California Raises Gas Tax, Annual Fee for BEV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoaty

"Final details were unveiled last week for the legislation, which will raise the base excise tax on gasoline by 12 cents per gallon, bringing it to 30 cents. Another variable excise tax will be set at 17 cents.

The excise tax on diesel fuel will jump 20 cents per gallon and the sales tax on diesel will go up four percentage points. Electric car owners will pay a $100 annual fee.

The package also creates an annual vehicle fee ranging from $25 for cars valued at under $5,000, to $175 for cars worth $60,000 or more."

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-california-gas-tax-vote-20170406-story.html

Not that I like to see fees on BEVs but at least it corresponds with a raise in the gas tax. My IR controlled state OTOH wants to impose a $75 EV fee(same whether you have a $6k used Leaf or $80k Tesla(remember IR controlled....)) and their motto is "NEVER RAISE THE GAS TAX" :roll: so no increase for large gas guzzling SUVs/pickups(remember IR controlled)......follow the money ;)

Unfortunate, IMO, that the owner of a ~three-ton-Tesla driven ~50 k miles a year in commercial use will pay the same $100 per year as the senior citizen who puts ~5 k miles a year (or less) on their i-miev.

Text with significant details:

...This bill would create the Road Maintenance and Rehabilitation Program to address deferred maintenance on the state highway system and the local street and road system. The bill would require the California Transportation Commission to adopt performance criteria, consistent with a specified asset management plan, to ensure efficient use of certain funds available for the program. The bill would provide for the deposit of various funds for the program in the Road Maintenance and Rehabilitation Account, which the bill would create in the State Transportation Fund, including revenues attributable to a $0.12 per gallon increase in the motor vehicle fuel (gasoline) tax imposed by the bill with an inflation adjustment, as provided, 50% of a $0.20 per gallon increase in the diesel excise tax, with an inflation adjustment, as provided, a portion of a new transportation improvement fee imposed under the Vehicle License Fee Law with a varying fee between $25 and $175 based on vehicle value and with an inflation adjustment, as provided, and a new $100 annual vehicle registration fee applicable only to zero-emission vehicles model year 2020 and later, with an inflation adjustment, as provided. The bill would provide that the fuel excise tax increases take effect on November 1, 2017, the transportation improvement fee takes effect on January 1, 2018, and the zero-emission vehicle registration fee takes effect on July 1, 2020...
http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB1

edatoakrun said:
Unfortunate, IMO, that the owner of a ~three-ton-Tesla driven ~50 k miles a year in commercial use will pay the same $100 per year as the senior citizen who puts ~5 k miles a year (or less) on their i-miev.

Text with significant details:

...This bill would create the Road Maintenance and Rehabilitation Program to address deferred maintenance on the state highway system and the local street and road system. The bill would require the California Transportation Commission to adopt performance criteria, consistent with a specified asset management plan, to ensure efficient use of certain funds available for the program. The bill would provide for the deposit of various funds for the program in the Road Maintenance and Rehabilitation Account, which the bill would create in the State Transportation Fund, including revenues attributable to a $0.12 per gallon increase in the motor vehicle fuel (gasoline) tax imposed by the bill with an inflation adjustment, as provided, 50% of a $0.20 per gallon increase in the diesel excise tax, with an inflation adjustment, as provided, a portion of a new transportation improvement fee imposed under the Vehicle License Fee Law with a varying fee between $25 and $175 based on vehicle value and with an inflation adjustment, as provided, and a new $100 annual vehicle registration fee applicable only to zero-emission vehicles model year 2020 and later, with an inflation adjustment, as provided. The bill would provide that the fuel excise tax increases take effect on November 1, 2017, the transportation improvement fee takes effect on January 1, 2018, and the zero-emission vehicle registration fee takes effect on July 1, 2020...
http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB1
I read that wrong then :( I thought the $25-$175 fee was the EV fee, which I kind of agree on as you said a heavier more expensive vehicle will put more wear and tear on the roads than a cheap iMe, but it looks like your exactly right, $100 EV fee no matter what EV a person has! Again I've asked this before but I wonder how they take into account something like a Volt or PiP? I mean a PiP may be able to drive 15 miles EV(0E) but are they going to be billed the same $100 fee, again as say a Tesla or Bolt which can go hundreds of miles EV only?
Sounds like the varying fee may just be like my states yearly tabs, the more a car is worth the more the tabs, up to 10 years old in which case a $200 beater will pay the same tabs as a $60k Jaguar.....As it is I kind of get screwed on my 2 Leafs as the tab fee is based on the original selling price, depreciated 10%/year for 10 years. As both my Leafs were quite expensive new and worth less than $10k now(only a few years later) I'm paying a disproportionately high fee compared to a car that has depreciated much less :x
Personally I'm not that fond of something like a mileage based fee(my state is talking about this too, although probably not too seriously) although for my minimal driving I'd still probably come out OK.....I guess I could be convinced it's the way to go, although I can see lots of ways to cheat the system and it'd think it would be a record keeping nightmare, and then there is the Big Brother side to tracking everyone's movements.....

