How do you File for the $7500 tax Credit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldstorage5

Hello,
I bought a 2017 new Leaf on 8/17. I want to file my taxes.
I have the 8936 form, and I contacted my accountant, he said I need the "manufacturer certification" that the vehicle meets the standards to qualify for the credit. Did you have to get this form inorder to file? When you filed did you submit this form or just the VIN number?

Thank you!
CS

This is what the IRS stated :
Certification and Other Requirements

Generally, you can rely on the manufacturer’s (or, in the case of a foreign manufacturer, its domestic distributor’s) certification to the IRS that a specific make, model, and model year vehicle qualifies for the credit and, if applicable, the amount of the credit for which it qualifies. The manufacturer or domestic distributor should be able to provide you with a copy of the IRS letter acknowledging the certification of the vehicle.

If, however, the IRS publishes an announcement that the certification for any specific make, model, and model year vehicle has been withdrawn, you cannot rely on the certification for such a vehicle purchased after the date of publication of the withdrawal announcement.

If you purchased a vehicle and its certification was withdrawn on or after the date of purchase, you can rely on such certification even if you had not placed the vehicle in service or claimed the credit by the date the withdrawal announcement was published by the IRS. The IRS will not attempt to collect any understatement of tax liability attributable to reliance on the certification as long as you purchased the vehicle on or before the date the IRS published the withdrawal announcement.

Ive been searching the net. Some has to remember how they filed their taxes, did anyone submit a certificate along with the tax form?
Thank you,
CS

Do you file your own taxes, or does your accountant do them for you?

Any of the major tax preparation packages should be able to handle this, if you do your own.

Based on the response you received, you might need a new accountant.

Just asking if you need a certificate. Or if you did it how did you file and receive the credit. I'm kinda surprised by the lack of answers here seeing that most have filed before 2017

I'm not an accountant or a tax lawyer but I don't think the IRS will give you any trouble with taking the credit for a Leaf. As you as you can prove you actually bought the car during the specified time period there should be no issues. Asking for this certificate strikes me as similar to asking someone to provide a NTSB or CARB certificate that a car passes their requirements before a private sale.

coldstorage5 said:
Just asking if you need a certificate. Or if you did it how did you file and receive the credit. I'm kinda surprised by the lack of answers here seeing that most have filed before 2017

You do not need a certificate to file for the credit. You should have received a copy from the dealer, but it is just to tell you that the car qualifies for the credit, and the maximum amount that can be claimed. The IRS has the final say, and can disqualify or reduce the amount claimable.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/going-green/filing-tax-form-8936-qualified-plug-in-electric-drive-motor-vehicle-credit/L5cQfP3Kg

Back