BorgWarner cabin heater extends driving range for new EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via GCC: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/09/20170922-bw.html

BorgWarner will be supplying its advanced high-voltage positive temperature coefficient (PTC) cabin heating technology for a new electric vehicle (EV) for a globally known EV automaker. BorgWarner’s technology features more efficient use of energy while providing rapid cabin heating.

. . . BorgWarner’s high-voltage cabin heater warms the air stream coming from the blower, delivering a comfortable and odor-free cabin environment, while saving battery power due to efficient operation.

Featuring ceramic PTC components as core elements of the design, the cabin heater self-regulates to ensure high power heating is available in cold temperatures, when it is needed most. As temperatures rise and heating demand decreases, the energy is automatically reduced.

The cabin heater offers up to 7 kW of power, provides dual-zone functionality for reduced waste compared with single-zone solutions, and contributes to nearly silent operation of the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. . . .
No details of efficiency gains.

Sounds like it heats the air directly instead of heating water which then uses a heat exchanger to heat the air as is presently done In the LEAF. I Think this will make the heat start more quickly and should slightly mcrease efficiency. After all, in the LEAF, the water reservoir isn't insulated.

thimel said:
Sounds like it heats the air directly instead of heating water which then uses a heat exchanger to heat the air as is presently done In the LEAF. I Think this will make the heat start more quickly and should slightly mcrease efficiency. After all, in the LEAF, the water reservoir isn't insulated.

The above only applies to the pre-2013 leafs. Starting in 2013 there is no 'water heater'. The PTC heats the air directly.

Back