Rebates Drive Up EV Sales By 74% In New York

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via IEVS: http://insideevs.com/rebates-drive-up-ev-sales-by-74-in-new-york/

New York governor Andrew M. Cuomo’s office has announced that the new state rebate of up to $2,000 off new plug-in purchases, has contributed to the high growth of plug-in electric vehicle sales in across the state. The Drive Clean Rebate was introduced on March 21, and since then (between April and June), sales have increased 74% year-over-year from 1,476 to 2,574.

• “The Drive Clean Rebate provides New York residents with a rebate of up to $2,000 for the purchase of a new electric car from participating dealers. . . .”

New York has spent more than $3 million on the incentives, and most of people received rebates of $1,100 or more.

Interestingly, more than 40% of rebates were used to purchase the new Toyota Prius Prime model. The Chevrolet Bolt EV was responsible for 12%, while the Chevrolet Volt and the Ford Fusion Energi both for 10%. . . .

Yes, great. Now we need to get serious about giving those EVs a place to quick charge.

More than 1,700 electric vehicle charging stations have already been installed toward Charge NY’s goal of 3,000 charging stations by 2018.

This sounds great to the uninitiated, but they say nothing about how those chargers are broken down. I fear that NYS, in all of our "brilliance" will install a dozen actual quick chargers (in and around NYC-Albany the corridor of course - where the politicians travel - screw the rest of the state!) and 2988 L2 chargers.

BTW, later today I will be getting $2000 from the state towards a new Bolt, so I certainly appreciate the program!

LeftieBiker said:
New York still charges sales tax on EV sales and leases, so while it's welcome, all this rebate does is rebate that sales tax.

True, that's another way to look at it. NY doesn't charge anything special on EVs, it's still the same tax rate. But giving a $2k point-of-sale rebate sounds better than waiving sales tax (even though the sales tax is technically a bit more than $2k).

GetOffYourGas said:
Yes, great. Now we need to get serious about giving those EVs a place to quick charge.

More than 1,700 electric vehicle charging stations have already been installed toward Charge NY’s goal of 3,000 charging stations by 2018.

This sounds great to the uninitiated, but they say nothing about how those chargers are broken down. I fear that NYS, in all of our "brilliance" will install a dozen actual quick chargers (in and around NYC-Albany the corridor of course - where the politicians travel - screw the rest of the state!) and 2988 L2 chargers.

BTW, later today I will be getting $2000 from the state towards a new Bolt, so I certainly appreciate the program!
Considering the % of PHEVs to BEVs sold/leased, it looks to me as if destination chargers are more important than QCs for now. You want both, but none of the 3 top-selling PHEVs that have gotten the rebates so far can use (or IMO need) QCs.

GRA said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Considering the % of PHEVs to BEVs sold/leased, it looks to me as if destination chargers are more important than QCs for now. You want both, but none of the 3 top-selling PHEVs that have gotten the rebates so far can use (or IMO need) QCs.

Yes, but NYS should be building for the fleet we want in the future, not the one we have today. If they built a robust QC corridor along the Thruway (I-87 NYC to Albany and I-90 Albany to Buffalo), I guarantee you that BEVs would sell much better.

If they built a robust QC corridor along the Thruway (I-87 NYC to Albany and I-90 Albany to Buffalo), I guarantee you that BEVs would sell much better.

That should be "I-87 NYC to Montreal." The only people who want to stop driving North at Albany are the politicians.

LeftieBiker said:
If they built a robust QC corridor along the Thruway (I-87 NYC to Albany and I-90 Albany to Buffalo), I guarantee you that BEVs would sell much better.

That should be "I-87 NYC to Montreal." The only people who want to stop driving North at Albany are the politicians.

No, it shouldn't. The Thruway banks west at Albany. I-87 north of Albany is the Northway, and it is NOT run by the Thruway Authority. It does not have full-service rest stops. In fact, most of its rest stops north of Lake George have been closed for over a decade.

Now I don't disagree that there should be QCs all the way to the Canadian border. It's just that it isn't under the jurisdiction of the Thruway Authority.

GetOffYourGas said:
GRA said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Yes, but NYS should be building for the fleet we want in the future, not the one we have today. If they built a robust QC corridor along the Thruway (I-87 NYC to Albany and I-90 Albany to Buffalo), I guarantee you that BEVs would sell much better.
Sure, they need to start building QCs on major routes, it's a question of the balance. A Bolt can make NYC-Albany non-stop, and Albany to Buffalo would only need QCs in Syracuse to make it. A 40kWh LEAF will need a few more stops, say at Newburgh (Jct. I-84/87) or Kingston, Utica and Rochester. How many each site needs I leave up to people like you who live in the area. Expand the network from that, and increase the QC density and numbers as the balance between PHEVs and BEVs changes.

