The heartbreak of 'Charging Time Trauma'

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

On several occasions I've commented on how the continuing attraction of ICEVs is more a case of addiction withdrawal anxiety, than a rational decision based on cost/benefit analysis.

It now seems that ICEV drivers have yet another trauma to overcome before they can release the grip the gas pump has on them.

I only wish my biggest problem with the DC infrastructure was that the 0% to 100% charge (which I have never done in over six years of driving a BEV) would be "a fill-up can take an hour or more"...

For Electric Car Owners, 'Range Anxiety' Gives Way to 'Charging Time Trauma'

An oft-cited reason people don’t buy electric cars is “range anxiety” — if batteries struggle to take you as far as gas and charging stations are limited in number, the thinking goes, who would want one?

But there is another obstacle: charging time trauma. Compared with a five-minute pit stop at your local gas station, charging an electric vehicle is a glacially slow experience. Modern electric cars still often need an entire night to recharge at home, and even at a commercial fast charging station, a fill-up can take an hour or more...
Add to the list at:

edatoakrun said:
Are LEAF concerns evidence of anxiety?

Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:17 pm

With the proliferation of threads and off-topic comments on unrelated threads which seem to indicate many MNL members may be allowing their underlying anxieties distort their LEAF experiences, I thought it might be a good idea to begin a therapeutic thread.

The excerpted article below suggests pre-existing conditions, specifically two anxieties, are barriers to BEV sales:

Psychological Barriers Are Holding Back Electric Vehicle Adoption

January 29th, 2015 by Joshua S Hill

A new study investigating the barriers preventing people from buying electric vehicles has identified two separate issues that hold people back — range anxiety and resale anxiety...

The study, published in the “Articles in Advance” section of Manufacturing and Service Operations Management (M&SOM)...

The authors of the report — Michael K. Lim of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Ho-Yin Mak of Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, and Ying Rong of Shanghai Jiao Tong University — identified two specific psychological barriers that prevent people from purchasing electric vehicles:
range anxiety — the concern that an electric vehicle’s driving range will not be enough for the needs of the driver (however, at least one writer has intelligently noted that “range anxiety anxiety” seems to be the real issue)
resale anxiety — the concern that the price of used electric vehicles will drop in the future, making resale a difficult option...
https://cleantechnica.com/2015/01/29/psychological-barriers-holding-back-electric-vehicle-adoption/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't help noticing that many with LEAFs still have these anxieties, and that those fears are increasingly entering discussions, even on MNL threads on topics unrelated to either issue..

So, can anyone suggest any rational reason why I should still have either of these anxieties?

Can anyone offer rational explanation, for why so many MNL members seem to be so anxious, on both counts?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19055

And yet my reality is spending far less time dealing with "refueling" than ever I did with ICE vehicles. It takes me less than 5 seconds to plug in and 5 seconds to unplug. That compares quite favorably to refueling with gasoline. And I find the proverbial "5 minute fill-up" to be in error as well. With gasoline, refuelling was always more than a 5 minute affair, as it usually required some type of diversion from my route. And add to that the "OMG I NEED GAS" mornings, which I haven't had to deal with in the last 6 years.

Exactly. I have level 3 charged my LEAF 20 times in five years and 54,000 miles. How much time would I have spent pumping gas in the rain, or cold or heat over those miles. My old Jeep got 18 mpg and had a fuel tank the size of a thimble. Public charging is necessary, but I would hate to have to depend on it.

Its different when you use the EV for local travel vs. a single long distance trip.

I plug in my LEAF and it charges either overnight (L1) or in a hour or two at work (L2) and I never need to think about. There's never any trauma.

But if you take a long-range EV on a long trip, the 15-25 minute stop to charge every 2-3 hours does add up. I just did two trips totaling 2000 miles along the eastern seaboard and I credit my wife for not balking in adding an hour of charging to a 6 hour trip.

This thread is a rebuttal of hyperbole. Why bother ?

Anxiety is a psychiatric disorder; so called "range anxiety" is not
"charge time trauma" is right up there with McDonald's greasy fries.

Back