IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Re: Ford plans to eliminate most passenger cars for US market, will focus on trucks, SUVs and commercial vehicles

Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:51 pm

Oh man! I think we just derailed this thread! But anyhow, here's another one.

When I was recently married my wife had never driven in the snow nor had ever driven a stick shift. All I had at the time was a 1993 Mazda 323 with a stick shift that I had bought for $250. (And the thing got 45mpg, no kidding!) Any how, that summer I showed her how to drive the thing. We lived down in a trailer park that was kind of down in a hole so to speak. After it snowed about a foot or more one day a 4WD extended cab Dodge Ram diesel was trying to get out of the trailer park up onto the main road. But with his oversized wheels he just couldn't make it. They just kept spinning and spinning, something I call the "sled effect". He must have been trying for at least 10 minutes or so until finally he backed up all the way to the very end of the whole trailer park and made a run for it down the whole length and finally made it up onto the road, almost going off the other side of course. Then my little wife who just learned how to drive a stick in a our little FWD Mazda, with good all season tires on, went right up to the stop sign at that road, stopped right on steepest part of the incline, and proceded to take off with hardly any wheel spin right onto the road with no problem on the first try.

I'm so proud of my wife!
2013 SL 50,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

iPlug
Delivery Date: 25 Apr 2016

Re: Ford plans to eliminate most passenger cars for US market, will focus on trucks, SUVs and commercial vehicles

Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:03 pm

Not sure past will be precedent here - future high gas prices may not substantially hurt Ford's scheme the next time around. Like Americans upsizing houses over the last few decades, I would bet this time is different and that SUVs and trucks are here to stay as a large percent of new vehicle sales.

Fuel expenditures represent less and less of of the average commuter budget over time. And with further hybridization and electrification, gasoline prices becomes less of an issue.

Once Americans get a taste of hauling around a beast of spaciousness and one-upping their fellow commuters for visibility, it’s hard to go back to sanity.
2016 Leaf SV (leased) + 2012 Plug-in Prius (own), 11.43 kW Solar PV (>15MWh/yr actual production), Clipper Creek Level-2 7.7 kW charging stations x2, 3.70 UEF heat pump water heater, 23.50 SEER/10.20 HSPF Air-Source Heat Pump (install pending)

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:23 am

Most of what people are buying now aren't the monster truck frame SUVs, bit rather the crossovers, basically just tall cars. Many of the newer models aren't all that tall, look at the Honda hrv and Nissan rogue sport, not all that different from a LEAF.

If anything I'd add this changing consumer preference to the list of risks for Tesla, they are mostly selling cars in a world that is looking for a different form factor.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:42 am

Looks like a good and effective way to cut ties with a ton of dealerships. Cleaning house might not be such a bad idea. All manufacturers seem to have rogue dealerships.

Simply offer a product line they can no longer solely survive on. Dealership likely merges with an existing dealership or closes altogether.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 5775 miles, 488 GIDs, 38 kwh 113.37 Ahr available, SOH 98.21, Hx 115.75
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:27 am

I read a while back an article by Car and Driver that was an eye opener. Generally speaking, a station wagon will cost less, have more room, be more efficient and perhaps even have more power than a crossover. A minivan will also cost less, have more passenger room and be more efficient than a full sized SUV. The thing of it is if you drive a minivan or station wagon you are considered a soccer mom or grandpa. But you're cool if you drive a crossover or SUV.

The problem with making electric SUVs and crossovers is that right now EV's are already expensive and by making them more expensive and less efficient will only hurt their already limited range or make them cost even more.
2013 SL 50,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:51 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:Looks like a good and effective way to cut ties with a ton of dealerships. Cleaning house might not be such a bad idea. All manufacturers seem to have rogue dealerships.

Simply offer a product line they can no longer solely survive on. Dealership likely merges with an existing dealership or closes altogether.

Most Ford sales are apparently CUVs/SUVs and trucks. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Ford dealership that passed on selling those higher-profit vehicles in favor of lower margin cars.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:28 pm

IssacZachary wrote:The problem with making electric SUVs and crossovers is that right now EV's are already expensive and by making them more expensive and less efficient will only hurt their already limited range or make them cost even more.

Agreed. But they could be great candidates for PHEV technology. Ford's Energi drive train was pretty good when introduced in 2013. If Ford upgraded the battery, the packaging, and fixed some quirks (make it more EV-centric and less Hybrid-centric), it would be a great fit in an SUV like an Escape or even an Explorer.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

LeftieBiker

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:32 pm

US manufacturers are likely watching to see how well the Mitsu PHEV SUV sells here.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:05 pm

One more reason that I hope the Outlander PHEV is wildly successful. I know Ford teased an Escape Energi years ago. I wish they would make it already.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

LeftieBiker

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:54 pm

I know Ford teased an Escape Energi years ago. I wish they would make it already.

Well, they will have already built drivetrains and a production line to build more of them, but no more cars, so it should be a no-brainer for Ford to try offering an Escape Energi, at least in CARB states.

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”