GCR: Texas reinstates incentives for electric and alternative fuel cars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ntives-for-electric-and-alternative-fuel-cars

After a three-year hiatus, Texas has reinstated purchase rebates for plug-in electric and other alternative-fuel vehicles.

Texans who buy electric cars after Sept. 1 can get a $2,500 rebate from the state, according to a report in the Dallas Morning News, in addition to the $7,500 tax credit from the federal government.

Buyers of fuel-cell cars get the same $2,500.

Texas being oil country, those who buy cars that run on compressed natural gas or liquid propane gas get an even bigger rebate of $5,000.

The rebates apply to any new electric, fuel-cell, propane, or natural gas vehicle bought or leased in Texas that is not purchased as part of a fleet—with one big exception: Because the program is administered through Texas car dealerships, Teslas are not eligible. Texas is one of the states that bars Tesla sales because the company does not use franchised dealers.

Rebates are pro-rated on leased cars for the term of the lease.

Buyers have a short window to earn the rebates. Texas has allocated up to $7.3 million to fund the program, which will expire on May 31, 2019 or when the money runs out. The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality can issue a maximum of 2,000 rebates for electric and fuel-cell vehicles and 1,000 rebates for natural gas cars. . . .

On the one hand, I appreciate that Texas is bring back incentives.

On the other hand, why 'effective September 1'? This will kill any sales of eligible vehicles during this summer. I feel sorry for the poor sap who buys in late August just to get ridiculed for missing out on the incentives. Seriously, if someone needs to replace their car this summer, why deny them the incentive if they are interested in a greener option?

DarthPuppy said:

On the other hand, why 'effective September 1'? This will kill any sales of eligible vehicles during this summer. I feel sorry for the poor sap who buys in late August just to get ridiculed for missing out on the incentives. Seriously, if someone needs to replace their car this summer, why deny them the incentive if they are interested in a greener option?

Actually, the purchase must be made on/after September 1 2017, not 2018. Page 7 of this PDF, section 1.3
https://www.tceq.texas.gov/assets/public/implementation/air/terp/LDPLIP/FY18_LDPLIP_NoR_Final.pdf

philaphonic said:
DarthPuppy said:

Actually, the purchase must be made on/after September 1 2017, not 2018. Page 7 of this PDF, section 1.3
https://www.tceq.texas.gov/assets/public/implementation/air/terp/LDPLIP/FY18_LDPLIP_NoR_Final.pdf

Thanks for correcting on this. I was working off the above quote which didn't specify the year.

And yes, 2,000 is a small drop in that market.

Back