No, it shouldn't. The Thruway banks west at Albany. I-87 north of Albany is the Northway, and it is NOT run by the Thruway Authority. It does not have full-service rest stops. In fact, most of its rest stops north of Lake George have been closed for over a decade.

Now I don't disagree that there should be QCs all the way to the Canadian border. It's just that it isn't under the jurisdiction of the Thruway Authority.

Why are you fixated on the Thruway Authority? They aren't the NYS government, but a quasi-independent business-like entity. New York can put QC stations on the Northway, and they can even reopen a closed rest area to do it! Or just use one of the remaining open ones.

LeftieBiker said:

Why are you fixated on the Thruway Authority? They aren't the NYS government, but a quasi-independent business-like entity. New York can put QC stations on the Northway, and they can even reopen a closed rest area to do it! Or just use one of the remaining open ones.

Not fixated at all. It's just that you quoted me, cut off the part where I mentioned the thruway, and then "corrected" me to include the northway. The thruway is my own personal focus because 1) I live in Syracuse and 2) I have family in the Hudson Valley and 3) I have friends in Rochester and Buffalo. It connects the majority of my trips. The same is likely true for many New Yorkers.

But again, I am not "fixated" on it, and fully recognize that there are other important corridors in the state.

GetOffYourGas said:
...I don't disagree that there should be QCs all the way to the Canadian border...

It would also be good to put a couple of QC along the I-86/Route 17 corridor. There's one in Elmira. There should be one in Olean, Binghamton, Middletown, maybe Liberty too.

(Emphasis added by me.)

I didn't cut the first part out to change the meaning. In fact, it reinforces my point: why focus on the Thruway Authority when you are talking about the state? I don't understand why you made the distinction you did, after talking specifically about "NYS." You say it's your personal preference, but you were talking about BEV sales, not about the state building what your family wants. There is a heck of a lot of traffic between Albany and Montreal. Oh well...

LeftieBiker said:

(Emphasis added by me.)

I didn't cut the first part out to change the meaning. In fact, it reinforces my point: why focus on the Thruway Authority when you are talking about the state? I don't understand why you made the distinction you did, after talking specifically about "NYS." You say it's your personal preference, but you were talking about BEV sales, not about the state building what your family wants. There is a heck of a lot of traffic between Albany and Montreal. Oh well...

Ok, we're just splitting hairs. You read what I wrote with a different lens than I had when I wrote it. I think we agree that Albany-Montreal is important. So can't we just agree to agree?

Have you driven that stretch of road in VT? The posted speed limit is 50 MPH (not that anyone abides by it). It's very different road from an interstate, though. I guess that would be to your benefit in an EV, since lower speeds net you more miles/kWh.

Agreed on both accounts. I personally enjoy driving on 7. The route isn't as popular as I-87 of course, so QCs there would help more people.

Looking at the QC map on Plugshare makes me sad. Living in Syracuse, I'm smack dab in the middle of a giant hole. Whenever I come home from a long trip, I will have to charge deep into the taper region of my Bolt in order to make it.

GetOffYourGas, this study discusses the issues affecting the mix of QCs versus destination charging, and the numbers needed: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=24679#p507373

The suggested ratio works out to almost 22 non-residential (L2) plug: 1 QC plug. Out of the 8,500 QC stations (27,500 plugs) only 400 stations (2,500 plugs) need to be on interstate corridors.

Thanks for the study link, Guy! I haven't read it yet, but I will.

I agree that L2 needs to grow faster than QC. I'm just not sure that what I'm seeing of that growth is right. L2 needs to go at residences and workplaces more than anywhere. Around here, I am seeing a bunch go in at shopping centers and restaurants. I'm not sure that makes sense in the long run. If you have a 200+ mile BEV that can charge at home and at work, L2 at the mall offers very little benefit.

And then there is this one:
https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/55397

It's called a "market", but it's a glorified rest stop along the Taconic State Parkway. Having L2 there seems like a waste of money.

And having only 5% of the QC along highway corridors? Again, that feels wrong for a world with 200+ mile EVs.

I guess I should just read that study...

Back