GRA

Coalition of 13 states challenge Trump on vehicle emission standards

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:47 pm

Via ABG: http://www.autoblog.com/2017/06/10/13-s ... emissions/
New York State's attorney general and 12 other top state law enforcement officials said on Friday they would mount a vigorous court challenge to any effort to roll back vehicle emission rules by the Trump administration. . . .

"In light of the critical public health and environmental benefits the standards will deliver, if EPA acts to weaken or delay the current standards for model years 2022-25, like California, we intend to vigorously pursue appropriate legal remedies to block such action," the state attorneys wrote in a letter to the Environmental Protection Agency including Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Iowa, Washington State, Oregon and Rhode Island. . . .

The entire letter can be found here: https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/p ... ndards.pdf
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Re: Coalition of 13 states challenge Trump on vehicle emission standards

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:14 am

I am an educated, aware professional who has been following the automotive/ environment area for the past 40+ years.

Why should we care that Trump does not want to tighten emissions to the point that states need to "sue" in the courts?? What would be the motivation that is so strong to go to court if "at this time" the standards do not change? What difference would it make??

Is this a continuation of being mad at Trump for not signing the Paris "agreements"?

rmay635703

Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:52 am

I think the worry is that Trumps croneys will then proceed to impede states rights in terms of emissions

finman100
Delivery Date: 06 Jun 2014

Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:04 pm

FYD 2017. It's sooo time for impeachment.

wow. can nobody see how unfit to be potus this guy is? really?

We all lose with donald 'leading' us down 'his' road.

And that's why other sensible heads have to step in and do the right things since he hates America.

Fail.

What an effing catastrophe.
Albany, Oregon
2014 Silver SV with charge/LED package. June 2014, I'm in the EV game!
30,200 miles
19.1 kWh on 100% charge (56ish Ah)
4.2 miles/kWh average
Best trip: all of 'em. They're all no-gas!

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:12 am

So this is going to turn into a Trump conversation..... I am not interested.

States should not "challenge" any federal policies... especially on... of all things.... "EMISSIONS"? That is ridiculous.

What does the country care how quickly the US tightens emissions standards in the future... Are we obsessed with measuring smog in PPM in our backyards?? We have had these LONG TERM standards for improving emissions for decades, and now some nuts choose NOW to complain that we are not doing this fast enough. Is the country choking on bad air? no. This is just another nonissue to complain about for trouble hungry nuts.

Ok, so we continue to use coal, continue with the current emissions standards into the near future. Is the world going to blow up because of this?? We can still develop solar, renewables, and increase the number of electric cars, and stop complaining.

Case in point..... When CDs came out in the 80s, we did not outlaw LP records and force people to buy CDs. They continued to make and sell LPs, and slowly, the CDs slowly took over. Same thing happened with VHS and DVDs...

rmay635703

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:11 am

powersurge wrote:
States should not "challenge" any federal policies... especially on... of all things.... "EMISSIONS"? That is ridiculous.

What does the STATE care how quickly the US tightens emissions standards in the future... .

Case in point..... When CDs came out in the 80s, we did not outlaw LP records and force people to buy CDs. They continued to make and sell LPs, and slowly, the CDs slowly took over. Same thing happened with VHS and DVDs...

On the surface I agree that national standards that do not affect each individual states right to set their own standards is a non issue.

As I stated I believe their fear is the adage ...
When they went for a stranger I didn't care, when they went for my neighbor I rationalized but then they came for me.

The worry is a we are next one founded or not

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:04 am

powersurge wrote:Case in point..... When CDs came out in the 80s, we did not outlaw LP records and force people to buy CDs. They continued to make and sell LPs, and slowly, the CDs slowly took over. Same thing happened with VHS and DVDs...

This analogy falls flat. LPs did not cause significant damage to our environment and therefore our health. CDs were not solving a societal issue, but were simply a (generally) better technology. Sure, LPs still have an advantage today for sound quality, but that is drowned out by the advantages of CDs (and now .mp3s, and other digital formats).
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:12 am

finman100 wrote:FYD 2017. It's sooo time for impeachment.

And that's why other sensible heads have to step in and do the right things since he hates America.

Fail.

Not everyone shares your point of view, nor your lack of understanding of what impeachment means.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

LKK

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:44 am

I don't see a problem if a state sets an emission requirement that is less than the national requirement. National requirements define the maximum allowable emissions for all states, not minimum levels of emissions that all vehicles must produce. So if a state want to have more stringent requirements, they still comply with the national requurement.

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:07 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:
finman100 wrote:FYD 2017. It's sooo time for impeachment.

Fail.

Not everyone shares your point of view, nor your lack of understanding of what impeachment means.

Sadly, I find that most people have no clue what impeachment means, or why it would occur. To most lay people, it seems to mean "I don't like this guy, get him out of office now!"

It was thrown around with Obama just as much as it is with Trump, so it's hardly a partisan thing.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”