GRA

BorgWarner cabin heater extends driving range for new EV

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:26 pm

Via GCC: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/09/20170922-bw.html

BorgWarner will be supplying its advanced high-voltage positive temperature coefficient (PTC) cabin heating technology for a new electric vehicle (EV) for a globally known EV automaker. BorgWarner’s technology features more efficient use of energy while providing rapid cabin heating.

. . . BorgWarner’s high-voltage cabin heater warms the air stream coming from the blower, delivering a comfortable and odor-free cabin environment, while saving battery power due to efficient operation.

Featuring ceramic PTC components as core elements of the design, the cabin heater self-regulates to ensure high power heating is available in cold temperatures, when it is needed most. As temperatures rise and heating demand decreases, the energy is automatically reduced.

The cabin heater offers up to 7 kW of power, provides dual-zone functionality for reduced waste compared with single-zone solutions, and contributes to nearly silent operation of the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. . . .

No details of efficiency gains.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: BorgWarner cabin heater extends driving range for new EV

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:59 pm

Hype. The system is much like the Leaf's PTC heater.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

thimel
Delivery Date: 11 Jun 2011

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:09 pm

Sounds like it heats the air directly instead of heating water which then uses a heat exchanger to heat the air as is presently done In the LEAF. I Think this will make the heat start more quickly and should slightly mcrease efficiency. After all, in the LEAF, the water reservoir isn't insulated.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:21 pm

thimel wrote:Sounds like it heats the air directly instead of heating water which then uses a heat exchanger to heat the air as is presently done In the LEAF. I Think this will make the heat start more quickly and should slightly mcrease efficiency. After all, in the LEAF, the water reservoir isn't insulated.

The above only applies to the pre-2013 leafs. Starting in 2013 there is no 'water heater'. The PTC heats the air directly.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”