :lol: :lol: :lol:

This seems like a bad law that is just getting worse. They stole from taxpayers in the first place by setting aside lanes that all paid to build to serve a noble goal of reducing the number of cars on the road. They made the law worse by allowing Hybrids and EVs to use the lanes single occupancy which maybe pollute less, but does nothing to reduce the number of cars on the road. Now they want to collect additional monies from those willing to pay so they can drive in those stolen lanes (yet again single occupancy), which yet again does nothing to reduce the number of cars on the road.

Crazy I know, but I think that HOV lanes should be HOV lanes until they are the more crowded lanes - then you know it worked.

Agreed, the whole situation is silly. I think it comes down to the fact that they can't open the lanes up to everyone without repaying federal funding but somehow they can make HOT lanes with HOV privileges and not have to repay the feds.

Like I said, I never really felt like the EV/Hybrid in the HOV was necessarily a great idea to begin with... my previous car was a 1998 chevy metro that got 45 mpg all day but couldn't get in the lane while a suburban hybrid could... but that was the rule and I made decisions with that rule in place. I'm just disappointed because this was a MAJOR consideration for me when I bought the car. When people make long term decisions on big purchases it sucks when the rules change in the middle of the game.

The HOV lane privilege currently allows me to bypass traffic for the largest Navy base in the world each day for a small fee of $25 a year (to purchase a special plate). The HOT lanes are expected to start at $.50 - $2.00 a trip, and we all know they'll go up over time because they always do. That means a worst case scenario of $4 - $16 a week if I got in them all 4 days that I typically commute. Which translates to $208 - $832 a year. Plus I have to buy an EZ-pass now. :(

Back