GCC: Workers’ earnings and how they commute to work

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/06/20180626-sivak.html

. . . Driving alone is most likely (at 81.4%) for those earning between $50,0000 and $64,999, and this percentage decreases as earnings decrease or increase. Driving alone is least likely (at 66.1%) for those earning the least.

Carpooling is most likely (at 12.5%) for those earning the least, and this percentage decreases as earnings increase. Carpooling is least likely (at 5.8%) for those earning the most.

Using public transportation is least likely (at 3.9%) for those earning between $35,000 and $49,999, and this percentage increases as earnings decrease or increase. Using public transportation is most likely (at 6.6%) for those earning the most.

Walking is least likely (at 1.4%) for those earning between $65,000 and $74,999, and this percentage increases as earnings decrease or increase. Walking is most likely (at 6.5%) for those earning the least.

Working from home is least likely (at 3.7%) for those earning between $25,000 and $49,999, and this percentage increases as earnings decrease or increase. Working from home is most likely (at 7.5%) for those earning the most.

In comparison to those earning the most, those earning the least are about 1.2 times less likely to drive alone, use public transportation, and work from home, but 2.2 times more likely to carpool and 3.6 time more likely to walk.

How much the obtained patterns reflect necessity versus choice cannot be ascertained from these data. However, those who earn more generally have more choices available.
2016 data. There's a chart breaking down the income levels and types of travel.

Interesting how they found that people at the top end of the earning spectrum are more likely to use public transportation. I wonder if it has to do with folks who live in transit-dense cities like NYC or SF which require fairly high incomes to live within them?

RonDawg said:
Interesting how they found that people at the top end of the earning spectrum are more likely to use public transportation. I wonder if it has to do with folks who live in transit-dense cities like NYC or SF which require fairly high incomes to live within them?
Probably, although one of the reasons they're so popular and expensive is that they're so dense, where walking, biking, etc. work well, public transit routes with dedicated, separate rights of way are available, and car ownership's a pain owing to congestion, limited and expensive parking, and high insurance costs. See
How Car-Free is New York City?
http://blog.tstc.org/2017/04/21/car-free-new-york-city/

As you can see, Manhattan has both the highest car-free household % of the five boroughs, and also the highest average incomes. Car parking is the least valuable use of expensive real estate.

I expect the above also covers a lot of the people who ride the Acela in the NE corridor, and commute trains into SF and greater NYC.

Back