From what I read earlier it was to add .40 per gallon of new taxes not total tax per gallon with the total tax per gallon being .80.

After reading the article I am unclear what the total tax is on a gallon of gasoline in California. It says the bill adds .20 for diesel, .12 additional for gasoline raising it to .30 but the next sentence says another variable excise tax will be set at .17 cents. So they raised it by .29 when it was .18 to be .47 cents per gallon?

I already get taxed by my utility and my rate goes up if I use more kWh and at certain times of the day or above the a capped tiered amount.

This is terrible for me and my wifes small business. Having a family of six we need a larger car. Her small business fuels costs per month alone are over $400. With a van getting 16-22 (usually19) mpg its an additional $40 a month to drive to her jobs. In some cases this can be what she make for a single visit. My wife is a residential and commercial cleaner. She covers El Dorado, Amador, and Sacramento counties.

The $100 fee to EV's is like the equivalent of driving 8,750 miles per year or buying the equivalent of 250 gallons of gas for a car that gets 35 mpg. Too me this is excessive for an EV driver. In addition there is another fee that will be imposed as well? "The package also creates an annual vehicle fee ranging from $25-$175 depending on the value of your vehicle". How is the value determined? Will the car have to be nonops to not have the fee. Are we paying both the EV fee and the car value fee?

I also have an old '66 Mustang who's value is determined by who ever is looking at it. I'd say $2k (it needs work) but others may value it as high at $8k in its current state and the 302 in it. Are commercial vehicles charged the same fee (determined by value) instead of classification.

Do EV drives pay an $100+$25/$175=up to $275 per year on top of registration say another $175? So you've doubled the amount I pay to simply have my car titled in CA.

Regular drivers will pay .47 per gallon + $25-$175 and registration as well.

This is just bad policy. We are spending billions on high speed rail that is years behind schedule with no end in site. A water bond and other failed programs. For years the State has borrowed Peter to pay Paul, taking from one program to pay for another. The result is now raise taxes instead of making cuts to nonessential programs and budgeting to account for infrastructure projects as a priority rather than an afterthought or something that can be put on hold until next year.

From what I understand the new legislation has a flat $100 Road Improvement Fee that will be imposed on zero-emission vehicles beginning in 2020 for model years 2020 and later.

jjeff said:
Not that I like to see fees on BEVs but at least it corresponds with a raise in the gas tax. My IR controlled state OTOH wants to impose a $75 EV fee(same whether you have a $6k used Leaf or $80k Tesla(remember IR controlled....)) and their motto is "NEVER RAISE THE GAS TAX" :roll: so no increase for large gas guzzling SUVs/pickups(remember IR controlled)......follow the money ;)

I don't know what you mean by "IR-controlled" (infra-red?) but in California the EV fee is going to be the same $100 whether you buy a badly degraded 2011 Leaf or the most expensive Model X.

The rather sudden ramp-up in fuel prices is going to hurt small businesses and the poor the most.

RonDawg said:
jjeff said:

I don't know what you mean by "IR-controlled" (infra-red?) but in California the EV fee is going to be the same $100 whether you buy a badly degraded 2011 Leaf or the most expensive Model X.

The rather sudden ramp-up in fuel prices is going to hurt small businesses and the poor the most.
Independent Republican....and yes after edatoakrun pointed out the EV tax was a flat fee I retracted my comment, I was reading the $25-$175 registration fee as the EV fee, my mistake.

BakoDuck said:
From what I understand the new legislation has a flat $100 Road Improvement Fee that will be imposed on zero-emission vehicles beginning in 2020 for model years 2020 and later.
That is my reading too. Glad they aren't hitting those of us who are early adopters. So I'm guessing this is an incentive to buy zero emission vehicles from the 2019 model year.

co2112 said:
From what I read earlier it was to add .40 per gallon of new taxes not total tax per gallon with the total tax per gallon being .80.

After reading the article I am unclear what the total tax is on a gallon of gasoline in California. It says the bill adds .20 for diesel, .12 additional for gasoline raising it to .30 but the next sentence says another variable excise tax will be set at .17 cents. So they raised it by .29 when it was .18 to be .47 cents per gallon? <snip>
Via KABC:
Breakdown of the plan:

- $24.4 billion by raising the gasoline excise taxes 12 cents per gallon, or 43 percent above the current rate of 27.8 cents starting Nov. 1.

- $7.3 billion by raising the current 16-cent-a-gallon diesel excise tax by 20 cents - a 125 percent increase starting Nov. 1.

- $3.5 billion by increasing the state diesel sales tax from 9 percent to 13 percent starting Nov. 1.

- $16.3 billion from an annual transportation improvement fee based on a vehicle's value, similar to what owners already pay annually to the state Department of Motor Vehicles, beginning next year. The fees range from $25 for vehicles valued at less than $5,000 to $175 for vehicles topping $60,000. The administration says nearly nine-in-10 vehicles would be assessed a fee of $50 or less.

- $200 million from a new $100 annual fee on zero-emission vehicles model year 2020 and later.

