GRA
Posts: 7364
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Rebates Drive Up EV Sales By 74% In New York

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:27 pm

Via IEVS: http://insideevs.com/rebates-drive-up-ev-sales-by-74-in-new-york/

New York governor Andrew M. Cuomo’s office has announced that the new state rebate of up to $2,000 off new plug-in purchases, has contributed to the high growth of plug-in electric vehicle sales in across the state. The Drive Clean Rebate was introduced on March 21, and since then (between April and June), sales have increased 74% year-over-year from 1,476 to 2,574.

    “The Drive Clean Rebate provides New York residents with a rebate of up to $2,000 for the purchase of a new electric car from participating dealers. . . .”

New York has spent more than $3 million on the incentives, and most of people received rebates of $1,100 or more.

Interestingly, more than 40% of rebates were used to purchase the new Toyota Prius Prime model. The Chevrolet Bolt EV was responsible for 12%, while the Chevrolet Volt and the Ford Fusion Energi both for 10%. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 1630
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Rebates Drive Up EV Sales By 74% In New York

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:10 am

Yes, great. Now we need to get serious about giving those EVs a place to quick charge.

More than 1,700 electric vehicle charging stations have already been installed toward Charge NY’s goal of 3,000 charging stations by 2018.


This sounds great to the uninitiated, but they say nothing about how those chargers are broken down. I fear that NYS, in all of our "brilliance" will install a dozen actual quick chargers (in and around NYC-Albany the corridor of course - where the politicians travel - screw the rest of the state!) and 2988 L2 chargers.

BTW, later today I will be getting $2000 from the state towards a new Bolt, so I certainly appreciate the program!
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

LeftieBiker
Posts: 6946
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Rebates Drive Up EV Sales By 74% In New York

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:42 am

New York still charges sales tax on EV sales and leases, so while it's welcome, all this rebate does is rebate that sales tax.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 1630
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Rebates Drive Up EV Sales By 74% In New York

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:56 am

LeftieBiker wrote:New York still charges sales tax on EV sales and leases, so while it's welcome, all this rebate does is rebate that sales tax.


True, that's another way to look at it. NY doesn't charge anything special on EVs, it's still the same tax rate. But giving a $2k point-of-sale rebate sounds better than waiving sales tax (even though the sales tax is technically a bit more than $2k).
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

GRA
Posts: 7364
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Rebates Drive Up EV Sales By 74% In New York

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:27 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:Yes, great. Now we need to get serious about giving those EVs a place to quick charge.

More than 1,700 electric vehicle charging stations have already been installed toward Charge NY’s goal of 3,000 charging stations by 2018.


This sounds great to the uninitiated, but they say nothing about how those chargers are broken down. I fear that NYS, in all of our "brilliance" will install a dozen actual quick chargers (in and around NYC-Albany the corridor of course - where the politicians travel - screw the rest of the state!) and 2988 L2 chargers.

BTW, later today I will be getting $2000 from the state towards a new Bolt, so I certainly appreciate the program!

Considering the % of PHEVs to BEVs sold/leased, it looks to me as if destination chargers are more important than QCs for now. You want both, but none of the 3 top-selling PHEVs that have gotten the rebates so far can use (or IMO need) QCs.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 1630
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Rebates Drive Up EV Sales By 74% In New York

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:22 am

GRA wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote:Yes, great. Now we need to get serious about giving those EVs a place to quick charge.

More than 1,700 electric vehicle charging stations have already been installed toward Charge NY’s goal of 3,000 charging stations by 2018.


This sounds great to the uninitiated, but they say nothing about how those chargers are broken down. I fear that NYS, in all of our "brilliance" will install a dozen actual quick chargers (in and around NYC-Albany the corridor of course - where the politicians travel - screw the rest of the state!) and 2988 L2 chargers.

BTW, later today I will be getting $2000 from the state towards a new Bolt, so I certainly appreciate the program!

Considering the % of PHEVs to BEVs sold/leased, it looks to me as if destination chargers are more important than QCs for now. You want both, but none of the 3 top-selling PHEVs that have gotten the rebates so far can use (or IMO need) QCs.


Yes, but NYS should be building for the fleet we want in the future, not the one we have today. If they built a robust QC corridor along the Thruway (I-87 NYC to Albany and I-90 Albany to Buffalo), I guarantee you that BEVs would sell much better.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

LeftieBiker
Posts: 6946
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Rebates Drive Up EV Sales By 74% In New York

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:58 am

If they built a robust QC corridor along the Thruway (I-87 NYC to Albany and I-90 Albany to Buffalo), I guarantee you that BEVs would sell much better.


That should be "I-87 NYC to Montreal." The only people who want to stop driving North at Albany are the politicians.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 1630
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Rebates Drive Up EV Sales By 74% In New York

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:23 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
If they built a robust QC corridor along the Thruway (I-87 NYC to Albany and I-90 Albany to Buffalo), I guarantee you that BEVs would sell much better.


That should be "I-87 NYC to Montreal." The only people who want to stop driving North at Albany are the politicians.


No, it shouldn't. The Thruway banks west at Albany. I-87 north of Albany is the Northway, and it is NOT run by the Thruway Authority. It does not have full-service rest stops. In fact, most of its rest stops north of Lake George have been closed for over a decade.

Now I don't disagree that there should be QCs all the way to the Canadian border. It's just that it isn't under the jurisdiction of the Thruway Authority.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

GRA
Posts: 7364
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Rebates Drive Up EV Sales By 74% In New York

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:44 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:
GRA wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote:Yes, great. Now we need to get serious about giving those EVs a place to quick charge.

This sounds great to the uninitiated, but they say nothing about how those chargers are broken down. I fear that NYS, in all of our "brilliance" will install a dozen actual quick chargers (in and around NYC-Albany the corridor of course - where the politicians travel - screw the rest of the state!) and 2988 L2 chargers.

BTW, later today I will be getting $2000 from the state towards a new Bolt, so I certainly appreciate the program!

Considering the % of PHEVs to BEVs sold/leased, it looks to me as if destination chargers are more important than QCs for now. You want both, but none of the 3 top-selling PHEVs that have gotten the rebates so far can use (or IMO need) QCs.

Yes, but NYS should be building for the fleet we want in the future, not the one we have today. If they built a robust QC corridor along the Thruway (I-87 NYC to Albany and I-90 Albany to Buffalo), I guarantee you that BEVs would sell much better.

Sure, they need to start building QCs on major routes, it's a question of the balance. A Bolt can make NYC-Albany non-stop, and Albany to Buffalo would only need QCs in Syracuse to make it. A 40kWh LEAF will need a few more stops, say at Newburgh (Jct. I-84/87) or Kingston, Utica and Rochester. How many each site needs I leave up to people like you who live in the area. Expand the network from that, and increase the QC density and numbers as the balance between PHEVs and BEVs changes.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 6946
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Rebates Drive Up EV Sales By 74% In New York

Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:44 pm

That should be "I-87 NYC to Montreal." The only people who want to stop driving North at Albany are the politicians.



No, it shouldn't. The Thruway banks west at Albany. I-87 north of Albany is the Northway, and it is NOT run by the Thruway Authority. It does not have full-service rest stops. In fact, most of its rest stops north of Lake George have been closed for over a decade.

Now I don't disagree that there should be QCs all the way to the Canadian border. It's just that it isn't under the jurisdiction of the Thruway Authority.


Why are you fixated on the Thruway Authority? They aren't the NYS government, but a quasi-independent business-like entity. New York can put QC stations on the Northway, and they can even reopen a closed rest area to do it! Or just use one of the remaining open ones.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”