BrockWI
Posts: 605
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:28 am
Delivery Date: 28 Mar 2014
Leaf Number: 423875
Location: Green Bay, WI.
Contact: Website

Re: Republican tax proposal will terminate $7,500 EV tax credit

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:42 am

I actually did read the blog (great by the way) and I am didn't mean to imply that it should go away. I totally agree that it would hurt the consumers much more than the company's . Also if it were to go away I would think it would put a damper on other companies moving into the market or at least slow the process.
3 kw solar pv - XW6048 - 8 L16's
4 ton GSHP
2003 VW TDI 170k miles - 52 mpg lifetime
evse level 2 - Clipper Creek HSC-40
2013 S model with QC package Mar of 2013

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 12402
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Republican tax proposal will terminate $7,500 EV tax credit

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:59 am

BrockWI wrote:I actually did read the blog (great by the way) and I am didn't mean to imply that it should go away. I totally agree that it would hurt the consumers much more than the company's . Also if it were to go away I would think it would put a damper on other companies moving into the market or at least slow the process.


Well, it could slow the process but lets examine that statement.

My proposal is to end the credit without ramp down on June 30, 2019. That gives companies 18 months to get product out there. This favors us since we now have an entire tax year to figure our finances and determine our best course of action

Hopefully, this will encourage laggards to move their lackadaisical time tables up for EV intros.

This also prevents an unfair market advantage to the companies who have done very little or nothing up to this point.

So that is the points for our side.

The reality is the credit was in danger because many want it to end so this proposal has the huge potential to save the government a lot of money. But if we are going to spend the money, lets give it to the segment of population that can use it the most. The reality is credit or no credit, many will get the EV anyway because they have the money. There are currently way too many people who don't because they don't qualify for the credit and the price is simply beyond their reach OR They are leasing LEAFs on lease/buy to get a good price. That limits the options for a lot of us which means some will elect to not EV at all.

Now will this encourage Tesla to do the half million T 3's annually? Who knows? But what I do know is that Tesla won't sell them if VW comes in with a car with similar capabilities that is $7500 less.
Last edited by DaveinOlyWA on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 27,000 miles.363GID Ahr 79.13Hx95.17%kwh28.1QCs238,L2's 251
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
DNAinaGoodWay
Posts: 2757
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:43 am
Delivery Date: 03 Dec 2012
Leaf Number: 23156
Location: Central Massachusetts

Re: Republican tax proposal will terminate $7,500 EV tax credit

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 am

So, nothing changes. By the fall of 2020, when I’m in the lease market again, Tesla, Nissan, and Chevy will be phased out and will have to compete against OEMs that are still in, assuming no other changes. That should entice those others to step up their games with more offerings and that helps everyone.
'12 SL last reading @ 2 yr, 22k, 260 GIDs, 62.35 Ahr

'15 SV w/QC, Mfd 5/14, Leased 8/14, 292 GIDs, 64.38 Ahr when new
@ 36 months, 34k, 270 GID, 57.49 Ahr

'17 Bolt LT



6.72 kW Array

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 12402
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Republican tax proposal will terminate $7,500 EV tax credit

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:03 am

DNAinaGoodWay wrote:So, nothing changes. By the fall of 2020, when I’m in the lease market again, Tesla, Nissan, and Chevy will be phased out and will have to compete against OEMs that are still in, assuming no other changes. That should entice those others to step up their games with more offerings and that helps everyone.


yeah if the credit is still alive in 2020. I would find that just a bit too much to accept.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 27,000 miles.363GID Ahr 79.13Hx95.17%kwh28.1QCs238,L2's 251
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
DNAinaGoodWay
Posts: 2757
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:43 am
Delivery Date: 03 Dec 2012
Leaf Number: 23156
Location: Central Massachusetts

Re: Republican tax proposal will terminate $7,500 EV tax credit

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:06 am

Only time will tell.
'12 SL last reading @ 2 yr, 22k, 260 GIDs, 62.35 Ahr

'15 SV w/QC, Mfd 5/14, Leased 8/14, 292 GIDs, 64.38 Ahr when new
@ 36 months, 34k, 270 GID, 57.49 Ahr

'17 Bolt LT



6.72 kW Array

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 1724
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Republican tax proposal will terminate $7,500 EV tax credit

Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:41 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
DNAinaGoodWay wrote:So, nothing changes. By the fall of 2020, when I’m in the lease market again, Tesla, Nissan, and Chevy will be phased out and will have to compete against OEMs that are still in, assuming no other changes. That should entice those others to step up their games with more offerings and that helps everyone.


yeah if the credit is still alive in 2020. I would find that just a bit too much to accept.


Me too. They tried to kill it in 2018, who is to say they won't try again in 2019? In fact, by 2019 it may be a good thing for reasons noted above.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

User avatar
LTLFTcomposite
Posts: 4370
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:06 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Boca Raton FL

Re: Republican tax proposal will terminate $7,500 EV tax credit

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:40 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:Me too. They tried to kill it in 2018, who is to say they won't try again in 2019? In fact, by 2019 it may be a good thing for reasons noted above.

No way they'll get another tax reform passed, they'll be lucky to get this one through with a few more rino handouts.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

WetEV
Posts: 1824
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Republican tax proposal will terminate $7,500 EV tax credit

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:57 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:No way they'll get another tax reform passed, they'll be lucky to get this one through with a few more rino handouts.


They might try regular order rather than handouts the next time. There are reasons why phasing out the tax credits across the board in 2020 or so would be a good idea.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

User avatar
DNAinaGoodWay
Posts: 2757
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:43 am
Delivery Date: 03 Dec 2012
Leaf Number: 23156
Location: Central Massachusetts

Re: Republican tax proposal will terminate $7,500 EV tax credit

Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:28 am

Then again, they may never pass anything. A house divided.
'12 SL last reading @ 2 yr, 22k, 260 GIDs, 62.35 Ahr

'15 SV w/QC, Mfd 5/14, Leased 8/14, 292 GIDs, 64.38 Ahr when new
@ 36 months, 34k, 270 GID, 57.49 Ahr

'17 Bolt LT



6.72 kW Array

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 12402
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Republican tax proposal will terminate $7,500 EV tax credit

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:26 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote:Me too. They tried to kill it in 2018, who is to say they won't try again in 2019? In fact, by 2019 it may be a good thing for reasons noted above.

No way they'll get another tax reform passed, they'll be lucky to get this one through with a few more rino handouts.


Interesting article about trump's lying verses previous admins. the differences are glaring.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... pe=article

They did a comprehensive list verified as untruths from independent fact checkers run at the time the claims were made. As you will notice, they made several concessions to make trump look better and Obama look worse. It didn't help.

In a nutshell, Obama when called out on an untruth (mostly overstating things to support his position) he simply stopping saying. trump instead, attacked the accuser claiming all kinds of things including assaulting "their" integrity, etc.

The reality is that trump will continue to hammer on this because his success will save him a ton of money.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 27,000 miles.363GID Ahr 79.13Hx95.17%kwh28.1QCs238,L2's 251
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”