GRA

California, allies ready for emission-law war with Trump EPA, CARB head says

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:28 pm

Via GCR: https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1115323_california-allies-ready-for-emission-law-war-with-trump-epa-carb-head-says

With the release of proposed new and lower fuel-economy rules expected from the NHTSA by March 30, many eyes have turned to the powerful California Air Resources Board.

That agency . . . will shortly issue its own related proposal for boosting the carbon-dioxide emissions allowed from road vehicles.

California, however, is not likely to accede to any radical increase in national emission standards. Instead, it has a long-established legal right to establish its own, tougher emission rules, recognizing its pioneering role and the specially dire air-pollution conditions in the Los Angeles Basin.
Unless, that is, Pruitt reverses himself and decides to attack that right by rescinding the "waiver" to the national rules that permits that, one of a long series stretching back 30 years.

If Pruitt does that, however, CARB is ready to go to war. In a report by Bloomberg two weeks ago, agency chairman Mary Nichols said, “I think there would be a war, with many states lining up with California” should the agency attempt to revoke California's waiver. . . .

A related article, also GCR:
NHTSA could cite safety of heavier cars in slashing CAFE rules: reports
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1115303_nhtsa-could-cite-safety-of-heavier-cars-in-slashing-cafe-rules-reports
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Re: California, allies ready for emission-law war with Trump EPA, CARB head says

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Via GCR:
Pruitt won't let California set emission standards; EPA not looking at post-2025 rules
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1115739_pruitt-wont-let-california-set-emission-standards-epa-not-looking-at-post-2025-rules

Now, it's war, in the words of California's lead emission regulator.

In what Bloomberg News called a "wide-ranging interview" with EPA chief Scott Pruitt, he indicated the agency does not intend to let California set the agenda for national emission limits on vehicles.

Bringing California into line would require eliminating the state's 50-year history of regulating vehicle emissions within its borders by revoking the current waiver to national rules, the latest in dozens of such waivers spanning decades. . . .

In a variety of venues, the Golden State has indicated it will fiercely fight any efforts to curtail its half-century of regulating vehicle emissions within its borders.

CARB head Mary Nichols told Bloomberg on Tuesday, “My only comment is, ‘nothing new.’ That’s it.”

Nichols said in early February, “I think there would be a war, with many states lining up with California” should the agency attempt to revoke California's waiver. . . .

If the EPA does move to limit or end California's decades of setting its own emission standards, it will likely become a fierce and prolonged legal battle—one the automakers want to avoid.

The second Bush administration's stalling on carbon-dioxide emission rules brought automakers to within less than two years of the 2012 model year without knowing the regulations those vehicles would have to meet.

Environmental groups reacted with outrage to the reported EPA plans. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”