- $706 million in repayments of transportation funds that had previously been loaned to the state's General Fund.

The money would be split between state and local governments. Here's where it would go:

- The local share includes $15 billion to fix potholes, $7.5 billion for public transportation and $1 billion for walking and biking trails.

- The state share includes $15 billion for highway repairs, $4 billion for bridge and culvert repairs, $2.5 billion to reduce traffic on major commuter routes.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
http://abc7.com/traffic/ca-legislature-passes-gov-browns-$52b-plan-to-fix-roads-hike-gas-taxes/1844010/

As I read it, the state gas tax will go to $0.398/gal on 11/1. Add to that the federal gas tax of $0.184/gal, or $0.581/gal. total.
While it may cause a few people to change their car buying preferences, I suspect this isn't enough to shift things by more than a couple of %. Current average California price for reg. is $2.991, so a $0.12 boost is still in the low $3 range. I think we won't see major effects on car buying choices until the average price hits at least $3.50/gal.

GRA said:
As I read it, the state gas tax will go to $0.398/gal on 11/1. Add to that the federal gas tax of $0.184/gal, or $0.581/gal. total.
While it may cause a few people to change their car buying preferences, I suspect this isn't enough to shift things by more than a couple of %. Current average California price for reg. is $2.991, so a $0.12 boost is still in the low $3 range. I think we won't see major effects on car buying choices until the average price hits at least $3.50/gal.
I agree, but this tax was not intended to change consumer vehicle choice behaviour; it is meant to pay for road maintenance.

SageBrush said:
GRA said:
I agree, but this tax was not intended to change consumer vehicle choice behaviour; it is meant to pay for road maintenance.
The road repairs is just the bait to get it passed. If I understand it correctly, the only true restrictions on the spending is that it be for 'transportation projects', which means the funds will likely be siphoned off to pay for his high speed train when Trump cancels the Federal funding. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for our roads to get better.

DarthPuppy said:
SageBrush said:
GRA said:
The road repairs is just the bait to get it passed. If I understand it correctly, the only true restrictions on the spending is that it be for 'transportation projects', which means the funds will likely be siphoned off to pay for his high speed train when Trump cancels the Federal funding. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for our roads to get better.

We have one of the highest fuel taxes in the world here in the UK, £2.64/$3.27 is tax on (todays price) £5.50/$6.81 UK gallon. :evil: A lot of our road network is in a terrible state of disrepair, they're certainly not spending that fuel tax on the roads.

DarthPuppy said:

+1.

SageBrush said:
GRA said:

Which is a total failure to recognize you can get both at the same time.

SageBrush said:
GRA said:
True and however funded, we certainly need to fix them. Our roads and bridges were in lousy shape before all the damage from this winter's rains; even ignoring the major problems that got all the headlines (mudslides, bridge failures, sinkholes etc.), potholes have really proliferated to the point where I'm having to be much more careful when riding my bike.

SageBrush said:
RonDawg said:
The rather sudden ramp-up in fuel prices is going to hurt small businesses
As if expenses are not passed on to the consumer. Hah

Not for her business. She provides residential services at a fixed rate for low income/fixed income residents who are special needs. She cannot simply raise her rates to accommodate additional costs.

She either needs to add additional customers on same days as service area or drop the area all together.

Via KABC:
Breakdown of the plan:

- $24.4 billion by raising the gasoline excise taxes 12 cents per gallon, or 43 percent above the current rate of 27.8 cents starting Nov. 1.

- $7.3 billion by raising the current 16-cent-a-gallon diesel excise tax by 20 cents - a 125 percent increase starting Nov. 1.

- $3.5 billion by increasing the state diesel sales tax from 9 percent to 13 percent starting Nov. 1.

- $16.3 billion from an annual transportation improvement fee based on a vehicle's value, similar to what owners already pay annually to the state Department of Motor Vehicles, beginning next year. The fees range from $25 for vehicles valued at less than $5,000 to $175 for vehicles topping $60,000. The administration says nearly nine-in-10 vehicles would be assessed a fee of $50 or less.

- $200 million from a new $100 annual fee on zero-emission vehicles model year 2020 and later.

- $706 million in repayments of transportation funds that had previously been loaned to the state's General Fund.

The money would be split between state and local governments. Here's where it would go:

- The local share includes $15 billion to fix potholes, $7.5 billion for public transportation and $1 billion for walking and biking trails.

- The state share includes $15 billion for highway repairs, $4 billion for bridge and culvert repairs, $2.5 billion to reduce traffic on major commuter routes.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
http://abc7.com/traffic/ca-legislature-passes-gov-browns-$52b-plan-to-fix-roads-hike-gas-taxes/1844010/

While it may cause a few people to change their car buying preferences, I suspect this isn't enough to shift things by more than a couple of %. Current average California price for reg. is $2.991, so a $0.12 boost is still in the low $3 range. I think we won't see major effects on car buying choices until the average price hits at least $3.50/gal.[/quote]

This is more informative than the bill and the other articles I read. Thank s for sharing.

Back