India plan for converting to electric cars by 2030 may get trimmed, a lot

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via GCR: https://www.greencarreports.com/new...o-electric-cars-by-2030-may-get-trimmed-a-lot

Two years ago, the government of India proposed a remarkable and ambitious goal: make every new vehicle coming onto its roads electric by 2030. The plan was largely a response to some of the world's highest levels of hazardous air pollution in its cities, higher in many cases than the legendary foul air in Chinese cities. . . .

But now, that goal may be modified, delayed, or dialed back significantly. A report in the Nikkei Asian Review on Thursday suggested that the government has concluded a more realistic goal would be plug-in vehicles representing 30 percent of new sales by 2030.

In two or three weeks, the country's power minister, R.K. Singh, is expected to release his ministry's policies and rules for electric utilities and providers of electric-car charging stations. . . .

Opinions vary as to whether the goal of selling only fully electric vehicles by 2030 was practical or achievable in India, where roughly 3 million new vehicles were sold last year. That is just one-tenth the size of China's new-vehicle market. . . .

India's proposal to end sales of vehicles powered by fossil fuels comes with unique challenges. One is a per-capita annual income of just $1,670; another is the fact that today, 50 million homes in India have no electric service at all. . . .
Apparently reality is finally starting to take hold - there's no way in hell India's electricity infrastructure could meet the 100% goal for decades yet.

GRA said:
Via GCR: https://www.greencarreports.com/new...o-electric-cars-by-2030-may-get-trimmed-a-lot

...India's proposal to end sales of vehicles powered by fossil fuels comes with unique challenges. One is a per-capita annual income of just $1,670; another is the fact that today, 50 million homes in India have no electric service at all. . . .
Apparently reality is finally starting to take hold - there's no way in hell India's electricity infrastructure could meet the 100% goal for decades yet.
While I agree with your conclusion, I fail to see the relevance of the portion that you highlighted. Ask yourself this: How many households without electricity own an ICE-powered vehicle?

While I agree with your conclusion, I fail to see the relevance of the portion that you highlighted. Ask yourself this: How many households without electricity own an ICE-powered vehicle?

Far more than would do so if they had to plug the car in for any reason.

LeftieBiker said:
Far more than would do so if they had to plug the car in for any reason.
Unless both numbers are zero. But that's beside the point. The point is that looking at the poorest couple of percent of the Indian population gives virtually no insight into the electrification of the automobile. To focus on those 50 million households when talking about this subject is nothing other than a diversion, intentional or not.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:

...India's proposal to end sales of vehicles powered by fossil fuels comes with unique challenges. One is a per-capita annual income of just $1,670; another is the fact that today, 50 million homes in India have no electric service at all. . . .
I highlighted that to indicate how skewed the priorities are. There are large numbers of Indians who still lack clean drinking water, sewage treatment, garbage pickup, decent housing, electricity, etc, all the civil infrastructure we take for granted in the developed world. To announce a totally unrealistic date to phase out ICEs and focus on EVs at this time is ludicrous given the average income there, even assuming that it were possible to support them. As it is, the cheapest car sold in India costs $3,300, so unless EVs can come anywhere close to that, who's going to be able to afford them?

Back