IEVS: Autolib Cancels Contract With Bollore – Electric Car Sharing Dead

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

https://insideevs.com/autolib-cancels-contract-with-bollore-electric-car-sharing-dead/

Around seven years after the launch of the first and biggest all-electric car sharing system – Autolib in Paris – it’s terminated because of massive losses.

The Syndicat Autolib ‘Vélib’ Métropole (SAVM), which brings together the 103 partner municipalities, decided to end the scheme before it expires in 2023 when it saw the bill of €46 million ($56 million) of annual deficit (€233.7 million by 2023), which by 2023 would increase to cumulative losses of €300 million ($350 million).

Autolib already lost around €60 million and there is no increase in the number of users. All the while, the company received criticism about the poorly maintained and dirty vehicles.

More than 3,200 individual charging stalls are expected to remain installed for general use, while the 4,000 Bollore Bluecars soon will be removed from service. It’s not yet clear whether another car sharing system will fill the gap. . . .

The open question now is how Bollore’s Blue Solution car sharing system will do in other cities around the world – including Indianapolis and Los Angeles.

GRA said:
https://insideevs.com/autolib-cancels-contract-with-bollore-electric-car-sharing-dead/

Around seven years after the launch of the first and biggest all-electric car sharing system – Autolib in Paris – it’s terminated because of massive losses.

The Syndicat Autolib ‘Vélib’ Métropole (SAVM), which brings together the 103 partner municipalities, decided to end the scheme before it expires in 2023 when it saw the bill of €46 million ($56 million) of annual deficit (€233.7 million by 2023), which by 2023 would increase to cumulative losses of €300 million ($350 million).

Autolib already lost around €60 million and there is no increase in the number of users. All the while, the company received criticism about the poorly maintained and dirty vehicles.

More than 3,200 individual charging stalls are expected to remain installed for general use, while the 4,000 Bollore Bluecars soon will be removed from service. It’s not yet clear whether another car sharing system will fill the gap. . . .

The open question now is how Bollore’s Blue Solution car sharing system will do in other cities around the world – including Indianapolis and Los Angeles.

Yeah, I've been following this too. I had my doubts when I saw Indianapolis adopt them. The city put in a lot of L2 chargers in the downtown area. (We had come in on the train and took a walk to the Circle.) The mayor had to defend the program at one time but I haven't heard about it since then. Meanwhile there's been industrial movement in Indiana to EVs. There's little policy support for EVs but both Borg Warner and Cummins have been developing EV truck drive trains and there's quite a few DCFC stations in Indianapolis but zilch elsewhere in the state.

Paul

Back